• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#51) Rangers vs. Tampa Bay Lightning — Cap Is Back

Phil

51 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Just watched that injury. Absolutely awful but nothing except respect for the garden fans giving the guy a huge ovation as he comes off. 

Hate to see it

Laff looked like he was pretty upset too.  You never wanna see that shit, and I'm pretty sure that lean-back check wasn't dirty at all.  Just a hockey play that had a terrible result.  I give the kid credit for going over to him on the way off on the stretcher, and also for the Rangers for clearing the bench for a stick tap salute.

Get well, Sergy!

20 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Gotta love Cooper though.  The guy left the bench to see him in the runway.  ....dude's a class act 100%

I like Cooper, but he says some weird shit.

Last night he said his team looked tired and that everyone coming out of the break should start playing at the same time...Huh? The Rangers played already, TB was rested. Why were they tired? Then he said the Serg injury affected the team...I mean good on him for giving them an out, but it sounds like an excuse.

• TroCheckmark 1

45 minutes ago, Pete said:

I like Cooper, but he says some weird shit.

Last night he said his team looked tired and that everyone coming out of the break should start playing at the same time...Huh? The Rangers played already, TB was rested. Why were they tired? Then he said the Serg injury affected the team...I mean good on him for giving them an out, but it sounds like an excuse.

That core has been together for so long now, it's like their all "in the club" together.  He's gonna give them a pass on that one, fine.  I do think the Sergy injury deflated them a bit, but it looked like they did run outta gas about 10 minutes into the 2nd period.

They're starting to show a little age over there, I think.

• Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

That core has been together for so long now, it's like their all "in the club" together.  He's gonna give them a pass on that one, fine.  I do think the Sergy injury deflated them a bit, but it looked like they did run outta gas about 10 minutes into the 2nd period.

They're starting to show a little age over there, I think.

That core has some miles on it. For sure aren't the dynasty they were a few years ago.

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Big time Colorado fans tonight. Hopefully they get their shit straight on this trip and get a win in Carolina. Can set the Rangers up nicely going into Chicago on a bit of a roll to give themselves some good breathing room

in the division.

It would be awesome for this team to go on a 5+ game rip coming out of the break. Heave ho 3 in a row as it stands though; a Chicago win would ensure some confidence for a team that was floundering the past couple months. Hopefully the ship is righted and some key additions will prove to fortify the roster come TDL.

4 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

It would be awesome for this team to go on a 5+ game rip coming out of the break. Heave ho 3 in a row as it stands though; a Chicago win would ensure some confidence for a team that was floundering the past couple months. Hopefully the ship is righted and some key additions will prove to fortify the roster come TDL.

Still some work for sure. But I’m seeing glimpses of what made this team so good to start the season. They’re limiting high danger chances, more attention to detail defensively, they’ve been really good with their sticks in the defensive zone when it comes to breaking up zone entries. Last night in the 1st, Tampa came out flying. As it was said on the broadcast, Stamkos, Kucherov and Point were all seeing lots of ice time early and were all flying coming off the break. Any team would see and feel the pressure playing against guys like that when they’re rested and ready to go. So I wasn’t too surprised to see it start that way but honestly, we weathered the storm and got out of that period without breaking. And after that, even during that, we stayed within structure defensively and limited a lot of their chances. Defensively we’re starting to get back to what we were, which is good. Because that will limit the stress Quick and Igor feel playing behind them.

To me it goes back to the 3rd period against Colorado. It seems from there over the last 4 periods we’ve kind of gotten back to our game. And in turns, even though we may lack the actual foot speed that a team like Colorado may have, we have played extremely quick hockey and have been moving well both out of the zone and going into the zone.

Slowly but surely.

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Still some work for sure. But I’m seeing glimpses of what made this team so good to start the season. They’re limiting high danger chances, more attention to detail defensively, they’ve been really good with their sticks in the defensive zone when it comes to breaking up zone entries. Last night in the 1st, Tampa came out flying. As it was said on the broadcast, Stamkos, Kucherov and Point were all seeing lots of ice time early and were all flying coming off the break. Any team would see and feel the pressure playing against guys like that when they’re rested and ready to go. So I wasn’t too surprised to see it start that way but honestly, we weathered the storm and got out of that period without breaking. And after that, even during that, we stayed within structure defensively and limited a lot of their chances. Defensively we’re starting to get back to what we were, which is good. Because that will limit the stress Quick and Igor feel playing behind them.

