• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rempe Not Expected to Have Hearing for Bastian Hit

Phil

Because he did nothing wrong. Lame penalty, especially a match. Someone in the GDT said a charging penalty at most. it sucks for this kid because his chance in the big show could severely be effected by that call. It's the difference between looking at him as a liability over an asset. I feel bad for him and hope he gets to stay up.

9 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Best part was Siegenthaler cowering like a bitch when Rempe went back at him for trying to stick up for Bastian.

He didn't cower, he fucked around and found out (in a single punch).

• LMFAO 1

8 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Best part was Siegenthaler cowering like a bitch when Rempe went back at him for trying to stick up for Bastian.

Van Halen put it best:  OU812

It was like, "Here, take a few for the road, you little bitch!"

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I think Sieg wanted to stick up for his teammate, just do some face washing rather than fighting, took a half hearted swing and missed. Rempe waxed his face with one shot. Oops

• Keeps it 100 1

There was no intent to injure, never should have been a match.

This is good news though, I seem to remember a match carrying an automatic 1 game suspension, glad to see that rule was changed.

16 minutes ago, Phil said:

I thought the same. I think it's discretionary, maybe?

Actually, he's technically suspended until the commissioner says otherwise. Interesting read here.

A player who is assessed a match penalty receives 15 minutes in penalty time — a five-minute major when his team plays one man short, plus a 10-minute misconduct to go along with his ejection.

The player is also automatically suspended from further action until NHL commissioner Gary Bettman rules on what supplemental discipline, if any, will be added to the initial infraction. That typically happens the day after the incident takes place.

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TroCheckmark 1

To me it shouldn’t have been even 2 minutes penalty. Fucking guy was driving along the board, head down and tilted forward, watching the puck he possessed. Rempe had all the rights to hit him. There was no indication of attempt to injure, just a hard hit straight up. When you are 7 feet tall and 6 feet guy is leaning forward with his head down there always be a head contact one way or another.

• Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, Art20c said:

To me it shouldn’t have been even 2 minutes penalty. Fucking guy was driving along the board, head down and tilted forward, watching the puck he possessed. Rempe had all the rights to hit him. There was no indication of attempt to injure, just a hard hit straight up. When you are 7 feet tall and 6 feet guy is leaning forward with his head down there always be a head contact one way or another.

Yup. Loved Ryan Whitney's take on it:

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

Hockey play with a tough result.

I didn't think it was a charge...he only took 2 strides off the bench.

Contact to head?  Yes 

Targeted the head?  No

Hands down  - Check

Elbows down? - Check

Hockey is hockey....he's getting hit along the boards...Fucking man up!

Edit:

@Phil you're killing me today!!  LOL

Edited by Ozzy
  • Keeps it 100 1

I think the league is instinctively blind to hits to the head. I get that they’re serious but sometimes they’re accidental, sometimes they’re unavoidable, sometimes they’re on purpose. The ones that need to go on the predatory ones, done with purpose. If a guy has a size mismatch with another guy and there’s contact accidentally or because of the size difference, that isn’t on that player. It wasn’t done with intent to drill him in the head. He was certainly looking to lay a hit on him. The ones that are done with intent or are done when it could be avoided are what need to go. I don’t see this is one of those. And that’s not said with blinders on.

Edited by RichieNextel305