• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Chris Kreider Is Now Fourth All-time in Goals for the Rangers

Phil

1 minute ago, phillyb said:

Chris Kreider is one of the Rangers of this era. 

No doubt, my man....I just need more convincing on him.  ie: a Cup, MVP, 500 goals.  I'll even take tenure like @Pete mentioned.  If he finishes here with 1000 games played, I'd say ok fine, hang #20 from the rafters.

• Keeps it 100 1

Yeah, I think that's the boat I'm in regarding whether or not his number gets retired. If he were to retire right now, I think the answer is no. If he finishes out his contract here, pots 30-35 a year, I think there's a case to be made.

@Pete He's 32 - you think he'll be Jagr-like and play into his 40s? 

26 minutes ago, phillyb said:

Yeah, I think that's the boat I'm in regarding whether or not his number gets retired. If he were to retire right now, I think the answer is no. If he finishes out his contract here, pots 30-35 a year, I think there's a case to be made.

if he keeps avoiding physical contact-he could

40 minutes ago, phillyb said:

Chris Kreider is one of the Rangers of this era. 

That's not enough to get your number in the rafters.

The only guy from this era who deserves to be in the rafters because of his performance is there: Lundqvist.

If winning a cup is the criteria, then we need to take a lot of numbers down! Best Rangers skater the past 20 years (a generation) probably finishes 2nd in all time goal scoring for the team. Trip to cup finals and trip to semi-finals. I think he is deserving.

• Applause 1

3 minutes ago, Duguay10 said:

If winning a cup is the criteria, then we need to take a lot of numbers down! Best Rangers skater the past 20 years (a generation) probably finishes 2nd in all time goal scoring for the team. Trip to cup finals and trip to semi-finals. I think he is deserving.

Vic Hadfield up was the mistake.  Adding Kreider just compounds that.

Winning the Cup isn't the criteria, but it absolutely gives a major edge to candidates who won.

Also, yearly reminder that retired numbers are stupid. Just honor them. Then you don't have to worry about all this arbitrary bullshit about who makes what cut based on who's personal preference. Kreider can hang alongside Ratelle and no one would even question it.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Winning the Cup isn't the criteria, but it absolutely gives a major edge to candidates who won.

Also, yearly reminder that retired numbers are stupid. Just honor them. Then you don't have to worry about all this arbitrary bullshit about who makes what cut based on who's personal preference. Kreider can hang alongside Ratelle and no one would even question it.

I used to be a traditionalist regarding retiring numbers, but I've really come around on it. There's no reason someone today shouldn't be able to wear a particular number on their sweater because someone else wore it 50, 60, 70 years ago. 

• Keeps it 100 1

I think it's something cool to do, and I like it. It's not something I was necessarily stressing over, but for the longest time they only had two retired numbers, which was a joke. I'm at least glad over the last 15 years or whatever, they got much better at honoring their history and their past players. It's also a good thing to do for young fans so they know who these people are and know a little more about the history of the team. It's why I like that the Yankees have Old Timer's day every year.

1 hour ago, phillyb said:

Dave Andreychuk like

• Applause 1

26 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I think it's something cool to do, and I like it. It's not something I was necessarily stressing over, but for the longest time they only had two retired numbers, which was a joke. I'm at least glad over the last 15 years or whatever, they got much better at honoring their history and their past players. It's also a good thing to do for young fans so they know who these people are and know a little more about the history of the team. It's why I like that the Yankees have Old Timer's day every year.

Except that you can literally keep all the pomp and circumstance but not take the number out of rotation by just honoring it instead of retiring it.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Except that you can literally keep all the pomp and circumstance but not take the number out of rotation by just honoring it instead of retiring it.

Yeah, I would be cool with that also. The Maple Leafs do that with their whole 'Ring of Honor' thing, and they still do a banner I believe, even though the number is not out of circulation.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

No it can't. Stanley Cup.

Graves played 772 games for Rangers with 280 goals, 227 assists for 507 points.

Kreider is at 744 games, 273 goals, 214 assists for 487 points.

Not much of a difference and Kreider isn't finished yet. 

The Stanley Cup is the only argument for Graves over Kreider.

Just now, RJWantsTheCup said:

and it's the biggest.  

there's nothing special about Kreider that he deserves his number being retired, only that he's a career ranger (so far)

1 minute ago, Albatrosss said:

and it's the biggest.  

there's nothing special about Kreider that he deserves his number being retired, only that he's a career ranger (so far)

If you throw out the Stanley Cup year and Kreider's 50 goal season they are the same player.  Nothing really special, but good players.  Weird thing about Kreider is that he seems to be getting better.

There's lots of guys that played on Stanley Cup winners that aren't anything special.  I don't hold winning the cup as that much of an individual achievement especially when it's only 1 time.  Multiple cups is another story.

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, I would be cool with that also. The Maple Leafs do that with their whole 'Ring of Honor' thing, and they still do a banner I believe, even though the number is not out of circulation.

Bingo.

3 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

The only argument is the biggest possible argument?