• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Will Cuylle Appreciation Thread

Phil

What a revelation this kid is. On pace for 14 goals and 23 points as a rookie playing primarily a bottom-six/third-line role with no special teams time.

All battle all the time. Hits to hurt. Fights when needed. What's not to love here?

• Bullseye 2
  • Cheers 1
  • TroCheckmark 1
  • Applause 1

He also had like 2-3 goals pulled back. 

He went through a lull in December, which is expected, but he's been great. Like Lavvy says, he never does anything wrong. Consistency will come with time.

Edited by Pete
  • Keeps it 100 1

Yeah, I think it was Mercogliano's pod recently, but he had some remark about how the coaching staff never has anything bad to say to Cuylle, ever. Even when he's not scoring or not doing much, he's not doing anything wrong.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

What a revelation this kid is. On pace for 14 goals and 23 points as a rookie playing primarily a bottom-six/third-line role with no special teams time.

All battle all the time. Hits to hurt. Fights when needed. What's not to love here?

Quality bottom 6 out of the gate. I think the potential is there to be a 20-25 goal/40-50 point hard nosed complimentary top 6 wing within 2-3 years. Too bad that level of impact wasn’t already present because it’s what they need now. Looking forward to seeing this kid develop though for sure. Keeper.

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

Quality bottom 6 out of the gate. I think the potential is there to be a 20-25 goal/40-50 point hard nosed complimentary top 6 wing within 2-3 years. Too bad that level of impact wasn’t already present because it’s what they need now. Looking forward to seeing this kid develop though for sure. Keeper.

Same. I forget if it was him who said it or someone else, but when he was drafted, the "profile" was Tom Wilson. I completely see it.

• Like 1

Have loved this kid since game 1. If Othman can be as much of a pest as they say he might be as well then this team is suddenly becoming a lot tougher to play against in the next 2-3 years.

I know Sykora isnt lighting it up in the AHL but hes rumored to be an insane forechecker/pest as well.

• Cheers 1
  • TroCheckmark 1
  • Believe 1

He’s been productive, if not flashy or even particularly noticeable. Thats great stuff for a rookie. Sky’s the limit. Best thing to be at his stage is putting up points while nobody notices anything wrong 

14 minutes ago, siddious said:

Have loved this kid since game 1. If Othman can be as much of a pest as they say he might be as well then this team is suddenly becoming a lot tougher to play against in the next 2-3 years.

I know Sykora isnt lighting it up in the AHL but hes rumored to be an insane forechecker/pest as well.

Cullye is a murder hornet, Othmann a yellow jacket, and Sykora a mosquito, if we're talking size and physical traits.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Cullye is a murder hornet, Othmann a yellow jacket, and Sykora a mosquito, if we're talking size and physical traits.

Yes I agree.

All pests though. Snarl which this current and recent teams have all missed.

I like what Drury is doing in the later rounds these last 2 or so drafts.

• Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Cuylle has a decent shot at being a top 6 guy.  He adds a physical presence to a line that cannot be denied and he's pretty good in front of the net.

On this roster? A good chance. I think there's a reason Laviolette has flirted with the idea of Kreider-Zib-Cuylle. Basically the same role as the old Legion of Zoom line (Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik). First man in, always, zero fear of going to the front of the net, forecheck-forecheck-forecheck.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, siddious said:

Yes I agree.

All pests though. Snarl which this current and recent teams have all missed.

I like what Drury is doing in the later rounds these last 2 or so drafts.

Mosquitos can be pesty too!  Try making a birdie putt when one of those little bastards flies in your face!  😃

• Like 1
  • LMFAO 1

21 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Cuylle has a decent shot at being a top 6 guy.  He adds a physical presence to a line that cannot be denied and he's pretty good in front of the net.

Kreider replacement. Send Kreids away for the 3rd line center. Team progress. (Off season of course but steps in the right direction regardless). Suddenly we have

Bread-Tro-Laf

Othmann-Zib-Cuylle

Vesey-Henrique-Kakko

Goodrow-Brodzinski-Pitlick

^^Change is good.

5 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Kreider replacement. Send Kreids away for the 3rd line center. Team progress. (Off season of course but steps in the right direction regardless). Suddenly we have

Bread-Tro-Laf

Othmann-Zib-Cuylle

Vesey-Henrique-Kakko

Goodrow-Brodzinski-Pitlick

^^Change is good.

I get that I'm a Kreider stan, but I'm not trading my team's all-time leading playoff goal-scorer for a third-line rental. Especially not Adam fucking Henrique.

• LMFAO 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

I get that I'm a Kreider stan, but I'm not trading my team's all-time leading playoff goal-scorer for a third-line rental. Especially not Adam fucking Henrique.

Who would you part with from this core to take the next step should they fail this year? (Fingers crossed of course)

35 minutes ago, Phil said:

On this roster? A good chance. I think there's a reason Laviolette has flirted with the idea of Kreider-Zib-Cuylle. Basically the same role as the old Legion of Zoom line (Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik). First man in, always, zero fear of going to the front of the net, forecheck-forecheck-forecheck.

He reminds me of a faster, pre-Rangers, Ryan Clowe 

• Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Who would you part with from this core to take the next step should they fail this year? (Fingers crossed of course)

Selfishly, not Kreider. Realistically, I'm not sure they can part with anyone from the core, really. Kreider, Zib, Fox are all bolted to the foundation. It would probably be more along the lines of pulling the plug on Kakko, moving on from Goodrow (maybe buyout), or just not extending Ryan Lindgren (which seems crazy to me).

5 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I'm not at all saying he's untouchable.. But he is a hell of a lot more valuable than Adam Fucking Henrique ™️. If you remove a pillar, you need someone or a combination to replace that foundational support in the aggregate.  

The name Adam Fucking Henrique is copyrighted and any use, retransmissions, pictures, descriptions, or accounts of this assholes name without the express written permission of Phil are prohibited.

• Applause 1

Just now, Phil said:

Selfishly, not Kreider. Realistically, I'm not sure they can part with anyone from the core, really. Kreider, Zib, Fox are all bolted to the foundation. It would probably be more along the lines of pulling the plug on Kakko, moving on from Goodrow (maybe buyout), or just not extending Ryan Lindgren (which seems crazy to me).

Any move that subtracts from the roster will come in the summer. That is certain.

The bolded names likely aren't going anywhere. They're just not. Everyone needs to stop suggesting it until it happens. Kakko can be an established 3rd line cost controlled checking winger. He isn't gonna get paid. And he's young. He's the kind of guy you look for, why are we trading him? He also has no value, so what are you getting? Another team's trash.

If the team flames out, Kreider should be #1 to go.

1. Failed here the longest
  2. Easy contract to trade
  3. Will get you the most back

Can't see how this can be argued. If you want to change the culture, that's where you start.

• Keeps it 100 2