• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Blake Wheeler Out for Year

27 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Let's just be honest - this was a brutal-looking injury, and if he isn't done for the season, he is incredibly lucky.

Rangers are incredibly lucky if he is out for the season, because he doesn't make it a tough choice. He needed to go, and now they can pull the trigger on a trade and not have to worry about it. 

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

Rangers are incredibly lucky if he is out for the season, because he doesn't make it a tough choice. He needed to go, and now they can pull the trigger on a trade and not have to worry about it. 

I felt like an asshole for thinking this way after it happened. I see you don’t have that issue 😆

• LMFAO 3

58 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I felt like an asshole for thinking this way after it happened. I see you don’t have that issue 😆

It's not that I don't feel like an asshole, it's that I'm not worried about showing it. 

• LMFAO 3
  • Applause 1

Brutal break for Wheeler. I really do feel for him. Didn’t want to see it go that way for him here.

However, like Pete said, I almost liken this to the Chytil situation where you can stare down the barrel at an oncoming issue all you want, but it’s coming. With Chytil, obviously it’s serious because it’s his well-being. For Wheeler, the concern and issue was going to be how to take a well respected veteran out of the lineup in March who is having difficulty keeping up in this lineup and who’s only “home” has been on a top line that badly needs some assistance in the position he holds.

But again, as much as I don’t want the worst for Wheeler who has been a good addition, this opens up more space, more room and avoids the awkward exchange that would have likely had to have been had at some point.

I said it in the GDT, but my first thought was Tarasenko Part Deux.

interesting to read this morning that they moved othman to the right side last week in hartford.  

good time to experiment from within prior to chasing vatrano of tarasanko, which they probably will do anyway.

tough break for wheeler.  im not as down on him as some of u.  i know he's lost a step but still by all accounts had been a good role model and locker room guy.

7 hours ago, Pete said:

Not gonna lie, thought the same thing. Makes the search for a top 6 RW even more crucial at this point. Does this open up any more cap space? I'm not as versed on LTIR as most of you.

9 minutes ago, RangerDanger said:

Not gonna lie, thought the same thing. Makes the search for a top 6 RW even more crucial at this point. Does this open up any more cap space? I'm not as versed on LTIR as most of you.

I'm curious as well. It seems to be more of a calculation than just subtracting his salary from the whole cap. 

28 minutes ago, RangerDanger said:

He doesn't make enough to really impact anything. Its $800k or so. 

• TroCheckmark 1

Vladimir Tarasenko, you are once again a New York Ranger.

I missed the game because I was out, but saw the highlights. That looked really bad. Could be similar to Kakko as mentioned, maybe a torn something? Either way, I'm not really expecting him back. It looked like a career-ender, which is pretty shitty. I don't like seeing anybody go out like that.

• Keeps it 100 1

Guilty as charged, your honor!

I thought the same thing.  I was like, "well....that just made Drury's decision very easy."  Feel bad for Wheeler though.  It looked like the guys really like him a lot in there.  I wish him the best in his recovery, and maybe he can still hang around as a coach or something.

Make no mistake boys, It's Vladdy time yet again here in the Big City.  I also didn't think it was any coincidence he went to Ottawa on a 1 year deal.  It's like a fucking "waiting room" over there for him.

The question now is "when"....not "if"

"Hello, Mr. Dorion please.....

Yes, it's Chris Drury again......Ok I'll hold!"

Edited by Ozzy
  • LOL 1

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I thought the same thing.  I was like, "well....that just made Drury's decision very easy."  Feel bad for Wheeler though.  It looked like the guys really like him a lot in there.  I wish him the best in his recovery, and maybe he can still hang around as a coach or something.

Make no mistake boys, It's Vladdy time yet again here in the Big City.  I also didn't think it was any coincidence he went to Ottawa on a 1 year deal.  It's like a fucking "waiting room" over there for him.

I love that they got him relatively early last season. I’d love to see the same this season.
TDL is too late in the season. 

