• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Flyers Place Tony DeAngelo on Waivers for Purposes of a Buyout; Signed by Carolina to 1-Year/$1.675M Deal

17 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Well, obviously he didn't meet Torts criteria for defensive play. Philly is rebuilding and tearing it down to the studs.

It's odd that Carolina wants him back if he's such a bad person. You'd think BrindAmour wouldn't put up with the stuff that seems to push DeAngelo out the door. 

Out if curiosity. Can anyone think of an offensive D man that has changed positions and moved up to forward late in their career? 

I'll never understand why such players exist. The position is defenseman.  If you don't like playing defense,  or show an inability to do so, why not move to forward? This way, you can have the puck on your stick longer in the offensive zone,  without it putting stess on others to cover your defensive responsibilities. 

Anyway,  maybe he doesn't even make it back to Carolina. After all the moves they've made and the lack of movement on Pesce. Maybe they changed their mind and Philly knew the relationship was too stressed to keep him around. 

It’s a fair point to make about defensemen in general.

But nowadays you have to be able to move the puck out of your zone, even if you’re a stay at home guy.

Lots of emphasis on that.

But I agree that if you’re an offensive D, you pretty much have to be exceptional at it. 
Deangelo is very gifted offensively, but not to the level where you can trust him to play big minutes. Still needs heavy sheltering.

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Well, obviously he didn't meet Torts criteria for defensive play. Philly is rebuilding and tearing it down to the studs.

It's odd that Carolina wants him back if he's such a bad person. You'd think BrindAmour wouldn't put up with the stuff that seems to push DeAngelo out the door. 

Out if curiosity. Can anyone think of an offensive D man that has changed positions and moved up to forward late in their career? 

I'll never understand why such players exist. The position is defenseman.  If you don't like playing defense,  or show an inability to do so, why not move to forward? This way, you can have the puck on your stick longer in the offensive zone,  without it putting stess on others to cover your defensive responsibilities. 

Anyway,  maybe he doesn't even make it back to Carolina. After all the moves they've made and the lack of movement on Pesce. Maybe they changed their mind and Philly knew the relationship was too stressed to keep him around. 

Yeah, I mean they're rebuilding and should be trying to stock assets and they're basically giving away a 45-point defenseman for nothing. 

I also think it's weird that they want him back in Carolina, but maybe he has some type of massive respect for Rod? I don't know.

I don't know that he'd be all that good as a forward. Some players just do better watching the play develop in front of him rather than being the first in on it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Who again couldn't stay in between the lines and became a problem for the coach this time who decided he wasn't worth the headache and wanted him out.  Further strengthening is douche bag rating across the board. 🤡

5 hours ago, jsrangers said:

Who again couldn't stay in between the lines and became a problem for the coach this time who decided he wasn't worth the headache and wanted him out.  Further strengthening is douche bag rating across the board. 🤡

I hear that's a new rating in NHL '24!  They use Claude Lemeiux as the baseline 100.  😃

• Bullseye 1

21 minutes ago, CCCP said:

i know he had issues when he was here and before that, but did he also have issues while in Philthy and/or Carolina?

Yeah there were a bunch of articles, things published in the last few days and quotes from different sources. Apparently after the first couple of games where he was benched because of poor play coming down the stretch he said some shit to Torts who apparently told him to fuck off and he never played again. Then in the year end interview with the media he called it ridiculous and they hated the guy enough to paid him to go away. He had been benched for a stretch earlier in the season with Torts pointing out the deficiencies in his game all along.  Oil and water from the beginning. Who knew?   

https://www.flyersinsider.com/John-Tortorella-Reveals-The-Reason-as-to-Why-Tony-DeAngelo-Was-Benched-For-5-Straight-Games-228593

Edited by jsrangers
  • Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Kinda speaks volumes to a coach like Brind'Amor, who is probably the only one that's had any success getting through to this little prick. 

Also just the difference in rooms. DeAngelo is more tolerable in a veteran room with an established culture. He's not someone you want as one of the veterans in a team trying to build a culture. It makes sense that he'd work in Carolina and not Philadelphia.

• Keeps it 100 2

5 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Also just the difference in rooms. DeAngelo is more tolerable in a veteran room with an established culture. He's not someone you want as one of the veterans in a team trying to build a culture. It makes sense that he'd work in Carolina and not Philadelphia.

That doesn't exactly bode well for his future though.  He's going to have to be a "veteran" one day.  I don't see him as an "example" either Drew. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

That doesn't exactly bode well for his future though.  He's going to have to be a "veteran" one day.  I don't see him as an "example" either Drew. 

Ben Stern, Howard Stern's father said it best when he told Howard as a 7 year old "Shut up, sit down!! and I told you not to be stupid you moron".  That's what Tony needs to hear every time he step foot into a locker room.

• VINNY! 1

4 hours ago, jsrangers said:

Ben Stern, Howard Stern's father said it best when he told Howard as a 7 year old "Shut up, sit down!! and I told you not to be stupid you moron".  That's what Tony needs to hear every time he step foot into a locker room.

And look at Stern now, a miserable fuck

• Phil changed the title to Flyers Place Tony DeAngelo on Waivers for Purposes of a Buyout; Signed by Carolina to 1-Year/$1.675M Deal
  • 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, Pete said:

He's god awful in his own end. Unless they can pair him with Lidstrom, He's bound for Europe. 

Yepp this. Guy is clueless in his own zone. The offensive product has never been good enough to warrant how bad his mistakes and personality is. 

1 minute ago, Albatrosss said:

Reminds me of Del Zotto

Nowhere near the same locker room issues. Better offensively, worse defensively.  

But I remember when everybody tried to make it about ADA's politics. Turns out He's an asshole, and he's just stinks. 

Edited by Pete
  • LMFAO 1