• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Canucks Frustrated by Pettersson Negotiatons; Rick Dahliwal Says They 'Gotta Do Their Homework When it Comes to a Trade'

Phil

"Canucks aren't getting any indication from Pettersson that he wants to be here long-term. There's frustration there. I still have no intel he wants out. Up until now I always thought Pettersson would re-sign but I'm not so sure now. Vancouver's gotta do their homework... when it comes to a trade."

This is a direct quote from Rick Dhaliwal on the Donnie & Dhali podcast.

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/canucks-insider-rick-dhaliwal-with-a-bombshell-report-on-elias-pettersson

• Phil changed the title to Canucks Frustrated by Pettersson Negotiatons; Rick Dahliwal Says They 'Gotta Do Their Homework When it Comes to a Trade'

No way the Canucks are trading Pettersson until this season plays out.

After that they probably will deal him if they can't get him to re-up.  I don't think it's a question of reasonable price because there is no reasonable price for a 25 year old center with Pettersson's track record.  If Pettersson is not dealing with them right now it is because he doesn't want to be there. 

If they can't get him signed by this summer, he's a goner IMO. They'll get a bigger return with one more year of control than they will right before UFA, I think (though the Lindholm return might suggest otherwise).

Odds are, they can get a huge return for EP, too, and just back fill with Miller at 1C and Lindholm re-signed at 2C.

They should do the one year arbitration thing.

They need to keep him right now because they're One of the best teams in the league right now.

I just don't see them being as good next season as they are this season. 

Agree with @Phil, Aho will slot in fine behind Miller. 

The Lindholm trade makes more sense if the Canucks knew they were getting resistance from Pettersson.  They can recoup the picks they gave up for Lindholm when they deal Pettersson.

I'm usually an advocate for making a trade for a young star if possible however I'm not sure Pettersson is the right fit for the Rangers right now.

1 minute ago, Br4d said:

The Lindholm trade makes more sense if the Canucks knew they were getting resistance from Pettersson.  They can recoup the picks they gave up for Lindholm when they deal Pettersson.

I'm usually an advocate for making a trade for a young star if possible however I'm not sure Pettersson is the right fit for the Rangers right now.

Unlikely. Not unless you're dumping Zibanejad in return, and that just doesn't seem likely (because it's pretty common knowledge that Canadian teams are essentially on every no-trade list).

He's smart to hold off. It's a numbers game. He stands to make more when other teams are competing for his signature, and if he really wants to hold Vancouver's feet to the fire, he can almost assuredly get 10 or so from an arbitrator. Heck, he might get 12 for one season because this offer is public and the Canucks will have a hard time arguing against it. So there's 1x12. 

Now consider this. First, competition drives up prices unless there's a clear destination in mind (see: Artemi Panarin), and a contract signed in Vancouver is one of the worst deals in the league. With a rising cap, he's probably looking at more like 13-15M a season, pending how hard competition is and how much the cap goes up. On 13.5M, there are six teams where, given the right contract structure, Pettersson could net out almost 10m on top of what he'd net with the exact same deal in Vancouver. In fact, nearly half the league will net him 4m more than Vancouver over the course of the contract. 

So scenario 1 is that he gets 8 years, 96m from Vancouver, and nets around 49m. Scenario 2 is he gets 1 year, 12m from the Canucks, then 7 years, 94.5M from another team, and nets out 57m or so over the contract. And he also doesn't have to play in Vancouver.

I don't even know what a package from the Rangers would look like. Probably Lafreniere and Schneider for starters. Then keep adding.

Pettersson is going to cost in the 12s long term pretty easily. I don't think the Rangers have that kind of cap space until summer 2026.

10 hours ago, Phil said:

Zibanejad (salary), Lafreniere, Othmann, 1st, 2nd.

Something like this.

I'm really not interested. It's not a fit. Just sign McDavid when he goes UFA.

Now we're talking!

Ironically, McDavid's deal ends the same year that Panarin's does. ('25-'26)

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Now we're talking!

Ironically, McDavid's deal ends the same year that Panarin's does. ('25-'26)

That's the move.

Lafreniere McDavid Perrault

Kreider Zib Othmann

Sykora Trocheck Kakko

Who Fucking Cares

Lord Stanley Awaits 

💦 💦 💦

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1
  • Believe 1

25 minutes ago, Pete said:

That's the move.

Kreider Zib Othmann

Sykora Trocheck Kakko

Who Fucking Cares

Lord Stanley Awaits 

💦 💦 💦

Perreault feels a little premature here, but also:

3wPK60w.png

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Perreault feels a little premature here, but also:

3wPK60w.png

No he doesn't. 

Also need to make an edit.

Cullye Zib Othmann

Sykora Trocheck Kakko

Who Fucking Cares

Lord Stanley Awaits 

Edited by Pete
Kreider traded for someone who gives maximum effort

30 minutes ago, Pete said:

That's the move.

Kreider Zib Othmann

Sykora Trocheck Kakko

Who Fucking Cares

Lord Stanley Awaits 

💦 💦 💦

That's pretty much where we're headed right now!!!

Question:  Goalie?

10 hours ago, Pete said:

That's the move.

Kreider Zib Othmann

Sykora Trocheck Kakko

Who Fucking Cares

Lord Stanley Awaits 

💦 💦 💦

10 hours ago, Pete said:

No he doesn't. 

Also need to make an edit.

Cullye Zib Othmann

Sykora Trocheck Kakko

Who Fucking Cares

Lord Stanley Awaits 

Was gonna say shit, even in 2 years KZ will still be together lol

• LMFAO 1

Keirik
This post was recognized by Keirik!

Valriera was awarded the badge 'Problem Solver'

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

That's pretty much where we're headed right now!!!

Question:  Goalie?

Kreider is gonna switch to goalie bc he’s great at standing still in front of the net 

• Like 1
  • LMFAO 2
  • Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

Perreault is looking like he may move faster than originally expected right now.

Faster than expected is relative to the NHL, not the first line on a Cup contending team, but I'll freely admit it's possible.

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

Faster than expected is relative to the NHL, not the first line on a Cup contending team, but I'll freely admit it's possible.

That’s very true is well.

But what’s out there now about him… from a multitude of sources, is that this kid is the steal of his draft class and potentially a superstar. 

Obviously, we should temper our optimism. He’s still a kid and it’s college hockey that he’s tearing up right now.

Also, he’s playing on a line with Smith and Leonard, both of whom are talented and were drafted in front of him.

And they’ve all 3 played as line mates for a few seasons now, so there’s a big advantage in chemistry.

But still, he’s looking outstanding. 

1 hour ago, Phil said:

If they want to play him in a role that's suited for him and where he will have the most amount of room to use his skill, that would be the line to do it.

However, the most outlandish thing in that lineup is not having him on the first line, it's having McDavid.