• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#50) Rangers @ Colorado Avalanche — Remember Hockey? Pepperidge Farm Remembers...

Phil

I never really hated Georgiev the way everyone else did. I always thought he was a good goalie who just needed to know that he had the net, and he never did here.

But if you told me when we traded him that 2 years later he would be the better goalie vs Shesterkin, who wouldn't have said "That's crazy".

Yet here we are. 

I just think he really needed to get out of here and start consistently. When he did play more consistently here, he wasn't bad. I think playing on a loaded Avs team that has structure and talent galore doesn't hurt either. Some of the Rangers teams he was on here weren't the best. I think hat rubs people here the wrong way about him is that he was really sulky and pouty about it. I called him 'resting bitch face' all the time. Like, you could see after wins he would be half-assing his high fives with Igor, for example. You could see he was miserable, and his body language was terrible. It just wasn't a good look. If some teammates didn't really care for him, I can see why.

11 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I just think he really needed to get out of here and start consistently. When he did play more consistently here, he wasn't bad. I think playing on a loaded Avs team that has structure and talent galore doesn't hurt either. Some of the Rangers teams he was on here weren't the best. I think hat rubs people here the wrong way about him is that he was really sulky and pouty about it. I called him 'resting bitch face' all the time. Like, you could see after wins he would be half-assing his high fives with Igor, for example. You could see he was miserable, and his body language was terrible. It just wasn't a good look. If some teammates didn't really care for him, I can see why.

Totally. But those teammates should put themselves in his shoes. They want to play. Everybody wants to play. He didn't handle it the best way, but anybody in his position would have been upset about a starting job being handed right over to Shesty. He wasn't even allowed to battle it out. 

Quick probably can't handle the every other night load the playoffs require.

Getting Igor back to being himself is the key right now.  Keep the crease clear because one thing that other teams are definitely trying to do is interfere with him physically.  Get him back to having an unscreened view of the puck and he's likely to get back to being a strong goaltender.

Most of the bad goals he has allowed this season have been from inside 15 feet.  Bang-bang plays where the shooter is right there and Igor has nothing but reaction time to save the goal.

I was thinking about it last night, and I'm not so sure Igor is at 100%.  He doesn't seem as athletic as he did in prior seasons, and I'm not too sure that he might have some type of lingering effect from his injury earlier this season.

Something really looks to be "off" with him, and I suppose we'll really never know what's caused his mid season drop off, but I'd still entertain the thought that he hasn't exactly been 100% healthy.

That being said, something like that could seriously cause problems with a contending team making the playoffs.  Thank God for Quick's heroics this year.  I really can't even begin to think of what could've happened had we not had him in there battling away!  Just a great signing by Drury.

Not saying Quick should play the rest of the games. I'm suggesting coming off his best game of the season he deserves the next start and you go from there. The teams goal is to win games and Quick was 🔥 last night. I don't think you bench a guy after playing that game. Nobody played themselves into this situation more than Igor and Quick. Ones been below league average one has not. One was outstanding last night. Would be a mistake by laviotette/Benny not to take advantage of that. They play again Friday let Igor play against the JV team. It's not just coming from a few of us here. 

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I was thinking about it last night, and I'm not so sure Igor is at 100%.  He doesn't seem as athletic as he did in prior seasons, and I'm not too sure that he might have some type of lingering effect from his injury earlier this season.

Something really looks to be "off" with him, and I suppose we'll really never know what's caused his mid season drop off, but I'd still entertain the thought that he hasn't exactly been 100% healthy.

That being said, something like that could seriously cause problems with a contending team making the playoffs.  Thank God for Quick's heroics this year.  I really can't even begin to think of what could've happened had we not had him in there battling away!  Just a great signing by Drury.

Quick's performance this year has been season-saving. He's been that important.

Edited by Sharpshooter
  • Bullseye 2
  • TroCheckmark 1

• Phil unpinned this topic

That 3rd period was brilliant IMO. It was the first time I’ve seen us play a fast team and significantly slow them down. And it showed that you don’t need to be fleet of foot collectively as a team to play a quick game. Everything in that 3rd period was up ice, puck movement was quick, defense was on point. It was a masterclass and maybe one of the best periods I’ve seen this team play as a group in 3 years against a really good, really fast team. They need to play like that consistently because when they play that type of fast paced style, they are tough to play against. 

• Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

It's becoming painfully obvious that this team just doesn't score enough.   They seriously lack some finishing skill.

I disagree. The skill is there. It’s just that aside from Panarin, the high end guys struggle with consistency. 

• Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I disagree. The skill is there. It’s just that aside from Panarin, the high end guys struggle with consistency. 

A lot of guys just gripping the stick too tight. 

39 minutes ago, Pete said:

A lot of guys just gripping the stick too tight. 

Yup,just like in golf when I hit a slice ,I know I held the club  too tight ,you got to hold like you holding a bird in your hand

44 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

It's becoming painfully obvious that this team just doesn't score enough.   They seriously lack some finishing skill.

They are 22nd in 5v5 goals for. The focus is on 3C but the reality is we don't have a 1C

• Bullseye 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

But if you told me when we traded him that 2 years later he would be the better goalie vs Shesterkin, who wouldn't have said "That's crazy".

Well it is crazy today as well. And not correct.

Shesterkin at his absolute worst is still better than Georgiev who's having an average season by his standards. (Both at .899 save%, Igor 2.86 GAA vs Georgiev's 2.88).

Georgiev is as average as it gets, but he acted like he was the best goalie in the league. Shesterkin has proven before that he CAN be the best goalie in the league, I'm not gonna change my entire view of him based on a ~25 games slump.

Shesterkin's save % during his first 190 NHL games is .920. That will have him around top 5 on the NHL Goalies ‑ All-Time Save Percentage Leaders list. The minimum requirement here is 200 games, so he's 10 short of being on the list. In the playoffs he's at .929 in 28 games.

I'm with @Ozzy here. If we're to even get close to winning a cup this year it's with Igor in net. I'm fine with rolling Quick at the moment, but at some point we need to get Shesterkin going.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

11 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

They are 22nd in 5v5 goals for. The focus is on 3C but the reality is we don't have a 1C

I just wish the guy would shoot it.  He's psychotically unselfish!

Just now, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Shesterkin at his absolute worst is still better than Georgiev who's having an average season by his standards. (Both at .899 save%, Igor 2.86 GAA vs Georgiev's 2.88).

Georgiev is as average as it gets, but he acted like he was the best goalie in the league. Shesterkin has proven before that he CAN be the best goalie in the league, I'm not gonna change my entire view of him based on a ~25 games slump.

Shesterkin's save % during his first 190 NHL games is .920. That will have him around top 5 on the NHL Goalies ‑ All-Time Save Percentage Leaders list. The minimum requirement here is 200 games, so he's 10 short of being on the list. In the playoffs he's at .929 in 28 games.

I'm with @Ozzy here. If we're to even get close to winning a cup this year it's with Igor in net. I'm fine with rolling Quick at the moment, but at some point we need to get Shesterkin going.

The only way we see Quick is in case of any unforeseen injury to Igor.  Good to know we have a solid backup...but Igor's our man that gets us through it.

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Finishing skill is all about consistency.  This team has "star" players that will go 10 games without burying a gimme.

You'd think that a few of the better players would be watching Panarin's recent heroics and deciding to make that extra effort to get a shot.

2 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Finishing skill is all about consistency.  This team has "star" players that will go 10 games without burying a gimme.

You'd think that a few of the better players would be watching Panarin's recent heroics and deciding to make that extra effort to get a shot.

While that’s all fine and good, no one on this team has the ability to do what Panarin did on his goal last night. And that’s not an indictment of any of the other star players we have. Panarin has a skill set that is Top-10 or 15 in the world. His work on his edges and the way he’s able to fling the puck on net with such force and precision isn’t something that many players in this league possess.

3 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

While that’s all fine and good, no one on this team has the ability to do what Panarin did on his goal last night. And that’s not an indictment of any of the other star players we have. Panarin has a skill set that is Top-10 or 15 in the world. His work on his edges and the way he’s able to fling the puck on net with such force and precision isn’t something that many players in this league possess.

Maybe the Rangers should try Miller up front finally.  He's got the skill set to create shots and he's not afraid to take a shot.

37 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

My point was that 2 years after we traded him, which is where we are today, Geogiev is the better goalie. I don't even know why we are talking GAA, that's a team stats. SV% is also becoming a dated stat as it's basis is shots and not all shots are equal. That's why we're looking at high vs mid vs low danger as well.

The stat that's getting the most traction right now is GSAA and Geo is 3.9 while Shesty is at .7. That's massive.

Simply put, today, right now, this season, Geo is the better goalie. Will that be true next season? Maybe not. But it is today.

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

I never really hated Georgiev the way everyone else did. I always thought he was a good goalie who just needed to know that he had the net, and he never did here.

Yet here we are. 

Except he's not. He's played more games and their sv% and Gaa are pretty similar. This is with Shesterkin playing his worst hockey of his career.  spacer.png