• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Team Looked Drastically Different Last Night in Lavy's System. What Did You See?

Shesty Cola

1 hour ago, Pete said:

This goes beyond one game where it's impossible to measure "what's different".

This entire camp has been different. Much more up tempo and competitive. Lots of blowing the play dead to teach. 

Forget what's on the ice, I saw Peca in Panarin ear, in Kakko ear, in Cuylle ear. All game. 

Speaking of Cuylle, when was the last time a rookie pushed a vet out of a spot in camp? GG would have wanted Brodzinski. And they didn't rush Othmann. 

Everything about this team off ice dynamic is different than the last two years. I believe we will see it reflected in on ice product. 

Exactly what this team needed, and now we have a good coaching foundation.  I gotta admit it was kinda cool to see the coaches getting in the ears of the players, but what was more encouraging was the look on the player's faces buying into what was being told to them.

I saw Wheeler at one point when, I think it was Peca telling him something, he was motioning with his finger on the tablet before the camera jumped back to the action. 

Gold!  Now we just have to be patient and let this thing come together.  I have no doubt it will.  This team has plenty of hockey IQ, and talent to absorb whet's being taught.

But yeah, good call Pete!

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Exactly what this team needed, and now we have a good coaching foundation.  I gotta admit it was kinda cool to see the coaches getting in the ears of the players, but what was more encouraging was the look on the player's faces buying into what was being told to them.

I saw Wheeler at one point when, I think it was Peca telling him something, he was motioning with his finger on the tablet before the camera jumped back to the action. 

Gold!  Now we just have to be patient and let this thing come together.  I have no doubt it will.  This team has plenty of hockey IQ, and talent to absorb whet's being taught.

But yeah, good call Pete!

Coaching and system is a critical aspect of almost any sport. Rarely do you see a team with great talent but poor Coaching win a championship. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

This goes beyond one game where it's impossible to measure "what's different".

This entire camp has been different. Much more up tempo and competitive. Lots of blowing the play dead to teach. 

Forget what's on the ice, I saw Peca in Panarin ear, in Kakko ear, in Cuylle ear. All game. 

Speaking of Cuylle, when was the last time a rookie pushed a vet out of a spot in camp? GG would have wanted Brodzinski. And they didn't rush Othmann. 

Everything about this team off ice dynamic is different than the last two years. I believe we will see it reflected in on ice product. 

Post of the thread. Bravo.

• Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Imagine at least one of Kaako or Laffy FINALLY start playing like a top of the entire draft player. And then Othmann comes up 2nd half of year and becomes an above average player in the bottom six.

Team would be absolutely loaded. Really nice mix of vets and youth.

• 5 weeks later...

So a few things are standing out for me. 

1. This team starts on time. They are prepared and engaged from the drop of the puck. No longer do they start games listless and meandering.

2. They don't panic. They play their game even when they're down. They don't lose their way.

3. They don't give up. We've seen them wave the white flag before. They're not doing it now. 

Three things that weren't true last year. 

• Thanks 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • The Chyt! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

On 10/13/2023 at 3:22 PM, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

stop gap for Garand? I'm not upset if that's how it plays out.

The way I see it, if Igor goes down there isnt a goalie we could have reasonably acquired that changes the fasct we're fucked. 

Just revisiting this earlier take of mine in case anyone thought I sort of knew what the fuck I was talking about

• LMFAO 3

8 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Just revisiting this earlier take of mine in case anyone thought I sort of knew what the fuck I was talking about

Make no mistake, BBB.  We're going to need Igor in there when the chips are down!  But for the next few games or so, Quickie and Porky are doing very well!

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

1. This team starts on time. They are prepared and engaged from the drop of the puck. No longer do they start games listless and meandering.

2. They don't panic. They play their game even when they're down. They don't lose their way.

3. They don't give up. We've seen them wave the white flag before. They're not doing it now. 

Since you did the glass is half full, Pete.....I'll do the glass is half empty part  😉  (I usually have the rose colored glasses on, but I'll roll the counter point side on things that we can work on the rest of the season:

1. We still do that Alley-oop shit to clear the zone when we get running around.

2. We're still making  a few too many self inflicted turnovers at our blue line and NZ, that feed the opposition's transition game.

