• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sign Erik Gustafsson to 1-Year/$825k Deal

The Dude

Vet D. Added.

Good pickup, but does  this mean Miller is gone? Guy is a 40 point D man. 

We need that? 

Bah. It's depth.  Figures I say Laviolette typically doesn't bring in former players that he's coached.  This makes 2 including Bonino. 

Edited by The Dude

1 minute ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

I don't get how a 42p D-man goes for $825k. Drury has hypnotized these guys somehow. #notcomplaining

Because they want to hit Free Agency next year with cap increase, not many competing teams have $ to throw around due to nearly the entire league being cap strained. Thus the theme of this years Free Agency 

• Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, Winter said:

Because they want to hit Free Agency next year with cap increase, not many competing teams have $ to throw around due to nearly the entire league being cap strained. Thus the theme of this years Free Agency 

Mikkola just got $2.5m/3 yrs from FLA. HE found some money and was, in fact, a 6p D-man. So, my question stands.

• Keeps it 100 2

1 minute ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

Mikkola just got $2.5m/3 yrs from FLA. HE found some money and was, in fact, a 6p D-man. So, my question stands.

Mikkola can give two sh*ts about hitting FA next year lmao no one is paying him anymore this year than next.

• Phil changed the title to Rangers Sign Erik Gustafsson to 1-Year/$825k Deal
  • Phil pinned this topic
4 minutes ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

not to mention Gustafsson point total comes from Capitals injuries last year and when he got to the Leafs didnt find much playing time over their other 7dman

6 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I don’t understand this move if the organization is truly going to give Zac Jones a chance. Means Harpur is pegged for the AHL as well, which I’m fine with. 

If a GM believes in the roster being a Cup winning roster, it’s hard to bank on Jones and Harpur as 3LD and 7th man. What if there’s an injury? Or if Jones doesn’t take? It looks ugly quick.

Edited by BrooksBurner

20 minutes ago, Winter said:

not to mention Gustafsson point total comes from Capitals injuries last year and when he got to the Leafs didnt find much playing time over their other 7dman

So first it was he's holding his chips for next year. Now it's that he sucks. Whether by injury or the grace of God, 42p is 42p. Sounds to me like he was number 19 on his agent's client list. He's never made more than $3m and, at 31, he just tied his career high point total. He's really going to flash his shit for the GMs splitting time with Zac Jones for 7D? Just seems like he coulda/shoulda done better in this market. Oh, and lmao.

Oddly very inexpensive deal. You'd think he had an in on the roster or the organization that talked him into this.

He played a tiny bit with Panarin and Kane in Chicago. 

But, he also had AHL experience with a bunch of former Ranger and Pack players that were in Chicago's system as well as from his Swedish league (Motte, Raddysh, Clendenig, Rydahl, Claesson, Zibanejad, and Hanks brother Joel...)

Guessing he goes way back with Zibanejad. 

Besides Wheeler,  this is a huge steal. One I don't understand or really agree with,  but holy shit. 

He's 31.  If he has a good year with the Rangers he'll get a 3 year deal next year at a much better AAV.

Odds are he and his agents liked the fit with Laviolette and figured that he might get some real playing time with Lindgren getting hurt as often as he does.

• Phil unpinned this topic

Am I the only one who thinks Schneider is on the cusp of being the complete package and can probably move the puck well, once he has a decent partner that he's used to? He carries the puck really well for a bigger guy IMO. I know people say he's an automatic up the boards guy, but I've seen him motor and make good decisions with the puck. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Am I the only one who thinks Schneider is on the cusp of being the complete package and can probably move the puck well, once he has a decent partner that he's used to? He carries the puck really well for a bigger guy IMO. I know people say he's an automatic up the boards guy, but I've seen him motor and make good decisions with the puck. 

Schneider will be a top-4 type guy in the near future.

Puck moving? Not sure on that.

But being able to play 20+ minutes a night, against top players, in most situations and not have his minutes sheltered… yes. I think so.

He wasn’t a 1st round pick who was in the NHL within like 18 months of draft day for no reason. 

23 minutes ago, Phil said:

This is a real strain on Jones, but I really like this. The biggest problem the Rangers' defense has had is just a lack of puck-moving ability. This gives each pair at least one viable mover.

I’m ok with them taking out as much insurance as possible. 

Lindgren-Fox

Miller-Trouba

Schneider

With Jones/Gustaffson/Harpur

I still view Jones as an unknown, though I want him to get a look.

But minus him, you have 7 that are proven to be AT THE VERY LEAST, serviceable options. 

14 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Zac Jones is gunna request a trade this year. 

12 minutes ago, RodrigueGabriel said:

Does have the feels of Nils.

And just like Nils, I'm happy to take the pick. 

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

And just like Nils, I'm happy to take the pick. 

It's just a shame because he has had the positive team first mindset, keeping his head down, not complaining and putting in the work. Kid isn't a slug. I'd be happy for him to cut his teeth on this team.