• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Peter Laviolette Need to do Right by Alexis Lafreniere to Reap Benefits

Phil

If the Rangers have to assume responsibility for this, Lafreniere — who will turn 22 the day before the Oct. 12 opener in Buffalo — has to take ownership of his career.

That means whether he is on the right or left side. That means whether he starts the season as a top-six winger or begins again on the third unit. Me? I’m moving No. 13 to the right because, I’m sorry (no I’m not in the least), I am not demoting Kreider — the NHL’s seventh-leading goal-scorer over the last two years — to the third line.

Lafreniere played three games on the right in his rookie season under David Quinn, then 32 games on his off-wing the last two seasons under Gerard Gallant, all but one of them with either Kreider and Mika Zibanejad or Panarin and Vincent Trocheck as his linemates.

Now it will be incoming coach Peter Laviolette’s responsibility to get the best out of Lafreniere in this show-me season that begins with training camp in just over two weeks. There is going to be external pressure to award Lafreniere a top-six spot whether he earns it or not. In order to find an example of the Rangers doing that, you’d have to go all the way back to … last year when the club gifted Vitali Kravtsov a top-six spot even though he hadn’t done a lick to earn it.

There is no reason not to reunite the Kreider-Zibanejad-Kakko combination that played the first 13 games last season and then six during the middle of the year while posting impressive numbers across the board. Indeed, the triumvirate had a 58.7 Corsi rating, a 58.4 shot share, a 62.5 goals-for pct., a 59.18 xGF ratio, and a scoring chance rate of 58.5.

I’m shifting Lafreniere to the right to skate with Panarin on the left and either Chytil or Trocheck in the middle on the second line. It is likely time to give Chytil an extended look with Panarin, but the worry there is on the defensive end, certainly with Lafreniere trying to adapt to the wrong — that’s right — side.

https://nypost.com/2023/09/05/rangers-peter-laviolette-need-to-do-right-by-alexis-lafreniere/

• ALEXIS! 1

35 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Kid owns his own destiny no matter where he lines up. Make it or break it year for him or he very well may end up on the chopping block.

Have a feeling if he isn't performing around the new year he's a goner and they'll use his salary to try and sign Kane for the remainder of the year.

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

Moving Lafreniere out of his natural position isn’t doing right by Lafreniere to reap benefits.

It might. It depends on if playing his off side will limit him more than the benefits of playing in the top-six with the team's more talented players (plus PP, I presume).

I was going to lambast the idea, but I think I had said this months ago. It opens a door for Cuylle or Othmann during camp as the 3rd line LW becomes partially open depending on where Goodrow and Vesey fit and on what wing. 

Just not into gifting him another opportunity.  Forcing it on the new coach is also a shitty thing to do, which is why I'm not buying it.

Laviolette isn't going to be pressured by "external pressure". Such a premise would have been on the table during negotiations and I can't see Laviolette agreeing to be told what he can and can't do. Id assume he's here for exactly the opposite.  To weed out the weak. To hand pick what works for him. 

Larry Brooks STINKS. His burner account should be banned. 

• LMFAO 1

14 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Moving Lafreniere out of his natural position isn’t doing right by Lafreniere to reap benefits.

My guy you have suggested moving far more successful players out of their natural positions to accommodate Lafreniere.

Here's a thought... Maybe he'll be more successful on the right wing? 

#1 overall pick buried on the third line for 3 seasons and then shifted to his offwing to get into the top 6.

Only the Rangers...

19 even strength goals his second season and even that just bought him a ticket to the 3rd line, playing with two other guys who were struggling early on despite obvious talent.

Again, only the Rangers...

You get what you pay for.

BTW, when he is off the Rangers I promise you will never hear another word about him from me.  He won't be a Ranger and I just have no time for non-Rangers.  I'm willing to bet he'll be a topic of conversation for most of the rest on the board for a decade or more.

Edited by Br4d

24 minutes ago, Br4d said:

#1 overall pick buried on the third line for 3 seasons and then shifted to his offwing to get into the top 6.

Only the Rangers...

19 even strength goals his second season and even that just bought him a ticket to the 3rd line, playing with two other guys who were struggling early on despite obvious talent.

Again, only the Rangers...

You get what you pay for.

BTW, when he is off the Rangers I promise you will never hear another word about him from me.  He won't be a Ranger and I just have no time for non-Rangers.  I'm willing to bet he'll be a topic of conversation for most of the rest on the board for a decade or more.

Tyler Seguin, #2 overall, shifted from center to right wing on the Bruins third line. Developed. Won a cup.

