• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

But Seriously, How Good Is Panarin?

Valriera

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I wasn't here for the Nash thread, although @Keirik told me about it a while ago.   The guy has sick talent, and it's just awesome to watch him every game.  In all the 52 years I've watched this team, it' hasn't been very often that I got to see a player like him.  Even Gilbert in his prime...well, maybe he was the closest. 

I could maybe throw Leetch in there, but he was a defenseman, and it's kinda not the same.  But just getting to watch him every game has been a real treat this season.

What he's doing now is very Jagr'esque in his first year after the lockout. Gaboriks first year Herr comes to mind as well. 

2 minutes ago, Goodvibe said:

Somebody mentioned trading Panarin. That’s probably the dumbest comment I’ve ever read. For who? Look what he’s done to his line mates and that lethal PP. you absolutely cannot be a Rangers fan with a comment like that. 

Welcome to the site! 

Well, you missed an epic thread!  Make yourself comfortable, and get ready for quite a ride!  This site has some of the best people on it!

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Goodvibe said:

Somebody mentioned trading Panarin. That’s probably the dumbest comment I’ve ever read. For who? Look what he’s done to his line mates and that lethal PP. you absolutely cannot be a Rangers fan with a comment like that. 

Hey bro! Welcome to the site. Try to keep in mind, sometimes some guys say things as jokes, or for shock value, or for some reverse jinx to get a guy going. Don't worry about it. In the end, we all are Rangers fans. Happy posting and come join us in the game day thread for a fun watch along party. Gets kind of wild with tons of hot takes but all in good fun.

LGR! 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Definitely more fun talking about how good he is. I get being frustrated at some playoff performances, but the desire to trade him was nonsensical and went on for far too long.

Panarin doesn’t look how he looks this year without the widespread backlash about his bust playoff performances. Blind enablers don’t get the most out of people.

With that said, there’s way too much victory lapping going on around here. I won’t take a victory lap for pushing Panarin to be better with hard criticism until they win a Cup.

1 minute ago, Goodvibe said:

First off, welcome to the forum.

Secondly, given you're new there are likely a number of discussions you haven't been exposed to. One such discussion was a long-running thread musing about trading Panarin. That's not a consensus belief, but one that a few posters considered given his postseason struggles and various other reasons.

Thirdly, I'd recommend that you don't come out guns blazing despite not understanding the context of a post. It's a poor way to ingratiate yourself here and we don't really go for calling comments the "dumbest I've ever read."

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

Panarin doesn’t look how he looks this year without the widespread backlash about his bust playoff performances. Blind enablers don’t get the most out of people.

With that said, there’s way too much victory lapping going on around here. I won’t take a victory lap for pushing Panarin to be better with hard criticism until they win a Cup.

Fair enough. I'm at least glad he took it personally enough, but yeah, we need to see it all year long. Him dominating all year in the regular season, only to have another crap postseason would be on brand for him. lol

7 minutes ago, Goodvibe said:

So sorry about my post. I love the guy and would never want him to be traded. I guess I overreacted. Yes I am new to this  

You're good! Like I said, in the end we all are Rangers fans. This is a great site and a lot of good information comes out of here. 

4 minutes ago, Goodvibe said:

So sorry about my post. I love the guy and would never want him to be traded. I guess I overreacted. Yes I am new to this  

For context, the “trade Panarin” thread being referenced was started by someone two years ago, and I still can’t tell if it was started as a joke or not. It rightfully got shat on.

Since then, there’s been two really bad playoff performances where he looked incredibly soft and ineffective with turnovers galore. The “bad joke” gained legitimacy, and the topic isn’t settled until we see what happens in the playoffs. Cups aren’t won in October and November. Panarin’s contract can’t be earned in October and November either.

4 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

For context, the “trade Panarin” thread being referenced was started by someone two years ago, and I still can’t tell if it was started as a joke or not. It rightfully got shat on.

Since then, there’s been two really bad playoff performances where he looked incredibly soft and ineffective with turnovers galore. The “bad joke” gained legitimacy, and the topic isn’t settled until we see what happens in the playoffs. Cups aren’t won in October and November. Panarin’s contract can’t be earned in October and November either.

So if Panarin makes a good showing (PPG) in the playoffs, you have to change your name back to RMC?  😉

• LMFAO 1

21 minutes ago, Goodvibe said:

No worries, man...some of us over react to just about everything!  LOL

Wait 'till you read through a few Game Day Threads (GDT's), like Keirik mentioned!

• Applause 1

29 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

And that was the second iteration of a trade Panarin thread. There was a trade Panarin thread that started the offseason he signed before he had even played a game as a Ranger.

• LMFAO 1

Keirik
This post was recognized by Keirik!

