• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Team Looked Drastically Different Last Night in Lavy's System. What Did You See?

Shesty Cola

Several observations that could be very positive inidcators for future performance last night:

1. Laf had a strong game playing with Panarin
2. Trouba played outstanding with 8 blocks
3. 4th line was strong on backcheck with Goodrow and Bonino. Bonino really strong on face offs.
4. Miller was flying around last night and looked good on PP.
5. Really liked how Gustafson and Schneider played together
6. Really cut down on odd man rushes.
7. Panarin looked less ultra passive like he did in Gallant's system
8. East West game utilized much more effectively for scoring
9. We looked much harder to consistently defend as under Gallant's system
10. Neutral zone checking was excellent

5 minutes ago, Shesty Cola said:

Several observations that could be very positive inidcators for future performance last night:

3. 4th line was strong on backcheck with Goodrow and Bonino. Bonino really strong on face offs.

+1.

Looked like a different team. Lets get 5 games in and see where we are but your points were all the reasons why I couldn't peel myself away from the game last night. That was some damn exciting hockey.

Seeing Peca talking to guys on the bench was good to see also. An involved coaching staff is exciting stuff. Hopefully they continue this play.

• Keeps it 100 1

The 1-3-1 was really hard on the Sabres in center ice.  I was watching the Sabres feed and their announcers were all over it all night.  They said the weakness if there was one was the back defender playing a bit too deep and opening up space for an outside rush - so maybe still things to work on.

Lafreniere was on the move around the net all night.  He'd do a tight circle in the slot and then settle down in front.  All that work wouldn't have amounted to anything if Panarin didn't feed him a nice cross slot feed, which he buried.  There's something to be said for having a strong playmaker looking for you in front.  It's something he has been lacking for the most part his first 3 seasons.  No slight on Kakko but Kakko does not come out of the corner looking to feed the slot.  Chytil doesn't look to feed anybody - which is fine because you need guys who are shoot first from all angles too.

The defense was strong in transition and the 1-3-1 kept them from getting caught up ice and giving up odd-man rushes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shesty Cola said:

What did you think of Kaakos game last night?

He was noticeable between the blue lines in the 1-3-1.  He'd still benefit from snapping off that wrister from 45-50 feet more often.  

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Kakko needs to shoot...Exactly, @Br4d!!

I'm just pumping the brakes a little here.  It was a great display last night, but teams will watch this and scout this game.  The great thing is they have more than one forecheck system.  I saw a different "wing lock" in the first half of the game where they funneled the Sabres to a more well-covered part of the ice gagging any type of passing lane.  We also clogged those NZ passing lanes with more bodies, in closer to the puck carrier.  They couldn't get anything through.

Either way, it was a fabulous team effort.  I was really surprised to see how many shots we blocked.  I thought Gerardi was out there last night!!

Still, we have to keep our winkies in our Fruit of the looms for a bit....we have a long way to boogie, and like I said in the GDT, we're still FAR from a finished product.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Per naturalstattrick...

2022 first game of season against Tampa:

3-1 win

58.21 CF%

60.50 xGF%

Last night:

5-1 win

52.5 CF%

68 xGF%

Point being, it's one game. We're going to need a much larger sample size.

Indeed. Buffalo's team defense is not very good and definitely got exposed. Having said that, early impressions of the Rangers systems and play are still very good.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Kakko needs to shoot...Exactly, @Br4d!!

I'm just pumping the brakes a little here.  It was a great display last night, but teams will watch this and scout this game.  The great thing is they have more than one forecheck system.  I saw a different "wing lock" in the first half of the game where they funneled the Sabres to a more well-covered part of the ice gagging any type of passing lane.  We also clogged those NZ passing lanes with more bodies, in closer to the puck carrier.  They couldn't get anything through.

Either way, it was a fabulous team effort.  I was really surprised to see how many shots we blocked.  I thought Gerardi was out there last night!!

Still, we have to keep our winkies in our Fruit of the looms for a bit....we have a long way to boogie, and like I said in the GDT, we're still FAR from a finished product.

No doubt its just 1 game. And teams adjust very true. But what I loved seeing is those players looked like they were flowing so well together. That there was a sound system in place that the players beleived in and could excel in. Panarin even looked free out there lol not mentally consigned to deferring all the time.

