• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#17) Rangers @ Pittsburgh Penguins — We're Having Penguin for Thanksgiving

Morphinity 2.0

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

No. He's not.

He's producing.

You just want a Vesey promotion.  And that's fine. He's been flying. But Wheeler is getting opportunities and is in better position to score than anyone is giving him credit for. How's he trailing on plays yet is on the doorstep more often than not, or in position for shots from the slot that Zibanejad doesn't even look to?

I don't just "want a Vesey promotion." How ridiculous.

Don't put words in my mouth. Wheeler stinks and I would take anybody over him on the first line, Kakko, Goody, Vesey, Cuylle. 

...ummm, yeah...about that Quick guy...What a game by our Vezina candidate yet again!!

A really super defensive effort by the Crew in Blue last night.  Laffy & Panarin are indeed "magical", @LindG1000!!  A big win for Thanksgiving, and we're feeling pretty damn good about going for seconds later!!!

...and here are the Top 18 nominees for last night's “Ozzy Quote of the GDT”, sponsored by Benoit Allaire, who can turn goat piss into gasoline!!!

14 hours ago, siddious said:

Who’s LAF’ing now mother fuckers 

14 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Do you believe in miracles?! Yes!

14 hours ago, Pete said:

That how good a coach Lavvy is. Totally challenged the wrong play, still got it right.

#coachingmatters 

13 hours ago, phillyb said:

@BlairBettsBlocksEverything Nick Bonino would like a word re: your username.

13 hours ago, siddious said:

You lead such an exciting life 

13 hours ago, Keirik said:

Says the guy that asks me lawn advice 

13 hours ago, siddious said:

Ok 20 minutes. 

if anyone stays THE THING to jinx it I will

make your life a living hell for the rest of the season. 

im looking at you @mbob

13 hours ago, Keirik said:

I put Mikes Mayo in my ziti 

13 hours ago, phillyb said:

40 minutes of hockey (well, 20 minutes of hockey and 20 regulation minutes of ziti-baking) summed up in one sentence. Well done. 

12 hours ago, Keirik said:

I'll say it again, it's too bad Kakko ain't allergic to getting his ass smacked around 

12 hours ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

LOL - PIT players so old this is like a Legends Game. 

12 hours ago, knedragon said:

I couldn't figure out why the fans kept boooing Trouba when he touched the puck. Then I remembered Cynthia ran into his elbow 2 years ago.🙃

12 hours ago, VegasRanger said:

Do the refs have Penguin underoos on under their uniforms?

12 hours ago, jamsim1967 said:

Wheeler ... speed kills

My god Quick is a god. 
I'm sorry Jonathan. I'm really sorry. 

12 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

Kaboom. Eat shit, waddlebirds. 

12 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

God i love shitting in the Penguins mashed potatoes before Thanksgiving.

Quickie is definitely ready for Thanksgiving because he was stuffing the birds all night long!

You guys are really making picking a winner very tough!!  We've had some of the most hilarious, and entertaining threads the last few weeks…and the winning quote for tonight’s GDT goes to @Keirik, who basically tied it all together while trying to watch the game, give lawn advice, take care of a baby, all while making ziti with Mike's mayo!!  Nice work, Big Man!!

Two more points in the till, and I'm feeling really good about this team, and I'm even breaking out the Laffy jersey and wearing it all day!

Happy Thanksgiving, fellas!!!!!

You guys are fucking awesome!!

Edited by Ozzy
  • Thanks 1
  • The Chyt! 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Applause 2

46 minutes ago, The Dude said:

He's producing . That's a fact. So, no. 

If you're happy with that type of production on the first line, I don't know what to tell you. In the last five games he's got two points and he's averaging two shots on goal a game. One of his goals was on the power play where he wasn't even playing with Z or CK. 

So, I would completely disagree that he's producing.  

54 minutes ago, The Dude said:

He's producing . That's a fact. So, no. 

I've only watched a few games so far this season because of work, so I don't really know too much about how he's playing, but what do you mean by this? If he was actually scoring goals and putting up points this would be a fair argument, but saying "He's producing, that's a fact, end off" when the guy has 2 goals and 4 points in 17 games, with top line minutes doesn't really make sense. He's on pace for 10/10-20, which is "great 4th line/decent 3rd line production", not 1st line production.

If he's slow and often out of position and struggling in his own end at the same time, I don't really see the point in continuing with him on the 1st line.

Vesey has outproduced him so far this season. He's faster, he's better without the puck and he has some previous chemistry with Kreider and Zib. Feels like a natural change to me.

11 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I've only watched a few games so far this season because of work, so I don't really know too much about how he's playing, but what do you mean by this? If he was actually scoring goals and putting up points this would be a fair argument, but saying "He's producing, that's a fact, end off" when the guy has 2 goals and 4 points in 17 games, with top line minutes doesn't really make sense. He's on pace for 10/10-20, which is "great 4th line/decent 3rd line production", not 1st line production.

If he's slow and often out of position and struggling in his own end at the same time, I don't really see the point in continuing with him on the 1st line.

Vesey has outproduced him so far this season. He's faster, he's better without the puck and he has some previous chemistry with Kreider and Zib. Feels like a natural change to me.

