• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Alexis Lafreniere's Finishing Touch Has Evaporated in Growing Rangers Problem

Phil

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Correct. But he's not close to becoming elite, based on the word's definition.

He's not approaching, nor will he ever reach, the highest level of the sport. He's becoming a very good player and that's good enough.

that's certainly your opinion.  I feel that he will at some point.  I really like what i see from him.  

nobody expected Zibby to become an elite center, but for a little while he was.

• 4 weeks later...

Kid has looked good this season; at least better than any season prior. HOWEVER, at seasons end he will have close to 300 NHL games under his belt and I'll generously give him an assumed 20 goals and 30 assists (and currently a -8).

Compared to ..Mr. Quinton Byfield who will have about 180 NHL games under his belt and will probably end somewhere near 26 goals and 36 assists (and also sits at a +18 currently).

Not in different stratospheres but watching this draft age is making my stomach turn.

• ALEXIS! 1

It’s a slow burn here. But the improvement this year is noticeable. More jump, better skating, more confidence, especially with the puck. Want to say he’s a recipient of playing on a line with Panarin? Sure, go ahead. I mean, I don’t care and I don’t think anyone else should so long as it leads to productivity. The finishing aspect needs to improve, but I think that will come. He’s been robbed more times than I can count too. All in all, it’s been a step forward this year. Hopefully eventually he can find a way to finish more regularly, because then his stats will look all the more better. He’s still young and there is still time. This year gives me confidence moving forward. Sure, he won’t ever be a McDavid. But I think he’s gonna be just fine.

• Keeps it 100 1

While he doesn't have a point total that jumps out at you, he's been excellent this year and this is the first time I really feel good about him. Some players take time. Kings fans may have had the same concerns about Byfield, but look what he's done this year. He's basically having a Lafreniere type of season where you can finally start feeling good about him again. He might never be a great finisher, but if he can regularly be a 30 goal guy who can play physically and dish the puck, you are very satisfied with that. Not every number one pick or top five pick is going to be a Hall of Famer or generational type of talent. If you wind up with that, you are extremely fortunate.

39 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

While he doesn't have a point total that jumps out at you, he's been excellent this year and this is the first time I really feel good about him. Some players take time. Kings fans may have had the same concerns about Byfield, but look what he's done this year. He's basically having a Lafreniere type of season where you can finally start feeling good about him again. He might never be a great finisher, but if he can regularly be a 30 goal guy who can play physically and dish the puck, you are very satisfied with that. Not every number one pick or top five pick is going to be a Hall of Famer or generational type of talent. If you wind up with that, you are extremely fortunate.

It's pretty hard to hit 30 goals without being a great finisher, even for a volume shooter which Laf is not (458 shots in his career, Matthews had 300+ last season).
He's probably not going to be that volume shooter, so he has to learn to finish his chances. He's missed a ton of open nets this season. All he has to do is clean that up.

• Applause 2

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's pretty hard to hit 30 goals without being a great finisher, even for a volume shooter which Laf is not (458 shots in his career, Matthews had 300+ last season).
He's probably not going to be that volume shooter, so he has to learn to finish his chances. He's missed a ton of open nets this season. All he has to do is clean that up.

It’ll come. 
Not every good goal scorer is a “natural” finisher.

Its an ability that can be developed. 

• Keeps it 100 1

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

Not wrong, although I still think it can happen with him, as frustrating as it may be regarding missed chances. It might be more of a low 30's than high 30's or more, but it'll come, I believe.

22 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Not wrong, although I still think it can happen with him, as frustrating as it may be regarding missed chances. It might be more of a low 30's than high 30's or more, but it'll come, I believe.

I think it will too, I was responding to the part about him not being a good finisher. He needs to be a good finisher to get there, because he's not going to get there on shot volume. 

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Pretty much. Wasn't he always advertised as such well before his draft year?

Yes.

Always touted as more of a playmaker.

Things change.

Not done developing though.

His game is still very much in growth and evolving.

Edited by RangersIn7

4 hours ago, Br4d said:

Laf is a playmaker not a shooter.  He mostly scores on other people's leavings.

our leading goalscorer this year is potentially the best playmaker in the nhl or at least in the conversation. 

• Bullseye 1
  • BREAD! 1
  • Applause 1

13 minutes ago, Scott said:

Laf getting called out and recognized for the improvements in his game this season. Kakko just getting called out.

“Luh-fren-ē-ay”

Kind of hard to take an opinion seriously about a player who has been in the league for 4 years and that’s how this schmo pronounces his name

18 minutes ago, Scott said:

Laf getting called out and recognized for the improvements in his game this season. Kakko just getting called out.

The Whit dog!! 

He isn't wrong! Laf could turn into JT Miller. It is possible.

Kakko had a sweet shift last night where he dummyed some defenders and then made a sick pass while falling down but unfortunately it wasn't converted. Still have hope he is more than he is now eventually.