• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

But Seriously, How Good Is Panarin?

Valriera

It’s 268 regular season games, 1.27 points per game on that span. McD is at 1.49, Draisaitl at 1.17. Playoff nonsense arguments aside, which I don’t subscribe to since the dude scored a game 7 OT winner, this guy is roughly in the middle of two players at the top of the hart trophy lists every season. He passes the eye test because he controls play almost every shift, and he has the production to back it up over the course of several seasons here. 

There are lots of good players in the league, but Panarin, at this point, must be considered a great one. Everyone is a notch below McDavid, I’m not sure there’s anyone else between panarin and McD, at this point. Could argue one way or another for play style etc but I’m having trouble seeing an argument that there is anyone between those two. Probably a few tied at panarins level.  

what a special player we have gotten to enjoy during his time here 

Edited by Valriera

The best free agent signing in a very long time, and in my opinion, is the team's MVP so far. Of course Shesterkin is in that conversation too, but Panarin is looking like he did in 2020 which is only a good thing for this team. If Mika can start getting hot now, with the defense and goaltending playing this well, we're in for a fun time. That's one great thing that Gorton and JD did during their time here. They did what it took to bring him here. I never wanted to hear he was overpaid or whatever. No. Guys like him don't grow on trees, and when he's not here anymore, you'll wish he was.

10 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Do the playoff splits as a Ranger next

Let's see what happens with Lavvy back there, my man.  I'm liking his intensity right now.  Hard to believe that won't increase or at least carry over.  The guy's an elite player by most standards in my book.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Let's see what happens with Lavvy back there, my man.  I'm liking his intensity right now.  Hard to believe that won't increase or at least carry over.  The guy's an elite player by most standards in my book.

I hope you’re right. From your lips to God’s ears

• Believe 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

There's always going to be the contingent of haters.

He's going to decline! Doesn't look that way.

He doesn't shoot enough! He's shooting plenty now.

He turns it over too much! He's on pace for the least amount of giveaways since his rookie year.

So of course the conversation needs to be directed towards something that may or may not happen in the playoffs, and something he can't prove out until April.

It's dishonest argument to begin with. You can't whine about perceived April problems in October.

• Like 1

Just now, Pete said:

There's always going to be the contingent of haters.

He's going to decline! Doesn't look that way.

He doesn't shoot enough! He's shooting plenty now.

He turns it over too much! He's on pace for the least amount of giveaways since his rookie year.

So of course the conversation needs to be directed towards something that may or may not happen in the playoffs, and something he can't prove out until April.

It's dishonest argument to begin with. You can't whine about perceived April problems in October.

I get your point, but it's a bit dishonest on your part.

No ones ever said Panarin isn't a great player in October. There were (obvious) concern about if he would improve or regress after last season and based on his age the natural thing would be to decline a bit. I think everyone can agree that Panarin was not shooting enough the last two years.

Now he's doing all the right things and playing like the star he is, but no one's argued he can't do that in October. He's proved that numerous times before. The entire discussion around Panarin has always been his playoff performance. Great performances in October doesn't answer the question about if he can do it in April.

That said - You're right that it's pointless to argue his playoff performance in October, but it's also no point in trying to prove people wrong because he's playing good in October. That was never the issue.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I get your point, but it's a bit dishonest on your part.

No ones ever said Panarin isn't a great player in October. There were (obvious) concern about if he would improve or regress after last season and based on his age the natural thing would be to decline a bit. I think everyone can agree that Panarin was not shooting enough the last two years.

Now he's doing all the right things and playing like the star he is, but no one's argued he can't do that in October. He's proved that numerous times before. The entire discussion around Panarin has always been his playoff performance. Great performances in October doesn't answer the question about if he can do it in April.

That said - You're right that it's pointless to argue his playoff performance in October, but it's also no point in trying to prove people wrong because he's playing good in October. That was never the issue.

People have, though. That's why I'm calling it out. There's been critiques of his game before the playoff shortcomings.

Edited by Pete

14 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Guy is on fire right now. When he's on he's unplayable. Not sure what happened the last couple years, but he looks to be back to his absolute best right now and it's a pleasure to watch.

2nd best after McD is a stretch tho, but he's a top 10 player when he's at his best.

He’s second to only

mcdavid on this list of active players during his time in New York.

i don’t think it’s as much of a stretch as it seems. Production wise, it’s a fact, he drives play every game, idk, make an argument the other way, playoffs aside.

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/nhl-active-players-all-time-points-per-game-leaders.html

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

People have, though. That's why I'm calling it out. There's been critiques of his game before the playoff shortcomings.

Okey, maybe I've missed it. The off-season was too much for me, so I checked out of this place for a few weeks lol.

Just now, Valriera said:

He’s second to only

mcdavid on this list of active players during his time in New York.

i don’t think it’s as much of a stretch as it seems. Production wise, it’s a fact, he drives play every game, idk, make an argument the other way, playoffs aside.

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/nhl-active-players-all-time-points-per-game-leaders.html

It depends on how you measure it. If we take the last 5 years of regular season I guess you have an argument, are we talking right now it's a different story. How much should last years playoffs weight in comparison to the 9 regular season games we've played so far this season? Players like Pettersson, Hughes, Makar, Kaprizov haven't been in the league for 5+ years, but are arguably all better than Panarin right now.

How do you compare a offense-only winger with a two-way center ala Zibanejad? No one takes Panarin ahead of MacKinnon, Matthews, Crosby, Draisatl. Probably not ahead of Zibanejad, Eichel, Pettersson, Point, Barkov as well, but you can argue both ways there I guess.

And then how does he compare to other scoring wingers? Rantanen, Pastrnak, Kucherov, Tkachuk x2.

And we haven't even started with goalies and defenders. Do you take Panarin before Shesterkin and Fox? Hellebuyck, Makar, Hedman, McAvoy etc.

Around top 10 at his best - I'm really struggling to put him at top 3.

• Cheers 2
  • VINNY! 1

• 3 weeks later...

Panarin is insane when he is driving the offense and very good when he is in pass first, shoot only as a last resort mode.

We got the first guy the first year he was here and this year.  We got the second guy the last 3 seasons.

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

The Return of Hartemi.

Right there with whoever else is in the running 15-20 games in.

I had to go take a look to see who was in the conversation this early. Damn, Quinn Hughes is on an astronomical pace. Currently pacing to finish with a top 5 season of all time from a defenseman.

4 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Right there with whoever else is in the running 15-20 games in.

I had to go take a look to see who was in the conversation this early. Damn, Quinn Hughes is on an astronomical pace. Currently pacing to finish with a top 5 season of all time from a defenseman.

Insane hockey genetics in that family.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Panarin is insane when he is driving the offense and very good when he is in pass first, shoot only as a last resort mode.

We got the first guy the first year he was here and this year.  We got the second guy the last 3 seasons.

I don't think so. We've never seen this Panarin before. He was excellent year 1, but this is something vastly different.

82 game paces:

Year 1: 38g, 113 pts, 248 SOG, 478 shot attempts

This Year: 55g, 142 pts, 349 SOG, 662 shot attempts

Year 1 was a career high in every one of those categories. He's on pace to obliterate those, but the SOG/shot attempts difference in particular is off the charts and completely out of the ordinary for him as the player he's been his entire career.

Defying odds of regression w/ age, and playing a completely different game to do it. Good for him.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Bullseye 1
  • Cheers 1