• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Chris Kreider Is Now Fourth All-time in Goals for the Rangers

Phil

3 hours ago, Valriera said:

Amazing really that we only have one player over 400 lol

The Rangers modus operandi for decades now is to acquire proven vet scorers *and build the team around them*.

That's why we have nobody with more than 406 goals.  The proven vets score some when they get here but they also retire maybe 5-6 seasons later and that's not enough time to score a large amount of goals.

Edit: They're also generally beginning the decline phase of their career when they arrive.

Edited by Br4d

I thought for awhile that maybe Zibanejad could pass Gilbert, but it could very well be Kreider. Them not really having a super elite goal scorer in their history isn't too surprising. Like someone said, they acquire them when they are veterans. It also doesn't help they suck at drafting and developing elite offensive forwards. 406 goals is nothing to sneeze at, but you'll never see the Rangers have that Ovechkin sniper type or a Malkin or a Crosby. It just won't happen here. Rangers offense is usually just good enough, while relying on great goaltending, which they have been blessed with in their history.

Schedule was 70 games for Gilbert's first five years.  Kreider has missed more due to injury and lost one full year due to lockout, another half season due to a lockout, and another half season due to COVID.  While he's had Zib in the latter part of his career, he has not had a Ratelle long term as Gilbert did.  

6 hours ago, phillyb said:

With the talk of the Rangers acquiring talent late, I started to wonder what the rest of the franchises looked like. Not including Seattle, here’s a list of the 31 other teams and their goal leaders - https://thehockeynews.com/news/franchise-leaders-the-all-time-goal-leader-for-all-31-nhl-teams

Gilbert with 406 is 22nd on the list. 

Rangers are last of the original 6 on that list.  Maple Leafs are close at 426.

I think the primary issue is that the Rangers have always wanted to field a competitive team at all costs to keep the stands full.  This means they've rarely committed to youth preferring to bring in big names and foreign imports instead.  The cost of that has been players arriving at the Rangers at 27+ and just not having all that many years to accumulate goals.

The secondary cost has been the Rangers having to go back to the free agent/trade well every 3 or 4 years to keep the cycle going.

5 hours ago, leetchy2 said:

So does Kreider's jersey get raised to the rafters and the number retired?

Absolutely! Best Rangers forward since the Mess, Graves group. Probably ends up second on all time goals list for the team. Let's hope he gets a cup in the next two years to solidify it. 

If Kreider goes into the rafters without winning a cup he'll be "who dat?" to future generations.

Not saying he hasn't had a good career but the only thing he has done to stand out at any point is the 52 goal season in 21-22.

• VINNY! 1

56 minutes ago, Br4d said:

If Kreider goes into the rafters without winning a cup he'll be "who dat?" to future generations.

Not saying he hasn't had a good career but the only thing he has done to stand out at any point is the 52 goal season in 21-22.

Idk, I feel that way about some of the retired numbers now. I had to look them up and here are some (ignorant) thoughts on "who dat:"

- I don't know what Harry Howell did for the team, but I see that he played ~17 seasons. Didn't win a cup. Who dat?

- Vic Hadfield played ~15 seasons for the club (59-74). Never in any trivia or tributes I've seen. Didn't win a cup. Who dat?

- I'd almost argue that people even younger than me would say "who dat" to Giacomin, Gilbert, and Ratelle as well. No cups. 

All my opinions, but...

Stanley Cup for Graves....pretty great career here also.  Mess goes without saying...as does Richter.

No way Ratelle isn't up there with the rest of his GAG line (Hatfield and Gilbert).  Those guys were THE RANGERS in the early 70's.

Harry Howell was before me, but he's one of the best defenseman in the NHL before some guy Orr came along. 

Oh shit forgot Eddie....yeah definietly!  "The People's Cherse"!

Edited by Ozzy

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

All my opinions, but...

Stanley Cup for Graves....pretty great career here also.  Mess goes without saying...as does Richter.

No way Ratelle isn't up there with the rest of his GAG line (Hatfield and Gilbert).  Those guys were THE RANGERS in the early 70's.

Harry Howell was before me, but he's one of the best defenseman in the NHL before some guy Orr came along. 

Chris Kreider is one of the Rangers of this era.