• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Chris Kreider Is Now Fourth All-time in Goals for the Rangers

Phil

4 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

I guess I misunderstood the context of your post since it isn't quoting anything or really reference anything at all. 🤷‍♂️

I guess I misunderstood the context of this post for all the same reasons. Maybe not every post is meant for you? 

4 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

I guess I misunderstood the context of your post since it isn't quoting anything or really reference anything at all. 🤷‍♂️

You didn’t misunderstand anything. Pete just must have eaten all his edibles in one sitting. Can someone in the group text go to his house to check on him?

• Like 1
  • LMFAO 1

15 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Graves played 772 games for Rangers with 280 goals, 227 assists for 507 points.

Kreider is at 744 games, 273 goals, 214 assists for 487 points.

Not much of a difference and Kreider isn't finished yet. 

The Stanley Cup is the only argument for Graves over Kreider.

He didn't "only" win the Stanley Cup. He was the heartbeat of that team in many ways. A lot of it has to do with the way he played the game and the person he was too. He went out there every night and went head first into everything, taking an absolute beating for the team with no consideration for his own health and general well being. 100% willing to sacrifice it all for the team.

Their numbers are comparable, but to me Graves is an absolute legend. Kreider is a good player, great guy and a career ranger. That's good too, but to me longevity isn't enough to earn legendary status.

• Bullseye 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Not trying to put Graves down at all but if you retired his number you have to consider retiring Kreider’s.   Graves was one of my favorite Rangers but he only had 1 great season.  They have very similar career numbers and like I’ve said before Kreider seems to be getting better.   

Those of us who saw it will never forget Graves throwing his stick up in the air when the Rangers won the cup.

What moment has Kreider had that is etched in your mind such that you will remember it until the day you die?

4 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Those of us who saw it will never forget Graves throwing his stick up in the air when the Rangers won the cup.

What moment has Kreider had that is etched in your mind such that you will remember it until the day you die?

Not sure how you’re example makes Graves number worthy of retirement.  
Again Graves had 1 great season and a few good seasons which is Kreider’s career.   Not saying it doesn’t add up to a good player but is it really number retirement material?  If one is you have to consider the other especially since Kreider is just adding to what he’s already done and getting better at it. 

2 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Again Graves had 1 great season and a few good seasons which is Kreider’s career.   Not saying it doesn’t add up to a good player but is it really number retirement material?  If one is you have to consider the other especially since Kreider is just adding to what he’s already done and getting better at it. 

Graves was a leader on a Stanley Cup winning team.

I'm not sure Kreider has ever been a leader on the Rangers.

You don't need to be a Hall of Famer or a legendary player to have your number retired or honored. Cup or not, I think it's a pretty safe bet Kreider goes up, especially if he continues to put up numbers and maybe winds up with close to 400 for his career when it's all said and done. I will say I think Graves is probably better, but that doesn't mean Chris won't be deserving of the honor. Adam was a Rangers legend on and off the ice, and was a great ambassador for the team after he retired.

• VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

17 minutes ago, Br4d said:

And again 1 season doesn't make a number worthy of retiring.   Think you keep missing the point.  Almost every Rangers fan loves Graves including me, but if he was on another team we probably all question why his number is retired.  When Kreider is finished as a Ranger he is either going to be the number 1 or 2 all time Rangers goal scorer. 

Graves and Kreider have nothing to do with each other. If CK retired tomorrow, no you would not raise his jersey to the rafters.

If he continues to be a lifelong Ranger and holds some of the top spots regarding team records around games played, goals scored, power play goals, whatever the case may be, then you can probably see them retiring his number again provided he retires a Ranger. 

• Keeps it 100 1

Kreider is currently in that group where jersey retirement is a lifetime achievement award.

Two paths to jersey retirement:

1) Stays with team through the entirety of his career, continuing to pile up stats.

2) Win a Cup with the team. If he plays 2-3 seasons elsewhere at the end of his career, nobody will care at that point. His jersey will go up.

Kreider is a dick when it comes to autographs.  He never stops to sign anything. He's a dick.  My 10-year old daughter was devastated.  

While Fox, Panarin, all took their time and signed fans' stuff.  Henrik was great at it too.  Would always sign shit for the fans. 

• JIMMY! 1

2 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

Kreider is a dick when it comes to autographs.  He never stops to sign anything. He's a dick.  My 10-year old daughter was devastated.  

While Fox, Panarin, all took their time and signed fans' stuff.  Henrik was great at it too.  Would always sign shit for the fans. 

Kreider has spidey sense and knows you hate him

8 hours ago, Br4d said:

A bunch of the numbers hanging up in the rafters haven't won a cup. Cups aren't always the benchmark for number retirement.

Longevity with the team, being a staple for a long time and of course stats are what typically in the conversation for the honor.

Kreider is a life long Ranger for what could be 15 consecutive years at the end of the day. Maybe more..

Like him or not, a case doesn't even have to be made for his number to be up there one day. He's still climbing the goals ladder. It's pretty much a given that he will be 3rd all time in goals for the Rangers.  Slight possibility he ends his career as number 2 all time. How is it not ?

9 hours ago, Br4d said:

9 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

The last thing I'll remember Graves for is throwing the stick, just like I had never seen this clip until @Keirik posted it in a game thread recently. 

Should Kreider finish out his career as a Ranger and continue to put up big numbers I think his number will be retired. (I think the idea of retiring numbers is lame to begin with, with very few exceptions Gretzky for example, great players who die tragically etc) Generally a silly idea for both guys we're talking about here. 

• Cheers 1

My favourite Graves image/moment is him skating around in pre game for G7, no helmet on looking up at the stands as every single person of the 18500 in the Garden chants “we want the cup”. Every time I see it I try to imagine the sheer weight of pressure of pressure on those guys. Incredible. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1