• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Elias Lindholm at Top of Rangers Wishlist; Siiiike! Dealt to Vancouver for the Moon and the Stars

If Zibanejad gets going, an acquisition of Lindholm gives the Rangers the deepest group of centers in the league IMO.

A lot rides on Mika. We all know he will get going. But when he does, it can’t just be a blip of scorching hot hockey followed by another trip into the abyss. He needs to level out a bit.

my concerns with acquiring Lindholm are that we would pay top value for a guy who isnt guaranteed to resign (unless there's some sort of sign and trade deal worked out), and who might not fill a role we totally need.

He's a very good player but do we want to break up Tro and Bread right now? do we ever take Zib and Kreider off of eachothers line? how much PP time is Lindholm getting? We'd have insane depth sure, but then we're giving up a lot for a guy who might end up on the third line with limited PP2 minutes and is it worth giving up a huge haul to get a guy who fills that void? 

2 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

my concerns with acquiring Lindholm are that we would pay top value for a guy who isnt guaranteed to resign (unless there's some sort of sign and trade deal worked out), and who might not fill a role we totally need.

He's a very good player but do we want to break up Tro and Bread right now? do we ever take Zib and Kreider off of eachothers line? how much PP time is Lindholm getting? We'd have insane depth sure, but then we're giving up a lot for a guy who might end up on the third line with limited PP2 minutes and is it worth giving up a huge haul to get a guy who fills that void? 

You're basically echoing my post from a few days ago. There are concerns to be sure.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Boss I get that you’re down on them right now cause they’ve played meh hockey for 7 weeks and poor hockey for a month.

But I gotta say that sounds like recency bias.

But if you wanna play that game, look at the first 2 months of the season.

Not just the W-L record but also the excellent metrics and underlying stats.

We KNOW what they can do. Cause we’ve SEEN them do it.

They’ve gotten away from that.

They got banged up.

Some guys aren’t playing well.

They had guys playing up the lineup, guys probably playing too much, and some guys in the lineup who realistically maybe shouldn’t have been.

And they CLEARLY were overcompensating for that and pressing.

Moreover, they’ve had some anomalies too. They got goalied in a number of games. They had some games where they had tons of shots and chances and didn’t win.

And their elite, all-world goalie hasn’t been making big saves he typically does.

Yet here they sit, 30-16-3, in first place. 

The 5v5 metrics were never good.  This team is winning right now like those metrics would have suggested we should at the beginning of the season.  Actually we're doing a bit worse which suggests that our luck is bad in addition to our play being uninspired.  Our luck was very good at the start and it appears to have balanced out some now.

9 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The 5v5 metrics were never good.  This team is winning right now like those metrics would have suggested we should at the beginning of the season.  Actually we're doing a bit worse which suggests that our luck is bad in addition to our play being uninspired.  Our luck was very good at the start and it appears to have balanced out some now.

That’s actually not true. 

Through the first 1/3 if the season the 5v5 metrics were good.

Possession numbers were amongst the best in the league. 

Shot share was high.

exGF was high.

exGA was top-10 in league.

Rush defense was top-10 in league.

They had gotten lucky on some things… Namely Quick and Gus playing so well.

Top line wasn’t going in that they weren’t cashing chances.

But they underlying stats were there.

Thats why Laviolette put Kakko back with them when he got healthy.

The talent is there.

You can talk about physicality and playing with jam all you want.

But it’s a speed and skill game now with dynamic athletes in goal.

They have that.

Its not 1991 anymore. 

Example- Derian Hatcher is one of my all-time favorite players. Won a cup. As a captain. Played big minutes in all situations vs and with top players.

If he played today, he’d be lucky to see 18 minutes a night. 

Example- Charlie Huddy has 5 Cup rings.

With the skill set he had, he’d be a middle of the road player at best. 

At mid teens in most of the underlying 5v5 stats, Vancouver does not rank much higher than the Rangers, but they also haven't made the playoffs in 4 seasons so I can't blame them for going with it. I was stoked for the Rangers getting back into it two seasons ago.

• RichieNextel305 changed the title to Elias Lindholm at Top of Rangers Wishlist; Siiiike! Dealt to Vancouver for the Moon and the Stars