Drew a Penalty was awarded the badge 'Reacting Well'

To get back to Panarin, I don't think there's one particular change you can credit, but he has undoubtedly done a ton of work to rehabilitate himself. Nikita Zadorov mentioned in an interview this summer that Panarin has OCD and there were a number of reports that Panarin became a bit of a hockey shut-in during the offseason. 

Rather than taking time to escape from the game this summer, Panarin immersed himself in it.

That included "extra" training sessions and workouts, as well as video review of every game he played last season in an attempt to "learn something and see the mistakes, because when you're in the game, it's hard to find."

"I didn't see my family much," he added

Link

It's pretty obvious he's gone over tape because he's not falling into many of the same habits he'd display under Gallant and the latter part of Quinn's tenure. He's shooting with consistency, he's working incredibly hard down low and forcing turnovers, he's backchecking meaningfully, etc.

You can also see it by just looking at him but he added extra weight this summer.

Despite shedding some weight in hair, Panarin said he actually gained weight this offseason, during which he tried to lift more than usual in order to try something different with his routine.

Link

There's something to be said for the chemistry he's developed with Lafreniere and the consistency with which they've played together. It seemed like Panarin at least had a different right wing every few games, and then would always end up with Zibanejad for spurts as well. 

Laviolette has also put Panarin in situations that work to his benefit — Panarin has a team-high 82.69 Offensive Zone Start % this year compared to 50.77 last year. For comparison, Jimmy Vesey had 52.63 OZS last year and is at a team-low 13.16 this year. There's just a much clearer delineation of roles under Laviolette than under Gallant.

Panarin sounded excited about a system that he said "looks like Russian hockey," noting that Laviolette's preference for high cycles and drop passes to create space should play to his strengths.

"What he’s shown in the offensive zone, I really like it," Panarin said.

Link

There's also the fact that Laviolette's system plays into Panarin's strengths. Laviolette's system allows the Rangers to attack with numbers which was often a fault of Gallant's. Panarin isn't left curling to the boards without a trailer or someone he can wrap the puck around the far side to, he actually has options. This Rangers team actually knows how to provide support options because they've practiced it.

Panarin has done a ton of work to rejuvenate himself while Laviolette has done everything to help maximize Panarin's usage and contributions.

• Like 3
  • Bullseye 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • BREAD! 4

He’s been disgusting. I don’t know another word to use. Just disgusting. Obviously we have to hope he responds in the playoffs this year the same way he has thus far out of the gate. He seems to have taken last years ending personally, which is a good thing for us. Because having someone this good this motivated could be deadly. He’s playing better than he ever has, which is really saying something because he was crazy good back in his first year here.

55 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

To get back to Panarin, I don't think there's one particular change you can credit, but he has undoubtedly done a ton of work to rehabilitate himself. Nikita Zadorov mentioned in an interview this summer that Panarin has OCD and there were a number of reports that Panarin became a bit of a hockey shut-in during the offseason. 

Link

It's pretty obvious he's gone over tape because he's not falling into many of the same habits he'd display under Gallant and the latter part of Quinn's tenure. He's shooting with consistency, he's working incredibly hard down low and forcing turnovers, he's backchecking meaningfully, etc.

You can also see it by just looking at him but he added extra weight this summer.

Link

There's something to be said for the chemistry he's developed with Lafreniere and the consistency with which they've played together. It seemed like Panarin at least had a different right wing every few games, and then would always end up with Zibanejad for spurts as well. 

Laviolette has also put Panarin in situations that work to his benefit — Panarin has a team-high 82.69 Offensive Zone Start % this year compared to 50.77 last year. For comparison, Jimmy Vesey had 52.63 OZS last year and is at a team-low 13.16 this year. There's just a much clearer delineation of roles under Laviolette than under Gallant.

Link

There's also the fact that Laviolette's system plays into Panarin's strengths. Laviolette's system allows the Rangers to attack with numbers which was often a fault of Gallant's. Panarin isn't left curling to the boards without a trailer or someone he can wrap the puck around the far side to, he actually has options. This Rangers team actually knows how to provide support options because they've practiced it.

Panarin has done a ton of work to rejuvenate himself while Laviolette has done everything to help maximize Panarin's usage and contributions.

Coaching matters and there's no way around it. This team looks light years different on the ice, and they operate as if...:shocker: they have a :gasp: plan!

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Coaching matters and there's no way around it. This team looks light years different on the ice, and they operate as if...:shocker: they have a :gasp: plan!

Did you notice the change in the forecheck method in the NJ game?

It's like they watched the video of the Canes last season forechecking with 2 guys pressuring the Defense in deep.  They switched a couple of times to the 1-3-1, but they were predominantly getting 2 guys in there when they could to force that weak puck moving Jersey D.

Good shit on Lavvy!!!  Next time we play them, I expect it to be even better!

• Keeps it 100 1