3. Some players are still going east to west a little too much, instead of getting shots to the net.  They need to shoot more from prime areas.

Other than that, I think we've been really good, especially playing down 3 of our best players for the past 2 weeks!

• Thanks 1

At no point do you think this team is out of a game. They believe they can win and are racking up points in games that otherwise might be losses in previous seasons. I actually believe in No Quit in NY right now, last night's game was a good testament to it. 

• VINNY! 1

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Since you did the glass is half full, Pete.....I'll do the glass is half empty part  😉  (I usually have the rose colored glasses on, but I'll roll the counter point side on things that we can work on the rest of the season:

1. We still do that Alley-oop shit to clear the zone when we get running around.

2. We're still making  a few too many self inflicted turnovers at our blue line and NZ, that feed the opposition's transition game.

3. Some players are still going east to west a little too much, instead of getting shots to the net.  They need to shoot more from prime areas.

Other than that, I think we've been really good, especially playing down 3 of our best players for the past 2 weeks!

There are still a bunch of defensive blunders night in and night out. And as long as Trouba goes for big hits and as long as Zac Jones is getting ice time, this will remain true. 

Our backup and 3rd string G are putting up amazing numbers while our All-Star G is injured. Tighter D? Yeah, I want it, but when Jonathan Quick and Louis Domingue are straight up getting you points in the standings, I won't complain much. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, phillyb said:

At no point do you think this team is out of a game. They believe they can win and are racking up points in games that otherwise might be losses in previous seasons. I actually believe in No Quit in NY right now, last night's game was a good testament to it. 

Last nights game was shaking up to be like the first time we played Columbus and lost. Just a weird shit game. The one that you'd leave thinking, 'oh well fuck it its a random game in early november, last game before a layoff. Even the best teams lose a few fucked up ones across a long season' but Lafreniere said SMD 

• Keeps it 100 1

25 minutes ago, Pete said:

Agreed.

The one issue I still see, which I think a lot of teams deal with and isn’t just Ranger related, is that they do tend to take a period off every game. And Laviolette has said this too, and it definitely needs to be addressed. Last year, a lot of the time they put themselves behind the 8 ball early by getting down a goal. It was happening a lot during their rough stretch in November/December. They’ve had a few 2nd periods that are somewhat forgettable. But again, most teams are struggling with consistency across 60 minutes. But yeah, with all of that being said, this team is rolling. They’re not just relying on their talent or their PP or their goaltending. All of those are big pieces, don’t get me wrong. But it’s not just Igor and pray for rain, or Power Plays and pray for rain. Those are strong pieces but just the fact that everything seems to be coming together with structure is such a good sign. They’re building something special.

5v5

2021-22 : 28th xGF/60, 20th xGA/60, 24th xGF%, 20th HDCF/60, 24th HDCA/60, 21st HDCF%

2022-23: 22nd xGF/60, 17th xGA/60, 22nd xGF%, 19th HDCF/60, 22nd HDCA/60, 21st HDCF%

2023-24: 29th xGF/60, 4th xGA/60, 21st xGF%, 31st HDCF/60, 9th HDCA/60, 20th HDCF%

Lavi has clearly tightened up offensive opportunity in exchange for limiting chances against, and that's a really smart trade off for a team that still relies almost exclusively on the PP to score. Their PP% at 33% is likely unsustainable. The expected goal and high danger chance share is a ways off from the top dogs in the league, and that absolutely has to improve or the team is still a PP slump away from losing games, and playoff series. They'll just lose those games 2-1 instead of 3-1. Improvement, but the record is a bit of a facade right now with next to zero generation of 5v5 chances.

16 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Yea, most of what I'm talking about is the attitude they play with.

