• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Let's Talk About the Real Issue: Goaltending

Pete

12 hours ago, Keirik said:

Nah, doesn't sound like im saying that at all, but the bold sure sounds like you're saying he isn't covering up the real problems of the team. They shouldn't need to have a goalie stand on his head every night to win. Not on this roster. There is no doubt that Shesty should be better. That doesn't mean he's the biggest problem of this team. How many coaches is it now? So far, this team absolutely crumbles when the going gets tough and it has been a problem for years now. They don't handle any adversity at all. The core disappears. 

They don't have any leaders.  Nobody stands up and says the game goes through me now.

That's what Igor used to do and apparently can't do this season.  He was covering up a multitude of problems with the core and the off-season additions this year were all older guys who are no longer capable of being that guy if they ever were.

BTW, we now can understand all the "A"'s.  The Rangers were trying to artificially create leadership where none exists.

Edited by Br4d

36 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Of course it would make a difference. It's a huge reason why they brought in a coach with a more defined system for this core to have. Igor covered up everything wrong with them and now that he's playing average, we see what the real problems are. it's still a team with crappy 5 v 5 performance, no defensive structure, all about the pp, and very little fight back when the times get tough. 

You're taking goals in a bubble and not factoring anything else as if the only people on the ice are Igor and the shooter. They may work for breakaways but even then, It's the same defensive breakdown to lead to leaving Igor out to dry while he's struggling. Does he need to be better? Yup. Is he the biggest problem? Nope. But you're entitled to your opinion. 

Quick is winless in 5 straight starts going back to December. 3 of those starts are sub .880 save %. This team isnt listening to the coach. They aren't even playing a style. They look more Gallant like than with Gallant. Personally, I think they will be fine eventually and I'd rather this happen in January than April, but we shall see. 

I think they'll be fine too, but again it doesn't matter unless Shesty comes back to even league average. That's why he is the biggest problem. Like I said, you can fix everything else and it wouldn't matter. 

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think they'll be fine too, but again it doesn't matter unless Shesty comes back to even league average. That's why he is the biggest problem. Like I said, you can fix everything else and it wouldn't matter. 

I think they’ll ultimately be ok.

Bottom line is that at the worst, they’re playing .500 hockey.

But right now, Igor is the biggest issue.

He hasn’t made a big save in a big spot in a month.

He makes a couple of those along the way, and all of a sudden, they have a few more wins and we aren’t all doom and gloom

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, RangersIn7 said:

He makes a couple of those along the way, and all of a sudden, they have a few more wins and we aren’t all doom and gloom

It's The goals that come in bunches that are killing them. Igor needs to make not just big saves, but big saves at critical moments of the game.

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

It's The goals that come in bunches that are killing them. Igor needs to make not just big saves, but big saves at critical moments of the game.

Yes.

I agree.

Part of that is how they’ve defended.

But part of that is on Igor.

As I said, he hasn’t made a big save in a month. They’ve really needed him to do so and he hasn’t. 

This is the perfect storm:

Injuries

Lineup gets shorter

Playing minor leaguers 

Playing guys up the lineup that shouldn’t be

Zib is slumping

Fox is slumping 

Igor is slumping

CK is slumping 

A few guys are playing banged up because they can’t sit them

Chytil gets back to the states and immediately gets hurt again

They start to revert to old habits because they’re overcompensating 

A bunch of guys are probably playing too many minutes 

And it’s all happened basically at the same time.

And the end of it though, they’re still roughly.500 over the stretch. Bad

Not terrible.

Still sitting in 1st

And they have a break coming up which they clearly need. 

• Applause 2

If you look at Vezina winners and finalists over the years, you see a lot of guys who had career years but didn't sustain it.  Bobo won it twice with loads of blah when he wasn't winning it (or perking up for the playoffs last years).  Hank was great and rare in that he was near the top every year for a good ten years.  Shesty?  He may be like the rest who had a career year or two and were otherwise not much above average.  Tough racket, goaltending.

https://records.nhl.com/awards/trophies/vezina-trophy

24 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

The Rangers are 3-7-1 in their last 11 games.  5-9-1 in their last 14.

There's no .500 here, even in the NHL's twisted participation trophy format.

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

BTW, we now can understand all the "A"'s.  The Rangers were trying to artificially create leadership where none exists.

I always saw it as not upsetting a few players. Kreider,  Zibanejad, Fox and the guy brought in for grit and leadership- Goodrow, are all  wearing As while a heart and soul guy like Lindgren isn't. 

Fragile bunch of self important wusses. 

38 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The Rangers are 3-7-1 in their last 11 games.  5-9-1 in their last 14.