He was put in the top line 5 or 6 games ago. He's been producing lightly since then.

Most of his points have come when moved up. He's gaining chemistry and is already out producing what Kakko did in a much longer look on that line. It's not much, but it's something and it's only been a shirt while.

Don't read much into this talk that he's always behind on plays or isn't good defensively. He's fine. He's not an issue. He's not holding back that kine. Infact their 5 on 5 production has ticked up. 

I'm not against Vesey getting a look, but it's not necessary. Seems like the problem isn't exactly the RW with tge Kreider-Zibanejad combo. It's the Kreider-Zibanejad combo. 

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

He was put in the top line 5 or 6 games ago. He's been producing lightly since then.

Most of his points have come when moved up. He's gaining chemistry and is already out producing what Kakko did in a much longer look on that line. It's not much, but it's something and it's only been a shirt while.

Don't read much into this talk that he's always behind on plays or isn't good defensively. He's fine. He's not an issue. He's not holding back that kine. Infact their 5 on 5 production has ticked up. 

I'm not against Vesey getting a look, but it's not necessary. Seems like the problem isn't exactly the RW with tge Kreider-Zibanejad combo. It's the Kreider-Zibanejad combo. 

What are the metrics that indicate this?

He's had an unassisted empty net goal, a secondary assist, and a PP goal assisted by Cuylle and Lafreniere. 

Where is this chemistry that you're talking about?

34 minutes ago, Pete said:

If you're happy with that type of production on the first line, I don't know what to tell you. In the last five games he's got two points and he's averaging two shots on goal a game. One of his goals was on the power play where he wasn't even playing with Z or CK. 

So, I would completely disagree that he's producing.  

He's producing more than Kakko did in his 12+ games with the combo. It's not a lot but hasn't even been very long. Kakko got 12+ games before people wanted a change. 

Small results are better than no results. Wheeler has an uptick in production since the slot up and its shit on. He's gaining traction and is finding his way.

Acting like he's useless and not producing is disingenuous. His confidence and comfort level is going up. I see no issue with this player  playing where he is.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving man. I'm not arguing today. 

Hi all, haven't posted or visited her in ages. Just recovered my password etc... So far from what I see this Ranger team is much different than last years not very "Galant" team. Just some random thoughts, don't kill me too badly LOL

We (or at least, I had) forgot how young Laf actually is, being thrown into the big man's game at 19. He is now starting to show why he was a #1 overall. Playing really well and contributing at both ends of the ice. I have been really impressed so far.

Igor had bettter get his game going because Quick has been unbeatable so far. The Rangers are dominant every time he is in goal. Even Domingue played really well that one game. Benoit Allaire, what can you say, he is the common denominator in all of the Rangers great goal tenders over the years.

Panarin playing well. Zib not scoring (yet) but being responsible at both ends. Kreider is a monster and headed towards 40+ goals again. I wish he was a tad more physical at times because when he is, he is unstoppable as Chris Letang found out last night. I hate the Pukes. Last night although a nail biter, was really sweet after the final horn sounded. Trochek playing well this season, better than last. Love his grit and toughness. Vesey and the 4th line also contributing, this is a very deep team.

Last years team blows that 1-0 lead and loses that game in OT or a shoot out,

however, this team finds ways to win despite missing their best player(s). This is a really good sign, a sign of depth and team chemistry. They can fall behind, but you can never count them out.

Power play and PK are really good as well. ST's often determine the outcome of games.

They beat NJ. To me, that was huge because last season, NJ skated circles around them, and my fear was they were too old and slow to keep up.

Was skeptical about the hrifng of La Veal Cutlet, but I have to say, this team playing the center ice trap gives up very little defensively, and is poised to counter from their blue line into the offensive zone. Defensive zone break outs are also going better than weve seen in many years.

So far, so good. This Ranger team seems to be very formidable and will hopefully remain so all season, through May, and deep into June. Like they say on Twitter,  "why not us"?

• Bullseye 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Applause 1
  • Believe 1

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

What are the metrics that indicate this?

He's had an unassisted empty net goal, a secondary assist, and a PP goal assisted by Cuylle and Lafreniere. 

Where is this chemistry that you're talking about?

I don't need metrics. Just look at the stats. Each have an even strength assist in this span. Kreider and Wheeler have even strength goals in that span. This wasn't happening prior. It is now.  

It's got more chemistry than Kakko did. The ES points are the proof in the pudding. It's only been 5-6 games. Is it huge? No. Its a start. 6 games.

Not sure why this has to he rushed when there are already small results. 

14 minutes ago, The Dude said:

He's producing more than Kakko did in his 12+ games with the combo. It's not a lot but hasn't even been very long. Kakko got 12+ games before people wanted a change. 

Small results are better than no results. Wheeler has an uptick in production since the slot up and its shit on. He's gaining traction and is finding his way.

Acting like he's useless and not producing is disingenuous. His confidence and comfort level is going up. I see no issue with this player  playing where he is.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving man. I'm not arguing today. 

He's had a handful of points that have had nothing to do with him being on the first line.