Again just 1 game but it felt.....different and different in a good way.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Shesty Cola said:

What did you think of Kaakos game last night?

Maybe I was watching with some rose-colored glasses. But I just thought he looked very dangerous all game. Like on any shift, he was the most impactful player on the ice. Using his size and strength. 

He's not gonna get PP1 time, but I think he's looking like he can be the best player on that line (I know what I said)

I mean, it's just one game. I'm going to reserve judgement until we're at least 10 games into this. But one reassuring change was the team didn't seem to have this instant tendency to make a cross-ice pass as soon as they gained the blue line resulting in a rush the other day. 

32 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I do think Laf will take Trochek's PP1 spot soon. I think he fits really well with what they're asking Trocheck to do on that unit and he is showing a willingness to go to tough areas 

Yup I was mentioning this the other day when they showed Kakko in his place in practice. They had Kakko down at the doorstep with Kreider in an umbrella look, and that just seems like a spot more tailor made for Lafreniere. I mentioned Cuylle too, to get more size/strength down low instead.

6 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yup I was mentioning this the other day when they showed Kakko in his place in practice. They had Kakko down at the doorstep with Kreider in an umbrella look, and that just seems like a spot more tailor made for Lafreniere. I mentioned Cuylle too, to get more size/strength down low instead.

Cuylle should get the first crack because imagine having to deal with him and CK.

But I can see them wanting to give a Laf the opportunity. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Cuylle should get the first crack because imagine having to deal with him and CK.

Cuylle really is a great option. Get bodies in front…especially against top tier PKs and goalies where it’s simply too hard to score those tic tac toe goals even with movement. Sometimes you just need to keep it simple…bodies in front, pucks on net.

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Cuylle could work really well instead of Trochek.  Kid isn’t afraid to shoot when he has the shot to take and him and Kreider would give teams fits down low

• Keeps it 100 1

29 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

stop gap for Garand? I'm not upset if that's how it plays out.

The way I see it, if Igor goes down there isnt a goalie we could have reasonably acquired that changes the fasct we're fucked. 

Right. Yeah, could be. It just might be a quicker stop gap to Garand if he can't do it. lol Watch them bring Halak back or something. We'll see how it goes, I guess. 

5 hours ago, Shesty Cola said:

5 hours ago, Shesty Cola said:

Thought the rangers looked strong and balanced  

1 minute ago, RangersLEETCH said:

Thought the Rangers dominated throughout. I was expecting a tighter game glad I was wrong. The 1-3-1 zine worked extremely well against Buffalo. Rangers look completely different. Although it’s only 1 game I hope they will keep this type of persona throughout the year. Something tells me that last game in the playoffs is giving the Rangers a chip on heir shoulders. The rookie Cuyelle (hopefully I spelt his name right!) looked tough and seemed to be in the right place at the right time. Last year first game was against Tampa bay and the rangers won that game but I do not believe they skated as well as last nights first game. Just my observation. 

3 minutes ago, RangersLEETCH said:

This goes beyond one game where it's impossible to measure "what's different".

This entire camp has been different. Much more up tempo and competitive. Lots of blowing the play dead to teach. 

Forget what's on the ice, I saw Peca in Panarin ear, in Kakko ear, in Cuylle ear. All game. 

Speaking of Cuylle, when was the last time a rookie pushed a vet out of a spot in camp? GG would have wanted Brodzinski. And they didn't rush Othmann. 

Everything about this team off ice dynamic is different than the last two years. I believe we will see it reflected in on ice product. 

Edited by Pete
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

This goes beyond one game where it's impossible to measure "what's different".

This entire camp has been different. Much more up tempo and competitive. Lots of blowing the play dead to teach. 

Forget what's on the ice, I saw Peca in Panarin ear, in Kakko ear, in Cuylle ear. All game. 

Speaking of Cuylle, when was the last time a rookie pushed a vet out of a spot in camp? GG would have wanted Brodzinski. And they didn't rush Othmann. 

Everything about this team off ice dynamic is different than the last two years. I believe we will see it reflected in on ice product. 

Othmann potted two last night in Providence. If he keeps that up he may force tough decisions sooner rather than later.

• JIMMY! 1
  • Believe 1