• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

A Draft Day Lafreniere Hypothetical

Phil

Lafreniere + 23rd overall to MTL for 5th overall (Matvei Michkov)  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Would you green light this trade?

4 minutes ago, siddious said:

No more Russians in the first round

Nothing against Russians we just suck with them

I mean, yeah. I don't hate it, but I also kinda hate Laugh, so...

Total catch-22 here.

Still, my gut tells me jump on this.

• Like 1

Waiting for LaF is like waiting for a pretty girl with a big butt to lose weight.  It ain't happening.

Don't mind the wait for him to come over, given it is unlikely that he will be good at 18-20 in an alien environment.  Let him develop on someone else's dime and come later, like Kril the Thrill.

I've been thinking of whether we should do Miller for the 5th overall in a rich draft year.

Edited by Sod16

I am no fan of Lafrenière.  But the talk of waiting for this kid as a prospect, isn't very appealing, when the Rangers need a guy for the top 6 sooner rather than later. 

That whole Kravtsov fiasco really put a damper on interest in drafting Russians in the 1st round. I actually think Drury is more likely to just go mostly NA in the 1st few rounds anyway. I don't think Drury makes that deal even if it were Lafrenière straight up. 

I understand the desire to move Lafrenière for almost anything.  

I'm indifferent on it. Want Lafrenière gone and it's good value in obtaining the 5th pick.  But who else would be there instead of this Russian kid? 

What do the draft gurus here have to say about him? 

1 hour ago, Sod16 said:

Waiting for LaF is like waiting for a pretty girl with a big butt to lose weight.  It ain't happening.

Don't mind the wait for him to come over, given it is unlikely that he will be good at 18-20 in an alien environment.  Let him develop on someone else's dime and come later, like Kril the Thrill.

I've been thinking of whether we should do Miller for the 5th overall in a rich draft year.

Yes

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

I am no fan of Lafrenière.  But the talk of waiting for this kid as a prospect, isn't very appealing, when the Rangers need a guy for the top 6 sooner rather than later. 

That whole Kravtsov fiasco really put a damper on interest in drafting Russians in the 1st round. I actually think Drury is more likely to just go mostly NA in the 1st few rounds anyway. I don't think Drury makes that deal even if it were Lafrenière straight up. 

I understand the desire to move Lafrenière for almost anything.  

I'm indifferent on it. Want Lafrenière gone and it's good value in obtaining the 5th pick.  But who else would be there instead of this Russian kid? 

What do the draft gurus here have to say about him? 

No Way What GIF

• LMFAO 4

I think I'd do it

We can afford to wait for him to come over. 

I think 32 thoughts hinted that if he gets drafted by Washington something would be resolved where he comes over earlier (ovechkin would have enough pull to get him here) but not sure we'd be able to pull that off.

Michkov is better that Kravstov though. If I recall correctly, Kravstov had his draft stock rise sharply because of a good KHL Playoff run but had a far less previously established pedigree beforehand, whereas Michkov has always been rated super highly but has seen his stock slip a bit just due to geopolitical factors and a contract in Russia that he wouldn't be able to get out of right away.

I'm still a believer in Laf's ability. But maybe a move to Montreal would do better for him than being stuck here behind a lot of established vets.

For a "win now" team, this is a terrible move. I hate Lafreniere, but at the very least he's a warm body on a cap strapped team. 

Unless you could arrange some sort of Jack Bauer "rescue a hostage from the Russian consulate" mission for Michkov, you absolutely don't do this. 

And, even if it's not Michkov, none of the players outside the top 3, maybe 4, are NHL-ready. So you're waiting a year at least, which the Rangers cannot do.  

37 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

For a "win now" team, this is a terrible move. I hate Lafreniere, but at the very least he's a warm body on a cap strapped team. 

Unless you could arrange some sort of Jack Bauer "rescue a hostage from the Russian consulate" mission for Michkov, you absolutely don't do this. 

And, even if it's not Michkov, none of the players outside the top 3, maybe 4, are NHL-ready. So you're waiting a year at least, which the Rangers cannot do.  

I disagree,  currently ~$11 mill in cap space.  Move out Chytil and Laf and bring in Nylander is essentially a wash.  Halak for a mill.  Cuylle, JBrod, and Jones on to the roster is 2.4 mill.  Say 4 for Miller. 

That leaves you with 3.6ish.

You can go bargain basement to find a RW for the 4th line for a Brett Ritchie, Josh Leivo, Tyler Pitlick type guy.

That leaves you about 2.8.

From here you can still trade Goody, which I would if....(This one is for @The Dude) you Can sign Domi for 4 or less.  Then utilize Othmann.

That gives you:

CK - Zib - Kakko

Panarin - Tro - Nylander

Othmann - Domi - Vesey

Cuylle - Jbrod - Cheap RW4

and leaves you $1.5 in cap space just needing a 13th forward.  Depending on price you might be able to replace Cheap RW4 with Hathaway.

The only Lafreniere deal I am interested in right now is one that brings a young RW ready to step in right away in the top 6.  Both things have to be true: young and ready to step in.

Ideally the guy is 22-24 and still not extremely expensive against the cap.  If he's older I'm still ok with the deal but the Rangers need to get something else back because it's 50/50 Laffy is going to be an inexpensive superstar on his next team.