• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023 NHL Entry Draft — 23andMe

Phil

10 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

The receptionist at my company just told me that her dad is angry at me.......why is he angry?  B/c he is a scout for Nashville, and they were ready to take Gabe Perreault at 24.  He told his daughter to tell me it was a great pick for the Rangers.  

Nashville has always been a very sound organization. So, the fact that they were high on him and mad they missed it has me even more optimistic.

40 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Nashville has always been a very sound organization. So, the fact that they were high on him and mad they missed it has me even more optimistic.

What makes me optimistic is the fact that the pick was not made by Jeff Gorton.

• LOL 1

Just now, Sod16 said:

What makes me optimistic is the fact that the pick was not made by Jeff Gorton.

That too. lol I just mentioned in the other draft thread what a terrible job he did, and that he just reached on picks too many times. So many good draft spots completely wasted.

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

It takes 4-5 years in most cases.

Even with guys drafted super high it happens. 

The player you are at 18 when you’re drafted is different than what you are at 21, and then at 23-24.

Hockey players get drafted too young.  It's like baseball.  Because of the minor league system kids lose their free agency before they've come close to developing into the players they will be.

Don't know what the answer is but it's definitely not right for the kids and it's probably not right for the NHL either.

3 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Hockey players get drafted too young.  It's like baseball.  Because of the minor league system kids lose their free agency before they've come close to developing into the players they will be.

Don't know what the answer is but it's definitely not right for the kids and it's probably not right for the NHL either.

I think it’s fine. Good players will always make their way. 

5 minutes ago, Br4d said:

You’re right.

But there’s a simple answer.

Send those guys to the AHL.

Most of them need it.

All of them benefit from it.

The rules on prospects aren’t good.

NHL needs to amend them. 

I’m also not a fan of highly drafted guys going back to Junior after they are drafted.

Its stupid and it makes no sense and offers little to no benefit.

The AHL exists for a reason.

Its high time more teams start utilizing it properly and the league itself should do what it can to make that a more accessible option.

Plus, there’s a disconnect on that when it comes to the really high picks.

Teams are reluctant to send those guys down too often.

Its bullshit.

Just because you drafted a guy super high doesn’t mean that he can’t benefit from time in the A.

Its like become a stigma. 

They say the NHL isn’t a “development league.”

And guess what?

Theyre right.

Cause it isn’t.

But you  have a developmental league at your disposal.

Use it.

5 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

That’s true.

But development isn’t linear. 

But being drafted doesn’t guarantee anything. How many guys go the college route and still make it? How many get drafted and don’t? 

late bloomers don’t get shunned. Prospects who are “bad” get let go quite early to navigate their own path. 

You could push it to 20 and I don’t think a lot changes but then you can argue guys who are 18 & 19 might be kept out of the nhl too long. 

2 minutes ago, siddious said:

But being drafted doesn’t guarantee anything. How many guys go the college route and still make it? How many get drafted and don’t? 

late bloomers don’t get shunned. Prospects who are “bad” get let go quite early to navigate their own path. 

You could push it to 20 and I don’t think a lot changes but then you can argue guys who are 18 & 19 might be kept out of the nhl too long. 

I don’t think age is necessarily the problem.

Its what you do with them, and how you do it, and where you do it that is what makes the difference.

They aren’t all ready at 18. We just see the ones that are and think they should all be that way, and we forget that’s not the case for most of them. 

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

I don’t think age is necessarily the problem.

Its what you do with them, and how you do it, and where you do it that is what makes the difference.

They aren’t all ready at 18. We just see the ones that are and think they should all be that way, and we forget that’s not the case for most of them. 

Right… the ones that aren’t, continue on in juniors… 

your point is lost on me lol 

Edited by siddious

9 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Haha. Habs fans are ready to throw him off the roof of the Bell Centre. From what I am reading they were enraged with their pick last night.

Just such a Gorton pick lol. Reaching for a European that was ranked between 10-20 by almost everyone at #5.

Could still turn out to be a Seider situation where Gorton gets the last laugh tho.

46 minutes ago, siddious said:

Right… the ones that aren’t, continue on in juniors… 

your point is lost on me lol 

My point is they shouldn’t continue there.

If they’re getting drafted high, clearly they have graduated from there.

But there are rules and bullshit that prevents them from playing elsewhere under circumstances.

System needs revision.

Probably the right answer is to not allow kids to be drafted until they have used up all of their eligibility for Juniors or graduated from High School.  Amend the draft process to only give the rights up until the following draft.  Anybody not signed by then goes back into the draft.  Specifically players playing in college cannot be locked up until they leave college.  You can draft them in whatever draft you want but their rights revert at the following draft.

Edited by Br4d

4 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

My point is they shouldn’t continue there.

If they’re getting drafted high, clearly they have graduated from there.

But there are rules and bullshit that prevents them from playing elsewhere under circumstances.

System needs revision.

Gotcha. 

in an ideal world the ahl would accept them but they don’t wanna fuck the CHL up

and the AHL isn’t meant to be a development league. 

I feel like at this point college hockey has kind of filled in to be that interim league but obviously that doesn’t apply to CHL for the most part. 

I always thought the ahl should allow 1-2 under 18’s on each team for development purposes only.