• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS #9] Rangers at Winnipeg Jets — Shooting Down Jets

Drew a Penalty

5 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

They’re looking like a team that’s very invested in their system. Defense has improved so much, we aren’t bleeding chances every game. It almost reminds me of a similar structure to the Tortorella Rangers, where grinding out wins was the norm. The difference here is that this team can also push the pace offensively and can capitalize on Power Plays. They can play almost any way you want to play. And when all else fails, you have an elite goalie in net acting as a security blanket.

Very impressive start.

Agreed, but.... Maybe we have two "elite goalies", including Quick, with his  league leading SV% of .982 👋...

Their record of 7 - 2 in October had been a surprise for many, including members of this board. Especially after the game against Nashville at home, that had been the low point of the season so far.

I admit, I didn't expect them to come out of the gate like this.  I was expecting more like what we saw during the preseaon; Flubs and screw ups abound!

I give Laviolette a lot of credit, along with the coaching staff, but what's more is that the players themselves have bought in to the system, and are working at it.  I'm pleasantly surprised and very hopeful!

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1
  • Believe 1

I think it's a little early to be worried that much about the "only the power play" take.

The one thing that stands out more to me is that they have given up DICK for 2nd chances.  How many rebound chances has this team allowed over the first 9 games?  I bet it's very low.  Most of the time it's a one-and-done and Igor's got it, or it get kicked into the corner and we're headed up ice, and out of the zone.

That's the key for me:  Defend, and cover properly in our own zone, boxing guys out, with a proper breakout strategy.  It's amazing how easy we're getting out of our zone this year.  The rotational passing and use of going behind the net, using it as a shield has been very helpful.

Last night we had more NZ turnovers than we've had in past games, but I'm gonna let that slide because 5th game on the road, but we look solid defensively, and teams are not getting to rebounds and 2nd chances at all.

The power play?  Let's just be happy we have a great one!  It's like having a big watchdog in the yard.  It's "fuck around and find out", so teams won't be taking many liberties knowing it's curtains if they go to the box. 

Good weapon to have, I think.  The 5v5 will work itself out...I'm not even concerned about it.  AT ALL

• Bullseye 1
  • VINNY! 1

I think they respected Gallant as a person, but really didn't buy into what he was selling (which was nothing, basically). Here you have a more established and respected coach, with quality assistants who have already made a huge difference. (Michael Peca says hi) It's a great thing that they've bought in so quickly. Sure there are things to work on, but I just feel like a lot of the forwards really just haven't gotten going yet. Hopefully this is the start of Mika getting hot, but other than Panarin it's been kind of stark in the early stages. As long as they keep playing this soundly defensively and getting great goaltending, and the offense hasn't even gotten super hot yet? The sky is truly the limit for this squad.

The jury is still out on guys like Wheeler and Goodrow for me. Wheeler can still be helpful despite his age and lack of speed. Goodrow has basically done nothing, and just doesn't look like a fit here anymore. I expect him to be moved sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

1.  Kreider - Zibanejad - Kakko

1a. Panarin - Chytil - Lafreniere

3. Cuylle - Trocheck - Wheeler

4. Vesey - Bonino - Goodrow

There are big questions on every line at this point.  Obviously if Chytil scores a couple that question becomes less.

RW is still a big outlier in terms of overall performance.  Laffy is the best RW on the team right now and it's hard to escape the notion that this is primarily because he is playing with Panarin.

Kane is not the answer at RW because his hip may feel fine after rehab but the grind of the NHL is going to wear him down.  He is likely to be in pain again as soon as he starts really using it in competition.  This is why the players who have the hip trimming surgery never play for long after the surgery.

So we're going to be back at the deadline trading futures for another rental RW.  Maybe two.

Also, Panarin has been huge early on for the Rangers.  Without him we'd be lucky to be a .500 team right now.

5 minutes ago, Br4d said:

There are big questions on every line at this point.  Obviously if Chytil scores a couple that question becomes less.

RW is still a big outlier in terms of overall performance.  Laffy is the best RW on the team right now and it's hard to escape the notion that this is primarily because he is playing with Panarin.

Kane is not the answer at RW because his hip may feel fine after rehab but the grind of the NHL is going to wear him down.  He is likely to be in pain again as soon as he starts really using it in competition.  This is why the players who have the hip trimming surgery never play for long after the surgery.

So we're going to be back at the deadline trading futures for another rental RW.  Maybe two.

Also, Panarin has been huge early on for the Rangers.  Without him we'd be lucky to be a .500 team right now.

I agree about Kane, but I think that's probably the best route to for them at RW so they don't have to give up even more assets for the second or third consecutive year. Kane is just going to cost money.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I admit, I didn't expect them to come out of the gate like this.  I was expecting more like what we saw during the preseaon; Flubs and screw ups abound!

