• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan Johansen

23 minutes ago, lefty9 said:

Johanson is our best option again 

That’s very debatable considering Henrique.

Henrique has 15 goals and 33 points in 49 games for a terrible Anaheim team, getting 57 % of his zone starts in the D-Zone 

Hes also playing plus hockey there.

Theyre 29th in Goals for, and 27th in goals against.

Hes playing very good hockey this year.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

36 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

That’s very debatable considering Henrique.

Henrique has 15 goals and 33 points in 49 games for a terrible Anaheim team, getting 57 % of his zone starts in the D-Zone 

Hes also playing plus hockey there.

Theyre 29th in Goals for, and 27th in goals against.

Hes playing very good hockey this year.

Henrique is having a better year than Johansen, that is for certain, but Henrique is going to cost you a 1st and a good prospect. As we’ve also seen, deadline acquisitions are also a gamble and you never know how well they can fit in or how quickly without a lot of time to do it. Johansen is more of a known quantity with Laviolette. The way I see it is both are high reward acquisitions, but one is low cost and the other high.

14 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Henrique is having a better year than Johansen, that is for certain, but Henrique is going to cost you a 1st and a good prospect. As we’ve also seen, deadline acquisitions are also a gamble and you never know how well they can fit in or how quickly without a lot of time to do it. Johansen is more of a known quantity with Laviolette. The way I see it is both are high reward acquisitions, but one is low cost and the other high.

5 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Depends on the cost but I don’t think Colorado is giving him away.  Rather have Henrique if it costs around the same to accquire one of them.  

Yes. Henrique  costs you more than RJ would, in all likelihood. As he should. He’s having a way better season and playing better hockey than RJ.

I think though that we all need to reevaluate a bit on certain aspects of “cost to acquire” at this point. For a few reasons:

Number 1- That 1st was almost certainly getting dealt this year no matter what.

Number 2- They’re in win now mode and should be going for it. 
Number 3- Getting a C is no longer a move for depth. It’s a move to fill a hole. 

They basically have to go get the best player they can for that spot.

• Bullseye 1

Henrique is a much safer acquisition too.

Again- I love the idea of acquiring both Henrique and Vatrano from Anaheim.

Just don’t know what the package is.

Certainly a 1st.

Certainly a nicer prospect.

And then probably a D and a F of lesser prospect type status. 

6 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Henrique is a much safer acquisition too.

Again- I love the idea of acquiring both Henrique and Vatrano from Anaheim.

Just don’t know what the package is.

Certainly a 1st.

Certainly a nicer prospect.

And then probably a D and a F of lesser prospect type status. 

I like it.

1st, Kakko and Robertson

I think Vatrano stinks. He scored half of his goals in the first month.

I think they need to go under the radar with a hockey trade. With the rental market already skyrocketing, and a lot of the center options off the table, I just don't see a world where Johansen gets moved either. 

Vatrano is a very streaky scorer.  He’s already almost reached his career high in goals for a season.  
If they can get Henrique for a #1 and Robertson maybe they can get Tarasenko and retention for  Jones, Sykora & Brodzinski?

Kreider-Zibanejad-Tarasenko

Panarin-Trochek-Lafraniere

Cuylle-Henrique-Kakko

Vesey-Goodrow-Pitlick

Wheeler 13th Forward.  

Use Mackey as the 7th D.  

Edited by RJWantsTheCup

29 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think Vatrano stinks. He scored half of his goals in the first month.

I think they need to go under the radar with a hockey trade. With the rental market already skyrocketing, and a lot of the center options off the table, I just don't see a world where Johansen gets moved either. 

The thing with Vatrano is he’s a shooter. Always has been and always will be. He isn’t a line-driver but of all the fill-ins we have tried on that Zibanejad line, he has arguably been the best fit for them. And he showed he can score in the playoffs and produce here. I think his numbers this year are inflated, but I do think he’s a good bet to find a home again on that line if he we’re re-acquired.

I hate going back to the well on players. Never was a big fan of it. But I really wouldn’t hate Vatrano or Tarasenko coming back and playing on that line. I really was impressed watching Tarasenko last year here. He may not be the explosive superstar player he once was, but he can score still, he shoots and he played a responsible game. I wouldn’t hate a trip to yesteryear for either because they both are shooters and they both are responsible.