The problem I have with unloading our 21 year old (today) #1OA is Kreids is 32, Bread 31, so his top 6 left side is coming.  This year with a real coach maybe he can get productive on the right side.  It could be Kreider who is moved to a contender this year if the Rangers flop. 

Edited by mbob
  • Applause 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

My guy you have suggested moving far more successful players out of their natural positions to accommodate Lafreniere.

Here's a thought... Maybe he'll be more successful on the right wing? 

Not to accommodate Lafreniere. That was a side effect. It was suggested to potentially make the team deeper and better at a position that's been dog shit since Drury errantly gave Buch away. There's 82 games in a season, and it baffles me that a vet can't be asked to go play 10 games on their off wing to see how it works out. They can try moving Lafreniere over again if they want, but I see that as an admission that they are unwilling to actually sacrifice anything, which is kind of a mandatory step when saying "do right by him".

Line numbers are a faux thing anyway for this team. The ES TOI distribution says the Rangers don't even have a 3rd line. They had a 1st line (Panarin/Trocheck) and Zib/Chytil lines got an even split. The main difference will continue to be special teams time. I still want Lafreniere slotted with Chytil and Kakko, and I don't care what line number anyone wants to attach to them.

Why not move Panarin to RW? Hes shown strong ability to adapt to wherever he's stationed on the pp. The guy is super confident and creative (when he shows up) and i have no doubt hell adapt and produce at RW....laff...not so much

Edited by Jdog99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Line numbers are a faux thing anyway for this team. The ES TOI distribution says the Rangers don't even have a 3rd line. They had a 1st line (Panarin/Trocheck) and Zib/Chytil lines got an even split. The main difference will continue to be special teams time. I still want Lafreniere slotted with Chytil and Kakko, and I don't care what line number anyone wants to attach to them.

Lafreniere and Kakko don't really seem to be suited well based on play styles.   One is an open ice floater and the other is a corner digger.

I checked on how often they collaborated on goals last year and it was about a half dozen times each that one assisted the other on a goal.  Seems like less often than you'd think for a pair that played together as often as they did and had 31 even strength goals.

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

Of course it matters.  If had been successfully shifted to LW it would be the equivalent of moving Lafreniere to RW.

Playing center is nothing like wing. It's a whole different set of responsibilities in your own zone. Much more difficult than switching sides.

Serious question, have you played any organized hockey? 

1 hour ago, Jdog99 said:

Why not move Panarin to RW? Hes shown strong ability to adapt to wherever he's stationed on the pp. The guy is super confident and creative (when he shows up) and i have no doubt hell adapt and produce at RW....laff...not so much

Because you don't move the best forward on the team to accommodate the worst? 

• Bullseye 1
  • ALEXIS! 1

35 minutes ago, Pete said:

Playing center is nothing like wing. It's a whole different set of responsibilities in your own zone. Much more difficult than switching sides.

Serious question, have you played any organized hockey? 

Have you ever GM'd or coached a professional hockey team?

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

Lafreniere and Kakko don't really seem to be suited well based on play styles.   One is an open ice floater and the other is a corner digger.

I checked on how often they collaborated on goals last year and it was about a half dozen times each that one assisted the other on a goal.  Seems like less often than you'd think for a pair that played together as often as they did and had 31 even strength goals.

I’m not sure I agree with your descriptions of Lafreniere or Kakko.

Do you have the numbers for Laf/Chytil, Chytil/Kakko?

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

Have you ever GM'd or coached a professional hockey team?

Well I think the difference is we all know that none of us have ever done that.

However, with your propensity to state all your opinions as fact, it was hard to tell. So I'll take that as no you've never played organized hockey so no you don't know anything about switching positions and or the challenges that may be associated with it. 

7 hours ago, mbob said:

The problem I have with unloading our 21 year old (today) #1OA is Kreids is 32, Bread 31, so his top 6 left side is coming.  This year with a real coach maybe he can get productive on the right side.  It could be Kreider who is moved to a contender this year if the Rangers flop. 

can't argue the age of Kreids or Bread obviously, however unless Laf shows a whole lot more than he has to date I don't necessarily believe his time is coming unless we're looking at a handout. IF he earns it, fantastic. I don't see Kreider being moved this year or ever honestly his deal is one of great value. I especially don't see it being done to clear a path for Laf. I would bet Kreider retires a Ranger while 10A is long gone and does not.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Because you don't move the best forward on the team to accommodate the worst? 

Forget that.

Lets speculate that Panarin will put up 80 pts at RW vs 95 at LW.

And that Laff puts up 60 at LW vs 40 at RW.

You'd be up 5 pts + laff actually materializing into something and more to come.

My assumption is that Panarin just has the talent and confidence to be more productive on his off wing.

Edited by Jdog99