There's no .500 here, even in the NHL's twisted participation trophy format.

Since early-December they’re approximately .500 brother.

11-12-2 since December 5.

3 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Since early-December they’re approximately .500 brother.

11-12-2 since December 5.

What does early December have to do with it?  This team wasn't the same team in early December that they were a week into the season and they're not the same team now that they were in early December.

They just lost a game to the San Jose Sharks where they gave up 2 goals in the 3rd period to lose the lead and then the game.

Does that sound like anything the early December Rangers were doing?

2 minutes ago, Br4d said:

What does early December have to do with it?  This team wasn't the same team in early December that they were a week into the season and they're not the same team now that they were in early December.

They just lost a game to the San Jose Sharks where they gave up 2 goals in the 3rd period to lose the lead and then the game.

Does that sound like anything the early December Rangers were doing?

That’s when the trend started.

If you’re saying they’re playing worse now then they were then… yes. That’s true.

Shits mounted up since then and it’s gotten worse 

Stop trying to make yourself right by making me wrong.

They’re approximately .500 since December 5.

There’s no arguing that.

• Like 1

I think they all suck right now.  Yeah, we're gonna be fine, but this is part of the trip I think, fellas.

You gotta survive shitty stretches like this sometimes to get to the end result.

They'll come out of it....Igor too.

I'd love to listen to that locker room after last night though!  Wooof!

https://www.nhl.com/news/unmasked-teams-getting-creative-in-giving-no-1-goalies-extra-rest

Unmasked: Teams getting creative in giving No. 1 goalies extra rest

'NHL teams continue to explore new ways to find more rest for their goalies....The designated practice goalie is a big hit in Vancouver.  “I've been asking for this for years and I love it,” Canucks coach Rick Tocchet said. “We might even bring him on the road. I never understood having your starting goalie playing 60 games and the next day in practice, he's got to go out there again. As a coach, in the past, you had to alter your practice if you’ve got to get him out after 20 minutes. So, if you have a third goalie or a [practice goalie] like we have I don't have to alter my practice...”

'When the Canucks used a practice goalie on Tuesday, Thatcher Demko, who was coming off a 31-save shutout against the Chicago Blackhawks the night before, was still on the ice early with goaltending coach Ian Clark. But by the time the rest of the team got out for practice, the extra goalie had replaced Demko. “I would never take a day off if guys are skating unless I had to, but sometimes the work with Clarkie is more important than seeing a shot from the same spot 100 times,” Demko said after a similar session earlier this season.'

13 minutes ago, fletch said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/unmasked-teams-getting-creative-in-giving-no-1-goalies-extra-rest

'NHL teams continue to explore new ways to find more rest for their goalies....The designated practice goalie is a big hit in Vancouver.  “I've been asking for this for years and I love it,” Canucks coach Rick Tocchet said. “We might even bring him on the road. I never understood having your starting goalie playing 60 games and the next day in practice, he's got to go out there again. As a coach, in the past, you had to alter your practice if you’ve got to get him out after 20 minutes. So, if you have a third goalie or a [practice goalie] like we have I don't have to alter my practice...”

'When the Canucks used a practice goalie on Tuesday, Thatcher Demko, who was coming off a 31-save shutout against the Chicago Blackhawks the night before, was still on the ice early with goaltending coach Ian Clark. But by the time the rest of the team got out for practice, the extra goalie had replaced Demko. “I would never take a day off if guys are skating unless I had to, but sometimes the work with Clarkie is more important than seeing a shot from the same spot 100 times,” Demko said after a similar session earlier this season.'

Cool make Igor the practice goalie. Sign a back up to Quick 

• LMFAO 1

On 1/27/2024 at 10:54 PM, 4EverRangerFrank said:

Valley speaking truth. He might not have been the best goalie but he sure understands what good goaltending looks like. His stat-based commentary sprinkled with eye test opinions ring true. 

You guys give too much credit to Vally. He’s not seeing anything more than any of us are seeing every game.  He takes a lot from CSA which isn’t always right 

• LMFAO 1

8 hours ago, siddious said:

Cool make Igor the practice goalie. Sign a back up to Quick 

Shesterkin is more likely to backstop a deep playoff run than Quick, so getting Igor right should be a priority.  It's been half a season and the status quo hasn't worked.  Maybe changing practice time to allow Allaire to work is more important that Shesterkin participating in drills with skaters.

Edited by fletch
  • Applause 1

9 hours ago, fletch said:

I actually like this method

9 hours ago, fletch said:

Tocchet thinking out of the box.  I'm with @Vodka Drunkenski on this one.  I think this is a pretty damn good idea.