There are a number of soft areas that need addressing. 5v5 offense is still a big problem. Of that doesn't get addressed then they won't be going too far. It's really one of the only deficiency they have shown, but it's huge and needs fixing.

Other things like defense off the rush are much better, they are much more careful with the puck, they spend less time in the NZ which all bode well.

They simply must score at 5v5 though. 

• VINNY! 1

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

5v5

2021-22 : 28th xGF/60, 20th xGA/60, 24th xGF%, 20th HDCF/60, 24th HDCA/60, 21st HDCF%

2022-23: 22nd xGF/60, 17th xGA/60, 22nd xGF%, 19th HDCF/60, 22nd HDCA/60, 21st HDCF%

2023-24: 29th xGF/60, 4th xGA/60, 21st xGF%, 31st HDCF/60, 9th HDCA/60, 20th HDCF%

Lavi has clearly tightened up offensive opportunity in exchange for limiting chances against, and that's a really smart trade off for a team that still relies almost exclusively on the PP to score. Their PP% at 33% is likely unsustainable. The expected goal and high danger chance share is a ways off from the top dogs in the league, and that absolutely has to improve or the team is still a PP slump away from losing games, and playoff series. They'll just lose those games 2-1 instead of 3-1. Improvement, but the record is a bit of a facade right now with next to zero generation of 5v5 chances.

Maybe, maybe not. I think more consideration needs to be given to a team like the Rangers with a highly-skilled PP that can score in a variety of ways. It's not as simple as assuming a regression to the mean.

I agree on tightening up 5v5, but they basically only have one line going right now. I have faith in Zib turning it around. 

• Bullseye 1

6 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Last nights game was shaking up to be like the first time we played Columbus and lost. Just a weird shit game. The one that you'd leave thinking, 'oh well fuck it its a random game in early november, last game before a layoff. Even the best teams lose a few fucked up ones across a long season' but Lafreniere said SMD 

I know we don’t want to blame the Ref when we lose, but last night’s calls and non-calls were truly horseshit. Bad officiating CAN influence to outcome and last night? It almost did. 

We are finally seeing a new identity play before our eyes. Team has bought in 110%. Execution gaffs will happen. (That was a damn good third period and scoring with about 5 seconds left? Absolute craziness. Props to LAF for the ballsy backhander to win.)

2 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Maybe, maybe not. I think more consideration needs to be given to a team like the Rangers with a highly-skilled PP that can score in a variety of ways. It's not as simple as assuming a regression to the mean.

I agree on tightening up 5v5, but they basically only have one line going right now. I have faith in Zib turning it around. 

Agree. It's much more likely that their 5v5 offense gets 2x better than the PP get 4x worse. (Numbers just made up to illustrate the point... They are likely to get a bit better 5v5 but not much worse on PP. It's at 33%, not 43%. 

6 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

The Oilers set the all time record last year at 32.4%. The question isn't really if the Rangers PP numbers will regress. It's more a matter of how much it will regress. High 20s is possible, but tough to do. In the last 10 years, 4 teams have achieved 27% or higher (3x Oilers, '18 Tampa, '21 Leafs, '21 Blues).

They can always prove me wrong and set the record though. I'd be ok with that.

7 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

The Oilers set the all time record last year at 32.4%. The question isn't really if the Rangers PP numbers will regress. It's more a matter of how much it will regress. High 20s is possible, but tough to do. In the last 10 years, 4 teams have achieved 27% or higher (3x Oilers, '18 Tampa, '21 Leafs, '21 Blues).

They can always prove me wrong and set the record though. I'd be ok with that.

I happen to think it'll only get better 🙂

• CK20! 1
  • Believe 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

5v5

These are good stats because they indicate that the room for improvement here is something that is well within the wheelhouse of a very good roster to make, which is 5v5 offense. In our winning streak to start the season, we've relied on powerplay for scoring but we're also giving up basically nothing in front of our net. The 5v5 and Power Play scoring almost has to balance out due to statistics, but our team defense doesn't and that is what is really winning games, last night aside.