• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Penguins Acquire Erik Karlsson From Sharks in 3-team Deal

• RichieNextel305 changed the title to Penguins Acquire Erik Karlsson From Sharks in 3-team Deal

This feels like such a late-90s, early-00s Ranger trade. Not knocking Karlsson, he’s still good. But Pittsburgh needs depth. They are so top heavy and this does nothing to fix that. And obviously, some of these engines are going to slow down considerably as they age, even more than they already have. I still don’t see Pittsburgh better than CAR/NJ/NYR in the Metro, and will have a lot of competition for the WC slots. And they really do not have many kicks at the can left in them.

• Keeps it 100 1

As much as this trade looks weird to me, EK did just win the Norris trophy on a terrible team. Maybe he’s just a lot better than anyone gives him credit for. I certainly don’t want to play against the penguins with him and letang back there.

agree with the general sentiment that this looks pretty even  

9 minutes ago, Keirik said:

A team with Letang doesn't need Karlsson at all. Such a weird trade. Nevermind the fact that they have Crosby and Malkin. 

I agree.

Better to make a deal or two and improve depth, which in the Crosby/Malkin/Letang years, when they’ve had that, they’ve been crazy dangerous, and very hard to handle because the lower portion of the lineup got matchups to exploit.

As EK about the ECF in 17.

This would have made more sense if Letang had retired. But having them both there doesn’t make sense. Especially when you consider, as I and others have said, that this teams issues lie with their lack of depth and their subpar goaltending.

Edited by RichieNextel305

14 hours ago, Keirik said:

A team with Letang doesn't need Karlsson at all. Such a weird trade. Nevermind the fact that they have Crosby and Malkin. 

You think so? Letang is 36 and clearly on the downside. He still has some value as a second pairing guy, but he’s not an impact player anymore. Karlsson just netted 100 points.

Edited by BrooksBurner

15 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

You think so? Letang is 36 and clearly on the downside. He still has some value as a second pairing guy, but he’s not an impact player anymore. Karlsson just netted 100 points.

100%

Letang proved last season he can't QB a PP1 anymore. So he'll drop down to PP2 and they'll just give Karlsson free reign.

• Like 1

This won't be a fun team to play against.

Karlsson or Letang on the ice for 50 minutes a game?

Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Smith, Rakell, and Rust in the top 6? Acciari and Eller and Nieto in depth roles.

Father Time will take this team down to hell sooner or later, but for at least one or two seasons, this ain't gonna be fun.

14 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Karlsson or Letang on the ice for 50 minutes a game?

This doesn't scare me. They are both terrible defensively and they have weak goaltending.

Edited by Pete

1 minute ago, Phil said:

They're older than dirt, but they're 100% equipped to outscore their defensive and goal tending problems.

The mistakes will be glaring and plentiful, but the idea of trying to get the puck away from a Guentzel-Crosby-Rust-Karlsson-Graves or a Rakell-Malkin-Smith-Letang-Pettersson - yikes. Possession monsters. 

Again - age will get this team sooner or later - probably sooner than later - but for at least this year and maybe next, they're gonna be a challenge.