• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

State of the Union: Rangers Edition (Post Trade Deadline)

10 hours ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

While Drury was largely able to plug the hole at 3C to give it stronger defensive mettle, Wennberg doesn't replace Chytil's scoring production. Nor does Roslovic address the main reason that it was worth swinging for Guentzel or why Vatrano would again be a good fit - the ability to put the puck in the net. I had really hoped to get someone who's regularly scored around 20-25 goals a year; nothing super fancy but a reasonably reliable scorer to jumpstart the KZ combination.  While Roslovic has some strengths and though he broke 20 once, he doesn't appear to be that guy. (I don't think Duclair was that guy either.)

The Rangers have been super challenged to score in the Playoffs the last two seasons as teams have found a way to neutralize Panarin. I think it will continue to be a struggle. Maybe the cohesion with Troch and Laf represents an upgrade, but teams' top shutdown units are going to be on them like proverbial flies on shit.

So for me it's the main box that wasn't adequately checked. (Though I'll take Phil's point on piss and vinegar.)

The point about panarins line is a good one. While I’ve been an advocate of keeping that line together you are right about what will happen in the playoffs. I wonder if it’s time now to try to split it up so One or both of Trochek and lafreniere have time to find their feet with another line. I’d hate to go into the playoffs knowing we will need to split them up and they have no reps doing it for more than a period

14 minutes ago, Valriera said:

The point about panarins line is a good one. While I’ve been an advocate of keeping that line together you are right about what will happen in the playoffs. I wonder if it’s time now to try to split it up so One or both of Trochek and lafreniere have time to find their feet with another line. I’d hate to go into the playoffs knowing we will need to split them up and they have no reps doing it for more than a period

I actually think that the P-T-L line has found that rare and mystical quality, synergy. I think the combination has proven to be greater than the sum of its parts and I am dubious that splitting them up will achieve equivalent value to what we're getting now, particularly at this point in the season. We know that Panarin doesn't click with just anyone and, going back to ye olde days of Strome, his game ratchets up when he is comfortable and confident with his linemates. That comfort didn't come the first couple of go-rounds with Trocheck and - now that it's here - I would be very reluctant to mess with it. I also think Laf's quantum improvement has had a lot to do with playing  with both of those guys and I would fear a return to him skating around not knowing what to do. It's only logical that they would get the most defensive attention, but I think they're up to it. The point is that KZ? needs to draw more attention so that other teams can't focus only on PTL.

45 minutes ago, Valriera said:

I don't think you can split the Bread Line at this point.  It's really up to MZ and to a lesser extent Adam Fox to shoot more and score some goals.

Fox should be a 20 goal scorer.  It's clear that he has the shot, the moves and the vision to get more good opportunities from the slot and the top of the circles.  He chooses to penetrate and dish off but because of the makeup of the team that dish off just turns into a cycle most of the time.

When in doubt take the shot.  That is the transition both Zib and Fox need to make.

Edited by Br4d

I get all that and it’s Mika’s job to get Mika going but that’s not what I’m suggesting here. It’s easy to shut down one dangerous line in the playoffs and that will happen to this line. Knowing that, I wonder if it’s worthwhile to split them now so they have a chance to get going for themselves ahead of this guaranteed situation. As good as they’ve been they’re not Crosby guentzel unstoppable good. Ppl are just going to shut one line on our team down

The reality the Rangers face right now is that one of their top lines is not a scoring line at 5v5.  Gotta fix that or nothing else will matter.

Option 1 - The current setup

Panarin - Trocheck - Laf

Kreider-Zibanejad - Roslovic

Cuylle - Wennberg - Kakko

Vesey - Goodrow - Rempe

Option 2 - Leveraging Roslovic to try Laf on line 2

Panarin - Trocheck - Roslovic

Kreider - Zibanejad - Laf

Cuylle - Wennberg - Kakko

Vesey - Goodrow - Rempe

Option 3 - Last resort if CK-MZ remain subpar scoring at 5v5

Panarin - Zibanejad - Laf

Kreider - Trocheck - Kakko

Cuylle - Wennberg - Roslovic

Vesey - Goodrow - Rempe

13 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

The issue with the Panarin line is they are terrible defensively. If they get shutdown it’s going to be a shitshow of a line, which has been typical of any line Panarin has been on in the playoffs for the Rangers.

Just my take but I think Panarin has been playing better defensively recently.  He's even done some work around the crease when necessary.

It's his effort that is going to define whether that line can hold it's own defensively.  I think Laf is going to take queues from him on what is needed.

• Like 1

The problem with Panarin is he thinks about making plays too much instead of shooting first.  He'd do more for the team if he shot first and thought less.  I'm not a big fan of Lafranier and think he could be traded for a pure goal scorer.  His opportunities to score far exceed his ability to put the puck into the net.  Is it him or is it a coaching issue?  Whatever it is he can skate rings around most opponents, hang onto the puck, make plays, but he can't score at-will. The Rangers need to figure out how to coach him up to score given all of his chances or trade him for a high value goal scorer.

They filled the need for an enforcer with Rempe and even Edstrom adds the physical presence they were lacking.  I'd like to see Rempe get more involved with the players that run at Fox and poke at Igor, even if it means taking some line rotation chances against opponents.

I have no idea if the players the Rangers added will add anything to this team right now.  As a unit when they are rolling they are really really potent - potent enough to be in first place and at the top of the league.  I'm good with that for now.  No cup though without some more "meanness" and a pure goal scorer

16 minutes ago, Steve said:

The problem with Panarin is he thinks about making plays too much instead of shooting first.  He'd do more for the team if he shot first and thought less.  I'm not a big fan of Lafranier and think he could be traded for a pure goal scorer.  His opportunities to score far exceed his ability to put the puck into the net.  Is it him or is it a coaching issue?  Whatever it is he can skate rings around most opponents, hang onto the puck, make plays, but he can't score at-will. The Rangers need to figure out how to coach him up to score given all of his chances or trade him for a high value goal scorer.

They filled the need for an enforcer with Rempe and even Edstrom adds the physical presence they were lacking.  I'd like to see Rempe get more involved with the players that run at Fox and poke at Igor, even if it means taking some line rotation chances against opponents.

I have no idea if the players the Rangers added will add anything to this team right now.  As a unit when they are rolling they are really really potent - potent enough to be in first place and at the top of the league.  I'm good with that for now.  No cup though without some more "meanness" and a pure goal scorer

Panarin has had the best season of his career because he’s shooting more.

As for Laf… don’t worry. The finish is coming 

that’s a hard tool to develop 

• Keeps it 100 2