• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Penguins Acquire Erik Karlsson From Sharks in 3-team Deal

Just now, Phil said:

They're older than dirt, but they're 100% equipped to outscore their defensive and goal tending problems.

This. They apply the “best defense is a good offense” strategy, and the offense wasn’t good enough last year. A lot of that was terrible defensemen. Karlsson helps change that dynamic a lot. The potential to restore the once deadly PP that became average is there too.

9 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

This. They apply the “best defense is a good offense” strategy, and the offense wasn’t good enough last year. A lot of that was terrible defensemen. Karlsson helps change that dynamic a lot. The potential to restore the once deadly PP that became average is there too.

Yup. If they have to win 7-6, so be it.

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

You think so? Letang is 36 and clearly on the downside. He still has some value as a second pairing guy, but he’s not an impact player anymore. Karlsson just netted 100 points.

There’s no doubt that EK is miles better than LeTang is right now but I’m not sure a pp1  that already has Crosby, Malkin, and Guentzel need a qb that HAS to drive the play to be successful. We saw it here. Too many cooks in the kitchen kinda thing. 

• Like 1

I'd say SJ wins the trade. They get out of that contract without huge retention and they get back a handful of players and a 1st. 

Hoffman is decent when healthy,  Rutta is (I guess) a stable,  stay at home vet. Granlund is a depth forward that kills penalties. 

SJs goal likely wasn't for a hefty return for a guy they shouldn't have signed to begin with. Getting Karlsson off the books is the win in this situation. That team was going nowhere with him. 

With all the Panarin haters around here, this is the type of return you should expect when your goal is to just get rid of the cap hit. 

I don't understand the move for the Penguins.  I don't see the fit. Dubas is showing once again, that he can't build a balanced hockey team.

His desire to put all this soft skill into yet another team, after his shit show in Toronto, makes me laugh. The Penguins don't need Karlsson. 

They have enough playmakers and guys who want the puck on their stick.  They needed a goalie, some defensive help and some wing depth. They should have targeted Hellebuyck and signed Dumba. 

• Applause 1

7 hours ago, The Dude said:

I'd say SJ wins the trade. They get out of that contract without huge retention and they get back a handful of players and a 1st. 

Hoffman is decent when healthy,  Rutta is (I guess) a stable,  stay at home vet. Granlund is a depth forward that kills penalties. 

SJs goal likely wasn't for a hefty return for a guy they shouldn't have signed to begin with. Getting Karlsson off the books is the win in this situation. That team was going nowhere with him. 

With all the Panarin haters around here, this is the type of return you should expect when your goal is to just get rid of the cap hit. 

I don't understand the move for the Penguins.  I don't see the fit. Dubas is showing once again, that he can't build a balanced hockey team.

His desire to put all this soft skill into yet another team, after his shit show in Toronto, makes me laugh. The Penguins don't need Karlsson. 

They have enough playmakers and guys who want the puck on their stick.  They needed a goalie, some defensive help and some wing depth. They should have targeted Hellebuyck and signed Dumba. 

It’s a great trade for SJ. Hoffman is on an expiring contract so he’s trade deadline fodder, the pick as you said, and both Ruuta and Granlund are deadline deals iin 24/25 to help them continue to build. 

6 hours ago, Keirik said:

It’s a great trade for SJ. Hoffman is on an expiring contract so he’s trade deadline fodder, the pick as you said, and both Ruuta and Granlund are deadline deals iin 24/25 to help them continue to build. 

Granlund and Ruuta at the deadline next year is not netting a great return. They'd be depth, late rounds picks would come back. 

It's great for San Jose in so far as they got rid of a player who's tenure there horrible, they can turn the page. 

Of course he goes to the fucking Penguins. The only team out of the 30-plus I didn't want him going to. lol True they're getting older and even weaker on defense now, but I'm never going to count them out as long as they still have Malkin and Crosby and that core. Jarry is a very good goaltender also. Even if it's diminishing over the years, they still have that pedigree.

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Granlund and Ruuta at the deadline next year is not netting a great return. They'd be depth, late rounds picks would come back. 

It's great for San Jose in so far as they got rid of a player who's tenure there horrible, they can turn the page. 

This. They basically got a late-first round pick and some mid-round picks. Given the extremely limited market, this is about as good as it was gonna get, and you can't discount the fact that "we don't have to pay Erik Karlsson anymore" is part of the deal. It might even be the most valuable asset they gained.

I don't blame Pitt for making this big of a deal. As long as they have Crosby and Malkin they will have a shot

BUT. They don't have reliable goaltending. They will still have a porous Defense. They Still will have no depth. 

I don't think this deal takes them to a new level. They could be a playoff team. Remember, all they had to do was beat Chicago in the last game of the year to get in and couldn't do that, but they'll still be close. I don't think they are better than the top 3 teams in this division though. Maybe a WC team over the Isles. 

7 hours ago, Pete said:

Cant say I 100% agree. Goodrow snagged a first rounder.  I don’t think there is any way to know exactly what they would get back. A team that believes it’s at least good enough to make the finals always will look at a first as being basically a second round pick if it’s one of the last picks in the round. 

30 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Cant say I 100% agree. Goodrow snagged a first rounder.  I don’t think there is any way to know exactly what they would get back. A team that believes it’s at least good enough to make the finals always will look at a first as being basically a second round pick if it’s one of the last picks in the round. 

Goodrow is an edge case, and Grandlund isn't Goodrow. The team that gave a a first for Goodrow also traded multiple first for Jeannot...and that didn't go well.

I wouldn't call that the norm.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Goodrow is an edge case, and Grandlund isn't Goodrow. The team that gave a a first for Goodrow also traded multiple first for Jeannot...and that didn't go well.

I wouldn't call that the norm.

I’m not saying it’s a norm, but I’m saying it’s a lot more possible than we might realize. Granound himself has a 60 and 40 point seasons under his belt in the not so far past. 

44 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I’m not saying it’s a norm, but I’m saying it’s a lot more possible than we might realize. Granound himself has a 60 and 40 point seasons under his belt in the not so far past. 

I'm not gonna hold my breath, but sure, anything is possible.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

I could definitely see a conditional 1st package for Granlund, with a good season. He just returned a 2nd at this past year’s deadline with zero retention, so that’s going to be about the going rate for him unless he has a bad year. Let’s not forget Copp as a straight rental returned a conditional first and he’s not any better than Granlund.

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Bullseye 1

Grier did his best. He was as never getting a big haul for him, with the salary and flat cap and full NMC. 
Had very few options for EK.

Moved him out, with pretty low retention, and brought in 3 salaries that’ll be off his books in 2 years or better. Right when the retention from Burns comes off too.

His problem at this point is Hertl.

Even Vlasic and Couture over next 3&4 years respectively don’t kill them. 
They’re 3 years from anything close to good. 
Don’t know why they kept Hertl.