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I’ll be hoping daily that another team swoops in and takes Henrique so I don’t have to watch this franchise make a clear desperation move.

For this window we're nearing desperation time.  Another 10 games or so and we'll know for sure.

Just now, Br4d said:

For this window we're nearing desperation time.  Another 10 games or so and we'll know for sure.

Strong teams don’t make trades out of desperation. They make trades to strengthen an already strong team that would be highly competive whether they made a move or not. That’s not where the Rangers are:

• Keeps it 100 1

8 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I’ll be hoping daily that another team swoops in and takes Henrique so I don’t have to watch this franchise make a clear desperation move.

Henrique wouldn’t represent a desperation move.

Yes, it’s a thin market at C. But they still need a player there.

And Henrique checks a lot of the boxes they need checked and he’s playing good hockey. 

• Keeps it 100 1

26 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

The thing with Vatrano is he’s a shooter. Always has been and always will be. He isn’t a line-driver but of all the fill-ins we have tried on that Zibanejad line, he has arguably been the best fit for them. And he showed he can score in the playoffs and produce here. I think his numbers this year are inflated, but I do think he’s a good bet to find a home again on that line if he we’re re-acquired.

I hate going back to the well on players. Never was a big fan of it. But I really wouldn’t hate Vatrano or Tarasenko coming back and playing on that line. I really was impressed watching Tarasenko last year here. He may not be the explosive superstar player he once was, but he can score still, he shoots and he played a responsible game. I wouldn’t hate a trip to yesteryear for either because they both are shooters and they both are responsible.

I understand the appeal, but he hasn't played here in 2 years... Whatever magic they had (And for all his success, statistically he was about a 40-point pace, which is not ideal on your first line to begin with) in my opinion is a long shot to be recreated. 

And frankly none of it is going to matter unless Zib increases his shot attempts. He's on pace to shoot half as much as he did last season. That's unacceptable and it won't matter one bit who the right wing is if that trend continues. 

7 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Henrique wouldn’t represent a desperation move.

Yes, it’s a thin market at C. But they still need a player there.

And Henrique checks a lot of the boxes they need checked and he’s playing good hockey. 

The player isn't what's desperate, the anticipated cost is what makes it desperate.

If you're out in freezing weather, buying a hoodie doesn't make you desperate. Buying a $60 hoodie for $500 makes you desperate. 

• Bullseye 1

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

The player isn't what's desperate, the anticipated cost is what makes it desperate.

If you're out in freezing weather, buying a hoodie doesn't make you desperate. Buying a $60 hoodie for $500 makes you desperate. 

Especially when you can find a $30 hoodie (Wennberg?) for $30 and it will still keep you warm. It just isn’t flashy or have a Nike logo on it.

30 minutes ago, Pete said:

Exactly this. Given the state of the market, it seems like any trade for a center is going to cost an arm and a leg. If you're the Rangers and are going to be forced to pay, you might as well spend extra to get players with years. Drury and his pro scouts need to do their homework to make the best decision here — the best fit is unlikely to be one of the top five guys on Seravalli or whoever's trade board.

• Keeps it 100 2

1 hour ago, Pete said:

31 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Especially when you can find a $30 hoodie (Wennberg?) for $30 and it will still keep you warm. It just isn’t flashy or have a Nike logo on it.

30 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Exactly this. Given the state of the market, it seems like any trade for a center is going to cost an arm and a leg. If you're the Rangers and are going to be forced to pay, you might as well spend extra to get players with years. Drury and his pro scouts need to do their homework to make the best decision here — the best fit is unlikely to be one of the top five guys on Seravalli or whoever's trade board.

I totally getbthat

But I have faith in Drury and they haven’t done that yet

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

G Man's idea of Kevin Hayes might not be such a bad idea.

Hayes doesn’t check enough boxes for me and his contact sucks. I would consider him a desperation move if they can’t get someone better.  

Edited by RJWantsTheCup
  • TroCheckmark 1