To me it goes back to the 3rd period against Colorado. It seems from there over the last 4 periods we’ve kind of gotten back to our game. And in turns, even though we may lack the actual foot speed that a team like Colorado may have, we have played extremely quick hockey and have been moving well both out of the zone and going into the zone.

Slowly but surely.

The thing that stood out to me was the aggressive back checking seems to have magically re-appeared. It was there when we were on a tear and became almost absent during the dark period. Glad to see that. These forwards need to help out in that regard for the Rangers to be successful

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dem said:

The thing that stood out to me was the aggressive back checking seems to have magically re-appeared. It was there when we were on a tear and became almost absent during the dark period. Glad to see that. These forwards need to help out in that regard for the Rangers to be successful

We only seem to back-pressure against good teams that are playoff type teams.  I'm curious to see if we do that against Chicago on Friday night.  Definitely something to watch for, Dem.

When we do pressure teams, it seems to make a helluva difference, doesn't it?  Last night we held Tampa to very few dangerous chances.

Although the Howitzer Hedman hit the post with, helped put a Cocoa Puff in my BVD's!!!  LOL

Edited by Ozzy
  • LMFAO 1

24 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

We only seem to back-pressure against good teams that are playoff type teams.  I'm curious to see if we do that against Chicago on Friday night.  Definitely something to watch for, Dem.

When we do pressure teams, it seems to make a helluva difference, doesn't it?  Last night we held Tampa to very few dangerous chances.

Although the Howitzer Hedman hit the post with, helped put a Cocoa Puff in my BVD's!!!  LOL

The overall battle level sure seems to be different against playoff teams. your observation sure fits in w that. Yeah whole different team when they move together and support for sure.

• Bullseye 1

The news accounts all say Sergy was injured by a "reverse check" by LaF.  I didn't see LaF do anything, and I've watched it five times.  It just looked like Sergy tried to check him and got his leg caught in an ackward way between LaF's legs.

Sergachev with possibly the most brutally candid response I've seen to a player injury 😲

“Oh man, why me? Why now? After all the games missed, coming back and getting injured again, feels unfair, feels terrible,” Sergachev wrote on Instagram. “Trying to stay calm and positive, but it’s impossible. After doing everything right I get this.

“The universe is unpredictable I guess, and has its own plans, but fuck the universe man, I know I’ll come back stronger and I know I’ll play better than before, but it’s tough right now, and it’s gonna be tough tomorrow.

“We all fight our own battles and this is mine. I’ll win, always do. Pain meds are good tho, if I was in the forest by myself I’d be dead, crazy innit?! Wanted to write how I feel here, don’t know why, but just wanted to let people that care about me know! I appreciate all of your messages. Thanks to the medical staff.”

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/oh-man-why-me-lightnings-mikhail-sergachev-reacts-after-being-stretchered-off-ice

14 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

The news accounts all say Sergy was injured by a "reverse check" by LaF.  I didn't see LaF do anything, and I've watched it five times.  It just looked like Sergy tried to check him and got his leg caught in an ackward way between LaF's legs.

Laf heard him coming and set himself for the hit and then lifted into it.  Totally legit play.  The kind of play you expect out of a 28 year old vet not a kid.

• Like 1
  • LMFAO 1

31 minutes ago, Karan said:

Sergachev with possibly the most brutally candid response I've seen to a player injury 😲

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/oh-man-why-me-lightnings-mikhail-sergachev-reacts-after-being-stretchered-off-ice

You can't help feel for the guy.  He busted his balls to get back and in his first game back he gets this.

The world isn't fair, and this guy will win out and come back better for it.  Guys like him are pros because they can deal with shit like this and come back stronger for it.  I wish him the best in his comeback.

However I gotta hand it to the Garden faithful last night, giving Sergy a pretty nice ovation when he was carried off.  We really do have the best fans in the world.  Great show of class last night.  Made me proud!

4 hours ago, Br4d said:

Laf heard him coming and set himself for the hit and then lifted into it.  Totally legit play.  The kind of play you expect out of a 28 year old vet not a kid.

He survived the check and came away with the puck.  What more could you ask?  Also Sergachev broke his left leg not the one that got tied up in the collision.

• Phil unpinned this topic