I don't even think he's slow, he's just behind the play all the time. His top end speed is okay, but when the play goes the other way his change of direction and push is God awful. That's why he's late into both zones so often. 

28 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I don't need metrics. Just look at the stats. Each have an even strength assist in this span. Kreider and Wheeler have even strength goals in that span. This wasn't happening prior. It is now.  

It's got more chemistry than Kakko did. The ES points are the proof in the pudding. It's only been 5-6 games. Is it huge? No. Its a start. 6 games.

Not sure why this has to he rushed when there are already small results. 

It's been five or six games and Wheeler has two even strength points, one of them an empty net goal. 

In the same span Krieder has 2 ES points that came against Columbus. Zib has 1 ESP.

In no world can you call that good production from a first line. 

All the numbers speak for themselves, the line is better without Wheeler.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20232024&thruseason=20232024&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=NYR&vteam=ALL&view=wowy&loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2023-10-10&td=2024-04-18&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=8471218&p2=8475184&p3=8476459&p4=0&p5=0

Edited by Pete

15 minutes ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

@Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc You’ve only been able to see a few games ‘because of work?’ Damn! It’s time you learned about LinkedIn or Monster and get a new gig. RANGERS are waaaaaaaaaay more important than a paycheck workin’ for the man. Fuuuuuuuuuuck. 🤦‍♂️

LOL - just kidding bud. I know how it goes. 

Haha, I really wish I could’ve seen more games this season, the team seems to be flying.

Unfortunately watching a game that starts 1am (and it’s been many games in the west, then it’s 3 or 4am) doesn’t go well with work at 8am. I watch the weekend games, but it’s only been a few so far this season. Really been screwed over by the schedule so far.

I usually watch most games from february and out, but at this time of the year it’s so cold and dark here so I need my beauty sleep lol

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Hi all, haven't posted or visited her in ages. Just recovered my password etc... So far from what I see this Ranger team is much different than last years not very "Galant" team. Just some random thoughts, don't kill me too badly LOL

We (or at least, I had) forgot how young Laf actually is, being thrown into the big man's game at 19. He is now starting to show why he was a #1 overall. Playing really well and contributing at both ends of the ice. I have been really impressed so far.

Igor had bettter get his game going because Quick has been unbeatable so far. The Rangers are dominant every time he is in goal. Even Domingue played really well that one game. Benoit Allaire, what can you say, he is the common denominator in all of the Rangers great goal tenders over the years.

Panarin playing well. Zib not scoring (yet) but being responsible at both ends. Kreider is a monster and headed towards 40+ goals again. I wish he was a tad more physical at times because when he is, he is unstoppable as Chris Letang found out last night. I hate the Pukes. Last night although a nail biter, was really sweet after the final horn sounded. Trochek playing well this season, better than last. Love his grit and toughness. Vesey and the 4th line also contributing, this is a very deep team.

Last years team blows that 1-0 lead and loses that game in OT or a shoot out,

however, this team finds ways to win despite missing their best player(s). This is a really good sign, a sign of depth and team chemistry. They can fall behind, but you can never count them out.

Power play and PK are really good as well. ST's often determine the outcome of games.

They beat NJ. To me, that was huge because last season, NJ skated circles around them, and my fear was they were too old and slow to keep up.

Was skeptical about the hrifng of La Veal Cutlet, but I have to say, this team playing the center ice trap gives up very little defensively, and is poised to counter from their blue line into the offensive zone. Defensive zone break outs are also going better than weve seen in many years.

So far, so good. This Ranger team seems to be very formidable and will hopefully remain so all season, through May, and deep into June. Like they say on Twitter,  "why not us"?

Where you been?!?!? Stick around and post more often! We got the start of a special year brewing. 

3 hours ago, Pete said:

It's been five or six games and Wheeler has two even strength points, one of them an empty net goal. 

In the same span Krieder has 2 ES points that came against Columbus. Zib has 1 ESP.

In no world can you call that good production from a first line. 

All the numbers speak for themselves, the line is better without Wheeler.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20232024&thruseason=20232024&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=NYR&vteam=ALL&view=wowy&loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2023-10-10&td=2024-04-18&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=8471218&p2=8475184&p3=8476459&p4=0&p5=0

It's better than it was.

It's only been 6 games.

You were fine with with waiting forever for it to click with Kakko when they were doing absolutely nothing production wise at ES.  

6 games with Wheeler (if its 7, i apologize, but big whoop) and we see a small (very small) spike in production.  Each is playing better at ES. There is production there now. There wasn't before. It can get better. 6 games man. 

The line produced dog dick at ES without Wheeler. It's producing now at an early stage. It's NOT better without him. It did absolutely nothing for 12 or so games before he was put there.

Is it the best it can be?

No.

It should improve with time though. 

I don't see a better option on this roster, or a better use for Wheeler. 

Not until it's to the point it was at with Kakko there. It' was that bad. Metrics be damned. There was no production. 

18 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It's better than it was.

Except it isn't and there's no evidence otherwise. 

Just like there's no evidence there's been an "uptick in production".

There is quite literally no evidence behind your argument. 

So I guess... That's just your opinion man.