• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Peter Laviolette Is Next Rangers' Head Coach; Signs 3-Year Deal

Phil

7 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

This is how they sell Q to the skeptics. There’s going to be some kind of “falling out” with Laviolette, and in a couple of weeks after Q is hired it will be “Well you know, we were in a bit of a tough spot. Other candidates we were interested in were gone, and so when Q passed through the rigors of the NHL’s reinstatement process, we felt he deserved the look for sure”

Another Drury masterclass. I'm here for it!

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

Trouba has taken the role very seriously and actually wants to be a leader. Apparently the team has said as much and so has the media. To lose him because his contract is a bit overwhelming isn't a good play. It would put a hole in this rudderless ship.

Keep Trouba and send Kreider packing if we are moving one of the two next year. Open up the spot for Laf and move the roster in the right direction with filling roster holes. Kreider has been great and is a bargain at this point but gotta look forward and plan accordingly not live in the past.

I wouldn't move either, if I could. They play the right way. Especially for the guy expected to be named head coach. There are other options (that we can discuss in other threads).

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Br4d said:

At the moment we have to live with him as the guy.

Obviously we'd be better off in the long term with a Brady Tkachuk or having Will Cuylle develop the taste for appropriate fisticuffs when necessary.

Yeah, there's no way to move them. I don't think there's ever going to be a way to move him. But it's a prohibitive contract to be sure. It's one thing if he were pulling his weight offensively, then you live with a defensive warts. But he's kind of terrible at both ends of the ice.

The on ice quality quality he has is open ice hitting and fighting. That's just not worth the price tag. 

• VINNY! 1

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I thought Q coming here was kind of a pipe dream, definitely not impossible. Laviolette is definitely the best of the 'retread' coaches that's not Q.

While he is that, this feels more like a cautious choice by Dru in a bid to protect his job. Feel like it's going to be a lateral move coming out of the Gallant era. Not sure Laviolette does much to move this franchise forward or any closer to the Cup. Maybe I'm just being a downer, but his recent body of work shows that while he'll be an improvement over Gallant in some area, he has a lot of shortcomings too. 

• Bullseye 1

15 minutes ago, Karan said:

While he is that, this feels more like a cautious choice by Dru in a bid to protect his job. Feel like it's going to be a lateral move coming out of the Gallant era. Not sure Laviolette does much to move this franchise forward or any closer to the Cup. Maybe I'm just being a downer, but his recent body of work shows that while he'll be an improvement over Gallant in some area, he has a lot of shortcomings too. 

Gunna be a large focus on his assistants too. Interested to see what happens there. 

20 minutes ago, Karan said:

I understand what you're saying, but when you really take a step back and look at it, they don't need to take a big swing here. 

The only thing wrong with Gallant was that he wasn't an X's and O's coach. He's actually very similar in personality to Gallant. And all they really needed to add was somebody who understood the X's and O's.

And if you step back even further, and look at all these posts since Gallant was fired, it goes the range from needing somebody completely unheard of, to defensive John Hynes. It's all over the map.

I'm still of the mind that they have great musicians in the orchestra and they just need a maestro and some sheet music. Laviolette gives them that. 

I also don't think Drury is anywhere near thin ice as most people believe. His resume is much more good than bad. There are 31 coaches in the league who would have killed for either Tarasenko or Kane at the deadline. GG complained about it.

They'll be fine.

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I understand what you're saying, but when you really take a step back and look at it, they don't need to take a big swing here. 

The only thing wrong with Gallant was that he wasn't an X's and O's coach. He's actually very similar in personality to Gallant. And all they really needed to add was somebody who understood the X's and O's.

And if you step back even further, and look at all these posts since Gallant was fired, it goes the range from needing somebody completely unheard of, to defensive John Hynes. It's all over the map.

I'm still of the mind that they have great musicians in the orchestra and they just need a maestro and some sheet music. Laviolette gives them that. 

He’s not a sexy or trendy choice to be sure.

But hes got a good reputation around the league. His players typically like him and he relates well to them. And he’s a pretty adept guy tactically with system, X’s and O’s, adjustments, matchups, etc.

And look… people may make what they want of his more recent history, having been fired by 5-6 teams, and all of that.

But he’s won a Cup, and been there twice more- with 3 different teams. That’s not by accident. He didn’t oops his way to 3 trips to the Stanley Cup Finals. He has a plan and knows how to execute it.

And he’s getting a pretty talented team. So there’s that too.

• Cheers 1
  • Believe 1

• Phil changed the title to Peter Laviolette Is Next Rangers' Head Coach
2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Good news!

@Karan This is not a lateral move. lol Give me this guy over Gallant any day.

I think it is kinda is, simply based on the fact that this guy has his own shortcomings different from Gallant's lol Pretty sure there'll be frustration over Laviolette's ways and some fans calling for his dismissal 6 months into his tenure and that simply comes from the expectations of where this team's currently at with regards to it's Cup window. 

• VINNY! 2

Just now, Karan said:

I think it is kinda is, simply based on the fact that this guy has his own shortcomings different from Gallant's lol Pretty sure there'll be frustration over Laviolette's ways and some fans calling for his dismissal 6 months into his tenure and that simply comes from the expectations of where this team's currently at with regards to it's Cup window. 

Sounds like Rangers fans every single year. Every coach has shortcomings. Gallant had no plan of attack, no system, nothing. Players had no clue what to do. Look, if you are more concerned with the overall makeup of the team and the players themselves, that's fine. But this current group has had basically no coaching for five years. Three years of Quinn and two of Gallant ain't it.

If Laviolette comes in and is a failure and players don't get better and all, the yeah, it's probably time to rethink the make up of the team. Until then, right now? I say we finally have a quality coach. Perhaps the best since Torts.

• Bullseye 1

Alright....

I'm not gonna kick and scream about this.  I'm going to see this through for better or worse!  We didn't get MY guy, but I'm going to be positive about Laviolette.  Hopefully he has the magic touch to get this team where it belongs!

Hey @The Dude...Congrats on getting the guy you pulled for!!  I'm jumping on board with you, man!! 

All good vibes from me!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Karan said:

One shortcoming  Laviolette has compared to Gallant is  Laviolette doesn’t have Tarasenko

• Like 1

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

It is about as lateral of a move as you can get IMO

You really don't think he's that much an improvement over Gallant? I'm not saying Laviolette is one of the all time great coaches, a can't miss. But, I don't see how they are already better behind the bench than they were last season. Although some of that hinges on who the new assistants are.

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Alright....

I'm not gonna kick and scream about this.  I'm going to see this through for better or worse!  We didn't get MY guy, but I'm going to be positive about Laviolette.  Hopefully he has the magic touch to get this team where it belongs!

Hey @The Dude...Congrats on getting the guy you pulled for!!  I'm jumping on board with you, man!! 

All good vibes from me!

Where has positivity gotten anyone as a Rangers fan? No, I think I speak for everyone when I say I absolutely want to see you kicking and screaming for a change 😆

• LMFAO 1

so after next season's failure we'll give Lavi a pass because he's new and not all players had enough time to buy into his system.  After the following season's 1st round playoff exit we'll realize that its not the coach but the faulty roster but by then Drury would've traded Kakko and Laf and Miller and Oth and left with 100 year old Panarin and Kreider. 

• Keeps it 100 1