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

4 minutes ago, phillyb said:

I love that they got him relatively early last season. I’d love to see the same this season.
TDL is too late in the season. 

I think the writing's on the wall for it now, Philly!  He shouldn't cost a lot, and I hope this time we can squeeze it to resign him.  I'd even take a couple more ELC players from Hartford like Edstrom, Rempe, Othmann and also keep Brodz to hope we could fit the Tank in there.

G Man and Brooksie have more of a grip on that capology shit.  If Drury can't swing it I think G, and Brooksie can do it for him!  LOL

Edited by Ozzy
  • Bullseye 1

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I think the writing's on the wall for it now, Philly!  He shouldn't cost a lot, and I hope this time we can squeeze it to resign him.  I'd even take a couple more ELC players from Hartford like Edstrom, Rempe, Othmann and also keep Brodz to hope we could fit the Tank in there.

G Man and Brooksie have more of a grip on that capology shit.  If Drury can't swing it I think G, and Brooksie can do it for him!  LOL

Short of Tarasenko taking a sizable pay cut or moving >4m in cap out, it won't happen. Sorry to burst the bubble on the long-term stuff. It'd take something like making a decision on Trouba not coming back to open up space for what Tarasenko would likely get elsewhere.

It hinges on his ask. If he wants 3 years, 4m a year, and a full NMC? I think we can figure that out by moving on from Goodrow. If he wants what he's really worth and another contract like what STL gave him? It won't be us giving it to him.

• TroCheckmark 1

It would be kind of hilarious if they wound up getting Vlad and Vatrano again. lol I don't think it will happen, though. Perhaps one, but not both this time around. Tarasenko and probably Henrique are the two most likely trade candidates. Well, maybe one or the other, anyway.

I really don't want Henrique anymore.

1. Phil hates him

2. I don't know if he really is the solution for us

3. I'm liking Jonny Brodz in there and I think he's ready to take on the playoffs.

4. I'd rather have RW that makes Zibby and Krieder a force again

5. I don't really have a #5, but I hate even numbers on lists!

33 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

"Hello, Mr. Dorion please.....

Yes, it's Chris Drury again......Ok I'll hold!"

Actually this made Drury’s decision is even harder. He didnt really need a RW that badly. Now he has to find one and it will probably cost a piece of our future 

4 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Actually this made Drury’s decision is even harder. He didnt really need a RW that badly. Now he has to find one and it will probably cost a piece of our future 

Indeed. Injuries this season have forced him to make more moves than he would have liked. Even more assets gone, and they don't have a ton as it is.

14 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I really don't want Henrique anymore.

1. Phil hates him

2. I don't know if he really is the solution for us

3. I'm liking Jonny Brodz in there and I think he's ready to take on the playoffs.

4. I'd rather have RW that makes Zibby and Krieder a force again

5. I don't really have a #5, but I hate even numbers on lists!

Especially #3. Never been a big fan of Brodz as a permanent solution in that 3rd pairing, but you can't deny the chemistry that line has had during this 6 game swing. He's not perfect, but I feel he's enough to get us through the season. 

• TroCheckmark 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Just now, RangerDanger said:

Especially #3. Never been a big fan of Brodz as a permanent solution in that 3rd pairing, but you can't deny the chemistry that line has had during this 6 game swing. He's not perfect, but I feel he's enough to get us through the season. 

I’d argue that that chemistry is being made happen by Cuylle and Krappo’s work 

1 minute ago, Albatrosss said:

I’d argue that that chemistry is being made happen by Cuylle and Krappo’s work 

Won't argue that, it's been a pleasure watching them play. But I think Brodz has been servicable. Not spectacular or anything, but he's getting the job done.

Just now, RangerDanger said:

Won't argue that, it's been a pleasure watching them play. But I think Brodz has been servicable. Not spectacular or anything, but he's getting the job done.

He’s definitely not a detriment to that line. But i wonder what a real NHL center can do in that spot