• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Hire Christain Hmura as Skills and Performance Development Coach; Replacing Mark Ciaccio

Phil

2 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

They don't have to paint with such a broad brush.....It should read....

"NY Rangers hire personal coach for Alexis Lafreniere, in hopes that the number one overall pick can be salvaged"

They should have done this two years ago.

18 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

They don't have to paint with such a broad brush.....It should read....

"NY Rangers hire personal coach for Alexis Lafreniere, in hopes that the number one overall pick can be salvaged"

Boom. They are basically catering to his needs almost with these new coaches they have brought in. They're like, "OK, this is it, Laf."

The more I think about this....the more I get annoyed that they prioritized winning a championship as opposed to bringing in these coaches when they got both a #2 and #1 OA. Priorities may have been extremely short sighted. Let's hope this can be salvaged.

8 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

The more I think about this....the more I get annoyed that they prioritized winning a championship as opposed to bringing in these coaches when they got both a #2 and #1 OA. Priorities may have been extremely short sighted. Let's hope this can be salvaged.

The priority of an NHL team is to win. 

• Bullseye 1

59 minutes ago, Pete said:

The priority of an NHL team is to win. 

I understand that but developing talent doesn't have to fall off the charts. It was all in for a year or two with two struggling top prospects. A two way approach may have worked better. Im just an armchair quarterback but it seems Drury may have some remorse because the priorities have totally shifted this season or at least it seems with the coaching hires.

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

I understand that but developing talent doesn't have to fall off the charts. It was all in for a year or two with two struggling top prospects. A two way approach may have worked better. Im just an armchair quarterback but it seems Drury may have some remorse because the priorities have totally shifted this season or at least it seems with the coaching hires.

In a perfect world the right move would have been starting the kids in the AHL. That option wasn't available for a number of reasons. But that doesn't mean they should focus their attention on developing kids when they have mature star players in their primes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pete said:

In a perfect world the right move would have been starting the kids in the AHL. That option wasn't available for a number of reasons. But that doesn't mean they should focus their attention on developing kids when they have mature star players in their primes. 

The AHL is underutilized when it comes to the very top prospects. It’s as though there’s a stigma involved in putting these guys in the minors if they’re drafted in the top-5 to 10. And it’s foolish. So many of the guys who start there and get to play there for even 1/2 a season benefit and have real success from it. There are numerous examples.

They need to change the rules on that. 

• Keeps it 100 1

25 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

It doesn't have anything to do with what the Rangers did or didn't do.  Neither one could skate well enough to be effective when they got here.  Kakko will be fine.  Laf still needs to improve.  You put Stutzle or Hughes in Laf or Kakko's place and were not having this discussion because they can skate.

You don’t think either of them benefits from being in the AHL, playing big minutes there which they would have, and getting what amounts to coaching geared specifically towards development and improvement?

Just asking.

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

You don’t think either of them benefits from being in the AHL, playing big minutes there which they would have, and getting what amounts to coaching geared specifically towards development and improvement?

Just asking.

Laf couldn't go to the AHL and sending him back to junior would have made him even more of a loafer.

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

Laf couldn't go to the AHL and sending him back to junior would have made him even more of a loafer.

The worst thing the stupid ass QMJHL did was have a season during Covid. Cuylle got to benefit from an exception that should’ve been extended to Laf. 

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

I agree.

The league does itself, and these kids that get drafted high at aged 17-19, an injustice. They should be able to get paid their money as they do, and be able to play professional hockey at the minor league level by going to the A, and play there. 
It’s stupid that there are restrictions there.

Many players would benefit. 
The US collegiate players are allowed. They almost universally benefit. 
And honestly, it would help the AHL too.

In basically every market that it’s in, league wide.

The A gets put upon and it’s totally misplaced to do that to those teams. It’s not drawing money or viewers anywhere near enough to hurt the NHL’s revenue. 

And it wouldn’t if it even drew what it could and should. I’m saying that the AHL could be a moneymaking thing, which by in large, it’s not, by allowing the next stars to play 1/2 a season at least in the A off the rip, and that it would help so many teams and be good in so many markets.

And it wouldn’t hurt US College programs or the CHL either. 

It’s actually a missed opportunity. For everyone.

It would seriously help star to turn profits in those AHL markets, and all parties benefit.

Edited by RangersIn7
  • Like 1

Well do please understand that the NHL isn’t close to its next expansion yet.

Im just saying eventually it will and there’s some AHL markets amongst other places like the GTA and Quebec City that are good candidates.

I like those places, Milwaukee, Houston,  and several others.
Lots of places are potentially viable in 10+ years when they get there again.