• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023 NHL Entry Draft — 23andMe

Phil

https://thehockeywriters.com/gabe-perreault-2023-nhl-draft-profile/

The son of long-time NHLer Yanic Perreault, Gabe Perreault is a highly-skilled, offensive-minded winger who has a variety of tricks in his arsenal that makes him a threat on the power play. His offensive abilities bleed into both playmaking and shooting, but I think he’s more of a pass-first player. He is good at reading plays and making quick, smart decisions in the offensive zone, and has great vision.

He’s very creative with his stickhandling and isn’t afraid to take on opposing defensemen one-on-one off the rush. His quick hands allow him to stickhandle his way out of pressure and move the puck to an open teammate to maintain possession. He shoots often, but is smart with selecting the right shots to take. What’s interesting is that it’s like he plays with the mindset of a goalscorer, yet is very accurate with his passes. I would definitely classify him as a playmaker; he thinks and sees the game really well which contributes to his playmaking ability. 

Perreault is going to be an asset on the power play for whichever team drafts him. He has the ability to play along the perimeter and distribute to his teammates, and also hang around the net looking for soft areas off the back post for scoring chances. That’s the role I’d look to play him in. He will position himself to be able to capitalize on rebounds, which opens up a world of potential for him to receive passes off the goalie’s pads for strong scoring opportunities. 

There have been times when he’s bought into his offensive focus more than playing a two-way game and may be the last player back defensively, which is something that can and will be worked on as he advances through his career. Additionally, he has some room for improvement with his skating. He is decently agile, but his speed and acceleration need improvement. At the moment, I wouldn’t bet on seeing him blow by many higher-skilled defensemen in transition very often. Part of the issue could be inconsistency with his stride length.

Perreault is committed to being a Boston College Eagle, and I’d like to see him really improve his defensive play and skating while he’s playing at the college level. He’s an offensive-minded player for sure, but giving him a more well-rounded game will only open up more doors for him down the line. 

Not trying to trash the pick. I don't know shit about these kids. Why is this franchise allergic to taking naturally good skating prospects though?

Tough job evaluating 17-18 year olds and figuring out which player you would most want at 22 years old.

I do enjoy that to make a pick teams can’t send just one or two people on stage but have to send 10 men in suits (all taller than Bettman), sometimes with the random kid or woman.  So much unintended comedy in this broadcast 

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

What’s with the tattoos on Emily Kaplan? Still homely looking, who’s she kidding 

Scary thought: sleeping next to her and being woken by whatever it is that nests in her hair.

• LMFAO 2

5 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Not trying to trash the pick. I don't know shit about these kids. Why is this franchise allergic to taking naturally good skating prospects though?

Yeah. I don't know much about them either, but when I read stuff like this

Analysis: Perreault is an extremely skilled and intelligent winger who can make a ton of positive things happen inside the offensive zone. Perreault makes highly-creative and unique dekes and passes with the puck at a high rate, both off the perimeter and in small areas. His puck game is clear NHL power-play quality, and he will score as a pro. The issues on Perreault’s game is his 5-foot-11 frame and his lack of footspeed. He shows good second effort and can win puck battles at the junior level, although whether he can do that versus men is a concern. His hockey sense is so elite though that I think he can overcome those issues and become a very good top six winger.

Thoughts on the pick: Perreault is one of the most skilled and intelligent players in the draft. I thought he’d go higher, but his frame, a barely 5-foot-11 winger who is skinny, combined with his subpar skating, gave a lot of NHL scouts pause despite his tremendous offensive abilities, so I’m not stunned he got to No. 23. He has a long way to go to look like an NHL player, but he has the talent to be a top six wing for the Rangers down the line. In an ideal world, the Rangers would have added size, and they wouldn’t have picked another wing, but Perreault was too much talent to pass up at this point in the draft for them.

https://theathletic.com/4649257/2023/06/28/new-york-rangers-nhl-draft-2023-grades-picks-analysis/

it makes me highly skeptical, given we have a #1 and a #2 pick whose struggles are very closely linked to a lack of skating ability and speed. Obviously I'm not shitting on the pick or anything like that, just worried that yet again we've taken a first rounder with skating issues. 

37 minutes ago, Gravesy said:

Yeah. I don't know much about them either, but when I read stuff like this

it makes me highly skeptical, given we have a #1 and a #2 pick whose struggles are very closely linked to a lack of skating ability and speed. Obviously I'm not shitting on the pick or anything like that, just worried that yet again we've taken a first rounder with skating issues. 

I get what you are saying about the skating(as skating is like 90+% of the modern game), but when you have someone projected much higher given what was left; you have to take the chance. It's very possible he could have no more than the career trajectory of a Sean Day, but then again he could have Tage Thompson type production 4-5 years down the road. It's all a crapshoot at this point of the 1st round.

While those quotes from Pronman are most likely fair and accurate; he also had Perrault ranked #12 a month ago in his final pre-draft ranking.

https://theathletic.com/4538998/2023/05/30/nhl-draft-rankings-2023-bedard-pronman/

Do agree 100% that fundamentals to skating like technique(edge work) and foot speed should be the primary metric when scouting, you have to swing for the fences on this pick. Even someone like Calum Ritchie who would have been my pick at this spot if Perrault was not available, is a drop off in terms of players available. I think that the only thing that they could have done better would have been to trade up for Moore. 

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

Perreault has 3+ seasons at BC to refine his skating game and I'm pretty sure they'll be working with him on that.

9 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Let the kid go to college for a couple of years. He’ll get good coaching, exposure to quality strength and conditioning, and he’ll gain weight, fill out some, and get stronger.

His skating will improve too.

• Believe 1

14 hours ago, Br4d said:

The NHL draft is weird as sports drafts go.  Like baseball it takes a long time to get most prospects their first shot at a real job and then you throw the international aspect in and it becomes weirder still.

It's almost like once you get outside the 1st round you're drafting to fill your minor affiliates so they can have a decent roster from year to year.

Scouting and player evaluation have improved. But yes, once you get past round 1 it’s such a crap shoot. 
And in some years, that’s true by the middle of round 1. 

2 hours ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

I get what you are saying about the skating(as skating is like 90+% of the modern game), but when you have someone projected much higher given what was left; you have to take the chance. It's very possible he could have no more than the career trajectory of a Sean Day, but then again he could have Tage Thompson type production 4-5 years down the road. It's all a crapshoot at this point of the 1st round.

While those quotes from Pronman are most likely fair and accurate; he also had Perrault ranked #12 a month ago in his final pre-draft ranking.

https://theathletic.com/4538998/2023/05/30/nhl-draft-rankings-2023-bedard-pronman/

Do agree 100% that fundamentals to skating like technique(edge work) and foot speed should be the primary metric when scouting, you have to swing for the fences on this pick. Even someone like Calum Ritchie who would have been my pick at this spot if Perrault was not available, is a drop off in terms of players available. I think that the only thing that they could have done better would have been to trade up for Moore. 

It takes 4-5 years in most cases.

Even with guys drafted super high it happens. 

The player you are at 18 when you’re drafted is different than what you are at 21, and then at 23-24.

• Keeps it 100 1