• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lafrenière Re-Re-Reset: 2023–24 Edition

RichieNextel305

I would be ok with anything under 8M per season.   He hasn't reached the 10M per season yet in my opinion.  If I was him I wouldn't sign for 8 years.  I would increase my value a bit more first before signing long term.

Why? He's in a fantastic position with a team who could win the Cup this year and he's set to make a massive amount of guaranteed money. Unless he wants to get to free agency as quickly as possible, I don't see any reason not to go the full 8 years here for both sides.

• Keeps it 100 1

We heard incessantly about how we got 1OA a year too late (Lafreniere instead of Hughes), and I won’t pretend I hadn’t thought that before myself, so I’m just gonna go ahead and say it.

Jack Hughes might always be the more naturally gifted player with that coveted speed, but Lafreniere might always be the better, winning hockey player.

• JIMMY! 1
  • ALEXIS! 1
  • Believe 1

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Why? He's in a fantastic position with a team who could win the Cup this year and he's set to make a massive amount of guaranteed money. Unless he wants to get to free agency as quickly as possible, I don't see any reason not to go the full 8 years here for both sides.

For the Rangers it makes sense to go 8 years, but if he signs for 2-3 years he sets himself up for a much bigger contact down the road.  

• Bullseye 1

Just now, RJWantsTheCup said:

For the Rangers it makes sense to go 8 years, but if he signs for 2-3 years he sets himself up for a much bigger contact down the road.  

A lot of players like to cash in on a big 8 year “take me to retirement” deal around 29-30. An 8 year extension would take him to 31, at which time he might be looking at 4-6 year offers instead.

I’d bet they’ll settle on 5-6 years at $6-7M, which takes him to 28-29, but the Rangers should still try for that 8 year extension and hope sweetening the AAV by 1-2m is good enough.

• ALEXIS! 1

Laf had a reputation as being a gamer when it mattered. That's what made his skillset so attractive going into the draft. He could dazzle with fancy plays, or crash the net for dirty goals, or lay hits on an aggressive forecheck, etc. 

He just needed to be put in a position to succeed. Bedard was great but didn't quite reach expectations. I doubt Celebrini cracks 50 points in his rookie season. Talented players can only go so far on talent alone without help. Playing with Panarin and Trocheck has unlocked his confidence and has given him the time and space to operate. He's not even the biggest threat on that line and that's saying something. 

I had a feeling after his regular season finish that we'd be talking about him in the playoffs. He's a fierce competitor and elevates his game when it matters most. He's future captain material. 

This is also why I still won't give up on Kakko. Big forwards take longer to develop generally. I've seen way too many 1,000+ point careers really take off at 26-27 years old to write him off. Kreider reinvented himself when he hit his 30s. The talent is there, he just needs the confidence, and having another skill player like Chytil will go a long way with that. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

He sets himself up for more money than he can ever spend in a lifetime regardless. He's 22. An eight-year deal takes him to age 30. You don't think he's signing another significant deal then?

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

He sets himself up for more money than he can ever spend in a lifetime regardless. He's 22. An eight-year deal takes him to age 30. You don't think he's signing another significant deal then?

Depends on how he's playing at 30.

A 3 year deal takes him to 25 which should be the height of his career.  Probably gets 12M+ at that point for 8 years.

I'd bet 7.5/ 6 years. Gives him more than the mil per 10 point average and let's him still hit FA in his 20's most certainly guaranteeing a HUGE payday for the next contract pending this trajectory continues.

He has another year left on his current bridge contract and his birthday is in October. Next year is his age 23 season. His next contract won’t start until his age 24 season. An 8 year deal when it expires puts him at 31 years old as a UFA going on his age 32 season.

• Like 1

Cap is going up.

If I'm Laf I look for 4 years at $8M right now and then go back to the bargaining table at 27.  He's going to be one of the highest paid players at some point.

8 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Maybe if we sweeten the package.  Every player is tradeable for the right price.  

I was thinking Edmonton should sweeten the package.  🙂