• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan Johansen

The Lowdown

He's a center signed at $4M through next season. Colorado took him for free at half-retained from Nashville this summer, but he hasn't been a great fit for them. 11 goals, 18 points in 49 games on 14 minutes a game. If Colorado wants cap flexibility to make a move at the deadline, his cap number sticks out like a sore thumb.

Expected Cost

Future considerations. Possibly even a pick also coming back from Colorado to get them out of the contract for next season.

Why?

- He's an NHL quality center.

- Despite a down year, he's still a viable 3C, especially for the Rangers.

- The cost to acquire is going to be very low. An essentially free acquisition to solve the problem, when the assets to trade are low (only 1 2nd and 1 3rd in the next 3 drafts combined!). Would this team really rather spend a 1st or their last 2nd in the next 3 years in a deal for Adam Henrique or Sean Monahan?

- Great history with Laviolette in Nashville. We should have full confidence he could come here and jive with what Laviolette wants.

- He has a history of producing well in the playoffs. His playoff pt/gm is higher than his regular season pt/gm. 42 points, +14 in 51 playoff games under Laviolette. Fun Fact: he was injured in G4 of the 2017 WCF and missed the SCF that year. They lost in 6 to the Penguins. Laviolette might have another Cup win if he didn't lose his 1C.

- He is still elite in the faceoff circle. 54% this year. 53% on career.

Why Not?

- He might not move the needle enough, even though the cost to acquire would be nothing. But is there any rental, aside from maybe Elias Lindholm, who moves the needle that much?

- It introduces a cap situation for next year, but it's solvable. If he doesn't work out, his buyout cap hit is 1.3M for 2 years. If he does, you have him for another year at a reasonable cap number, and probably have to buy out or pay to dump Goodrow instead if Chytil does in fact plan on coming back.

Next year’s cap situation is fine, it’s the year after I’m worried about.

i think this is as fine a rental for the center ice spot as anyone else but it does mean we won’t be able to get a rw, it also means we have the same problem in two years since we’re not taking this guy long term 

maybe all that’s fine, I think the idea is fine 

I used to like this guy, but I think it's too risky. The Rangers need a sure thing down the middle, they can't afford to roll the dice on a guy like this.

I see the potential there where it could work out, but I also see him falling completely flat on his face.

I'm not convinced it's worth the crap shoot. They need a surefire 3C to solidify that line, or a surefire 2C who drops Tro down the lineup. 

I also don't see Colorado making this move without acquiring a second line center of their own. That would make him expendable, right now they're trying to replace him so I don't see why they would move him without a backfill. 

That said, if it happened, I wouldn't hate it depending on the cost to acquire. 

9 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Next year’s cap situation is fine, it’s the year after I’m worried about.

i think this is as fine a rental for the center ice spot as anyone else but it does mean we won’t be able to get a rw, it also means we have the same problem in two years since we’re not taking this guy long term 

maybe all that’s fine, I think the idea is fine 

I don't think they will chase a winger of note personally. One of Lafreniere/Wheeler/Kakko would need to come out of the top 9. Wheeler is the obvious choice, but I don't think he fits the 4th line and I don't think they are going to cut bait with him either.

If they do try to improve right wing, they'd still have options. They'd have about $1.2M in space, which translates to $2.4M if they get half-retention. It's a sliding scale of space if they negotiate some small retention with Colorado on Johansen. For example, negotiating even just $300k retention on Johansen gives them the wiggle room for a half-retained Duclair, but that's kind of the anti-thesis of settling for Johansen to preserve assets.

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

No. If you want to go this route, just get Jack Roslovic instead.

Like I said, he would be my preference. He's a guy that will drag his line mates into the fight. 

• Keeps it 100 1

4 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

What do you think he costs?

Next to nothing. CBJ are in shambles and he's having a garbage year. I'd offer like a 4th-round pick and some random prospect they think they can do something with (like Robertson).

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

I used to like this guy, but I think it's too risky. The Rangers need a sure thing down the middle, they can't afford to roll the dice on a guy like this.

I see the potential there where it could work out, but I also see him falling completely flat on his face.

I'm not convinced it's worth the crap shoot. They need a surefire 3C to solidify that line, or a surefire 2C who drops Tro down the lineup. 

I also don't see Colorado making this move without acquiring a second line center of their own. That would make him expendable, right now they're trying to replace him so I don't see why they would move him without a backfill. 

That said, if it happened, I wouldn't hate it depending on the cost to acquire. 

How many of those are there on the market? It's really just Lindholm.

I guess I just view the other options as similarly risky to Johansen. Henrique/Monahan, for example, have half their production on the PP. It's meaningless because they won't get that here.

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Like I said, he would be my preference. He's a guy that will drag his line mates into the fight. 

And plays C and RW interchangeably. You can move him around in the lineup as needed.

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

I guess I just view the other options as similarly risky to Johansen. Henrique/Monahan, for example, have half their production on the PP. It's meaningless because they won't get that here.

I don't disagree with you, I think they need to go with an under the radar name like Roslovic. 

Like I said, wouldn't be opposed to this guy, but there's just as much risk as there is upside imo. 

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Next to nothing. CBJ are in shambles and he's having a garbage year. I'd offer like a 4th-round pick and some random prospect they think they can do something with (like Robertson).

If CBJ only takes a 4th for him, I'm down with that too. I have some reservation about him defensively though.

24 minutes ago, Phil said:

And plays C and RW interchangeably. You can move him around in the lineup as needed.

He’s played very little C this season, but yes, he can absolutely play there and he’d be a nice upgrade in the bottom half of the forward group. 

27 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yes.

Very thin market for Centers right now. And I don’t think that changes. 

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

If CBJ only takes a 4th for him, I'm down with that too. I have some reservation about him defensively though.

They don't need him for defense, at all. To be honest, I see him more at RW than at center. I think he probably goes right to Kreider-Zibanejad to try and be a shot in the arm for them.

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

They don't need him for defense, at all. To be honest, I see him more at RW than at center. I think he probably goes right to Kreider-Zibanejad to try and be a shot in the arm for them.

If they do that what’s your plan for center?

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

If they do that what’s your plan for center?

Would be a separate deal. I'm not pining for Roslovic, to be clear. I'm saying if they got him, I think they see him as RW solution to the shitty Mika-Kreider duo than as a Chytil replacement. And, at his price point, it would really limit their options at center unless CBJ are retaining (which it would be smart to pay for since he's UFA).

If this goes through, you're probably looking at guys like Travis Boyd, Nic Dowd, Sam Carrick, etc.

Just now, Br4d said:

Probably the big question is how does he fit between Cuylle and Kakko?

That's what the 3C the Rangers acquire has to do well.

He probably doesn't. He's quick, but not very aggressive or defensively sound. If you're aiming for a Cuylle-Kakko pairing, you probably want Adam Henrique (VOMIT). The guy you really want is Boone Jenner, but I'm not sure he's available.

17 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Probably the big question is how does he fit between Cuylle and Kakko?

That's what the 3C the Rangers acquire has to do well.

I think he'd fit great with those two. He's a big body and strong, with some skill. That's potential for a very strong possession line. Alternatively, I might also be curious to see him get some run with Panarin-Lafreniere to see how it looks, and Trocheck with Cuylle-Kakko.

I'm big on getting guys who have previously done well under a specific coach. Gus is a prime example. I just think there's something left with Johansen. He's only 31. There's more to get there with Lavi.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Believe 1