• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Tyler Pitlick Week-to-Week with Lower-body Injury; Rangers Recall Brennan Othmann from Hartford

• RichieNextel305 changed the title to Rangers Recall Brennan Othmann From Hartford
  • Phil changed the title to Tyler Pitlick Week-to-Week with Injury; Rangers Recall Brennan Othmann from Hartford

Just saw the Pitlick news too, so now that makes sense.

If I’m Laviolette, I give him a look up with Kreider and Mika, and move Wheeler down to the 3rd line. Have Goodrow center that line with Wheeler and Cuylle. Then move Bonino down in between Vesey and Brodzinski.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

• Phil changed the title to Tyler Pitlick Week-to-Week with Lower-body Injury; Rangers Recall Brennan Othmann from Hartford
30 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

If I’m Laviolette, I give him a look up with Kreider and Mika, and move Wheeler down to the 3rd line. Have Goodrow center that line with Wheeler and Cuylle. Then move Bonino down in between Vesey and Brodzinski.

Doubt this.

Third line is probably Cuylle-Brodzinski-Othmann, is my guess. Then Vesey-Bonino-Goodrow.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Would love to see this.  Mika and Kreids need someone that brings energy to their line.

15 minutes ago, Phil said:

Doubt this.

Third line is probably Cuylle-Brodzinski-Othmann, is my guess. Then Vesey-Bonino-Goodrow.

I think this is what they will do, but I don't think it's what they should do.

Othmann on L1 and Wheeler on L3. Just have a short leash with him.

JFC the line of Cuylle Brodz Othmann is LITERALLY an AHL first line. 

• Bullseye 1

I know Bonino left the bench and headed to the locker room at one point too, anybody know if he got there yet?

Wait until @The Dude sees this call-up, what a night it's gonna be. 🍆

Actually looking forward to see how this kid's game stacks up at this early stage in his career. 🤞

Edited by jsrangers
  • Cheers 1

Awesome.  Was really thinking they needed to inject something different into the lineup and this is it. 

I don't think we see him immediately go to line 1. He'll do just fine on line 3.  It's probably really good to have Cuylle riding shotgun for him too. 

I'm not expecting tons of goals. I'm expecting energy,  I'm expecting volume shots, I'm expecting a guy that will go to the hard parts of the ice. Maybe even be an pest. 

Too bad they don't have a center for him. I'm expecting either Brodzinski or Goodrow to slide into the 3C spot for Othmann to have any sort of chance. Then again,  maybe he can spark a little something out if Bonino.  Just feed him passes. 

Edited by The Dude

I wouldn’t mind getting Edstrom back in there too. If both he and Othmann excel, that's a pretty nice upgrade. It's amazing the Rangers are where they are in the standings having guys like Pitlick, Bonino, Brodz, Goodrow and the corpse of Blake Wheeler getting a good amount of minutes.

It shows you how great Panarin and Zibanejad have been, and the contributions from Quick.

• Bullseye 1

We will see how this goes but this is ok.

Hes been down there long enough and done enough now to where you can give him a look. And you’ve lost another established NHL’er, so it’s warranted.

Let’s see where they place him though. How much Lavy is actually willing to play him.

And how they utilize him.

But yeah… now is fine.

The timing of this is smart. We’re not “struggling” but we’re also not firing on all cylinders and having issues with our depth. Doing this now to see what we may have at the moment with him is smart because if he comes in and performs well, it eliminates a potential deadline need. If he comes in and struggles, we still have plenty of time to pivot to fill whatever holes we have that could be figured out by then.

• Keeps it 100 1

22 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

The timing of this is smart. We’re not “struggling” but we’re also not firing on all cylinders and having issues with our depth. Doing this now to see what we may have at the moment with him is smart because if he comes in and performs well, it eliminates a potential deadline need. If he comes in and struggles, we still have plenty of time to pivot to fill whatever holes we have that could be figured out by then.

Oh No Omg GIF by Lifetime

The only reason he's here is because Pitlick is hurt and Riley Nash is hurt. Good on him for earning the right to be called up, but he got called up due to 3-4 forwards being hurt. 

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

The only reason he's here is because Pitlick is hurt and Riley Nash is hurt. Good on him for earning the right to be called up, but he got called up due to 3-4 forwards being hurt. 

And now he will remain because he out performs 3-4 forwards

Stephen Colbert Good Luck GIF

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I think this is what they will do, but I don't think it's what they should do.

Othmann on L1 and Wheeler on L3. Just have a short leash with him.

JFC the line of Cuylle Brodz Othmann is LITERALLY an AHL first line. 

There's time to get there. He has zero NHL experience. Let him get his feet wet before we throw him to the wolves.

24 minutes ago, Phil said:

There's time to get there. He has zero NHL experience. Let him get his feet wet before we throw him to the wolves.

I'd say playing him with Cuylle and Brodz is just throwing him to different kinds of wolves. 

Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere

Kreider-Zibanejad-Wheeler

Vesey-Goodrow-Pitlick

Cuylle-Bonino-Brodzinski

Those have been the lines by 5v5 usage for 3 weeks, and there's a clear line of separation between each one with TOI. My guess would be Othmann plops in right where Pitlick was, and Vesey-Goodrow-Othmann is a good line. Call it a 4th line if you want, but it's not. It's the real 3rd line for this team, just like Panarin is the real 1st line. I don't understand the unnecessary illusions around the line numbers that surround this organization.

• LOL 1