I give Laviolette a lot of credit, along with the coaching staff, but what's more is that the players themselves have bought in to the system, and are working at it.  I'm pleasantly surprised and very hopeful!

1000% agree... I was expecting .500 is thru about Thanksgiving and things to "take" starting in December. 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I agree about Kane, but I think that's probably the best route to for them at RW so they don't have to give up even more assets for the second or third consecutive year. Kane is just going to cost money.

2 guys have had this surgery.  One of them never played again and the other played 36 games and retired.

The two other guys who got the surgery alongside Kane this year are bad examples as one of them retired due to an eye injury that was existing at the time he had the surgery and the other is in the same recovery window as Kane.

All I'm saying is that if Kane comes back and plays well after the surgery he will be the first guy to do that and at 35 I wouldn't bet on his chances.

Edited by Br4d

1 minute ago, Br4d said:

2 guys have had this surgery.  One of them never played again and the other played 36 games and retired.

The two other guys who got the surgery alongside Kane this year are bad examples as one of them retired due to an eye injury that was existing at the time he had the surgery and the other is in the same recovery window as Kane.

All I'm saying is that if Kane comes back and plays well after the surgery he will be the first guy to do that and at 35 I wouldn't bet on his chances.

I know the chances are low, but I was just saying it might be the easier thing to do assuming what's available and if the Rangers don't want to empty the cupboards at the deadline yet again addressing this need. I think he signs, and if he sucks and/or retires soon afterwards, then so be it. But I think in their eyes, it might be worth the look since it's only going to cost money. 

• Phil unpinned this topic
3 hours ago, Br4d said:

How many hip resurfacing procedures have you had?

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I think it's a little early to be worried that much about the "only the power play" take.

The one thing that stands out more to me is that they have given up DICK for 2nd chances.  How many rebound chances has this team allowed over the first 9 games?  I bet it's very low.  Most of the time it's a one-and-done and Igor's got it, or it get kicked into the corner and we're headed up ice, and out of the zone.

That's the key for me:  Defend, and cover properly in our own zone, boxing guys out, with a proper breakout strategy.  It's amazing how easy we're getting out of our zone this year.  The rotational passing and use of going behind the net, using it as a shield has been very helpful.

Last night we had more NZ turnovers than we've had in past games, but I'm gonna let that slide because 5th game on the road, but we look solid defensively, and teams are not getting to rebounds and 2nd chances at all.

The power play?  Let's just be happy we have a great one!  It's like having a big watchdog in the yard.  It's "fuck around and find out", so teams won't be taking many liberties knowing it's curtains if they go to the box. 

Good weapon to have, I think.  The 5v5 will work itself out...I'm not even concerned about it.  AT ALL

its a repeat of last year so far.  Goaltending and PP.  Its a first round exit again because penalties arent called as often in the playoffs. This is a two trick pony team. So far I havent seen anything that's much different about this team.

2 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

This game shouldn’t have been so close with both Laf and Kakko missing on breakaways, Cuylle getting a prime opportunity stopped, and Hellebuyck preventing Zibanejad from a tap in. But I liked the resilience to keep playing and finally potting our chance on the PP

What about the Jets? they were on the ice too

3 hours ago, Br4d said:

this team should be called the New York Panarins. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

They didn't pressure us with as many high quality chances as we did to them, at least from what I saw. I don't have X to see Vally's report.

they had great chances too.  We blocked shots, they missed nets, had odd man rushes,  and as always Shesty made unbelievable saves.  It was a pretty even game.  The rangers had couple of breakaways and the jets had bunch of odd man rushes. 

5 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

they had great chances too.  We blocked shots, they missed nets, had odd man rushes,  and as always Shesty made unbelievable saves.  It was a pretty even game.  The rangers had couple of breakaways and the jets had bunch of odd man rushes. 

I think we had the better chances but overall I agree. We defended well and just didn't capitalize on our chances.

For the last game of a long trip, I thought they looked fine for the most part. They got down in the third and got up off the mat, got it tied to get one, and pulled it off in overtime to get the extra one. They kind of pulled this game and the Vancouver one out of their ass, but they battled through. You love to see it. They probably lose both of those games in regulation last year.

27 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

For the last game of a long trip, I thought they looked fine for the most part. They got down in the third and got up off the mat, got it tied to get one, and pulled it off in overtime to get the extra one. They kind of pulled this game and the Vancouver one out of their ass, but they battled through. You love to see it. They probably lose both of those games in regulation last year.

Thank heavens for regular season Panarin..lol

7 hours ago, Cr00zng said:

Agreed, but.... Maybe we have two "elite goalies", including Quick, with his  league leading SV% of .982 👋...

Their record of 7 - 2 in October had been a surprise for many, including members of this board. Especially after the game against Nashville at home, that had been the low point of the season so far.

Lord I hope thats the low point. That game was an abortion. It really tried my BP medication and the health of my liver