• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Dubois Requests Trade From Jets

Phil

20 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Maybe they'll be reunited here! 😮

You know, I like Dubois from a distance. Something tells me that if you watched him every game you would be left wanting more for some reason.

12 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

This dude is something else. Forcing his way to wherever he wants to go. Must be friends with Fox.

To be fair he requested a trade out of Columbus and was sent to the Canadian version of Columbus

Edited by Cash or Czech
  • LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1

20 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

To be fair he requested a trade out of Columbus and was sent to the Canadian version of Columbus

I roughly remember him having family and friends up there. Regardless, we all live our own life. Hope he can make his way to Anaheim!!

On 6/8/2023 at 12:07 AM, jsm7302 said:

This dude is something else. Forcing his way to wherever he wants to go. Must be friends with Fox.

I know this pervades sports, particularly the NHL, but this mentality drives me absolutely crazy. I know he's a "serial offender", but a guy has the right to use his leverage to choose where he lives.

He's ostensibly got full control of his future. He has very little uncertainty - too good a player to not have interested teams 4around the league. Good on him for actually using that leverage. This would be a far more interesting league if more players did that.

42 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I know this pervades sports, particularly the NHL, but this mentality drives me absolutely crazy. I know he's a "serial offender", but a guy has the right to use his leverage to choose where he lives.

He's ostensibly got full control of his future. He has very little uncertainty - too good a player to not have interested teams 4around the league. Good on him for actually using that leverage. This would be a far more interesting league if more players did that.

I don't know what you mean by interesting, but I bet you wouldn't find it interesting if players on our team were doing just this.

On top of that we are in a flat cap, and on top of that he wants to get paid out sized from what he actually produces.

If he was smart, he would bet on himself with short-term deals and just get to free agency early.

This kid just has an enormous ego, which fuels his trade requests and his contract demands. But here's the thing, he's not as good as he thinks he is. 

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't know what you mean by interesting, but I bet you wouldn't find it interesting if players on our team were doing just this.

On top of that we are in a flat cap, and on top of that he wants to get paid out sized from what he actually produces.

If he was smart, he would bet on himself with short-term deals and just get to free agency early.

This kid just has an enormous ego, which fuels his trade requests and his contract demands. But here's the thing, he's not as good as he thinks he is. 

I'm not commenting on his pay request, which is absurd for a player of his caliber in a flat-cap world. I am, however, saying that we shouldn't begrudge players for using the leverage they're given by the CBA to get to choose where they play or live.

If a Ranger wanted this, yeah, it'd suck, but they'd have the right, and we'd be appropriately compensated. 

Your point on FA is right on, too. It's hard to do in a sport where one rogue hit can end your career, but players should be thinking about shorter-term deals with larger AAVs. Dubois could likely get 9m for a single season and it wouldn't be incredulous.

2 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

I'm not commenting on his pay request, which is absurd for a player of his caliber in a flat-cap world. I am, however, saying that we shouldn't begrudge players for using the leverage they're given by the CBA to get to choose where they play or live.

If a Ranger wanted this, yeah, it'd suck, but they'd have the right, and we'd be appropriately compensated. 

Your point on FA is right on, too. It's hard to do in a sport where one rogue hit can end your career, but players should be thinking about shorter-term deals with larger AAVs. Dubois could likely get 9m for a single season and it wouldn't be incredulous.

Well, he's not. He's demanding a trade (again). Working within his rights from the CBA would mean going to arbitration and hopefully getting 1 year, but even if 2 you're UFA at 26. This is an entitled kid acting entitled.

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

Well, he's not. He's demanding a trade (again). Working within his rights from the CBA would mean going to arbitration and hopefully getting 1 year, but even if 2 you're UFA at 26. This is an entitled kid acting entitled.

Just because players don't often do this doesn't mean they can't. 

He has every right within the CBA to pursue a contract outside of Winnipeg, to refuse to sign with WInnipeg, to hold out and forfeit his right to play if he really doesn't want to be there, but he is by absolutely no means obligated to re-sign with Winnipeg. His status as a restricted free agent only means that Winnipeg has the ability to either match any contract he signs or receive some amount of compensation should they choose not to. Arbitration isn't a good outcome for him - it'll bind him to Winnipeg for another year or two - and I see no reason why he'd want to pursue that route.

Does it suck for the fans of Winnipeg? Sure.

Would the NHL potentially shun him for it? Maybe.

Will he be mercilessly booed in Winnipeg when he returns? Assuredly.

Is this forbidden by the CBA? Absolutely not.

55 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Just because players don't often do this doesn't mean they can't. 

He has every right within the CBA to pursue a contract outside of Winnipeg, to refuse to sign with WInnipeg, to hold out and forfeit his right to play if he really doesn't want to be there, but he is by absolutely no means obligated to re-sign with Winnipeg. His status as a restricted free agent only means that Winnipeg has the ability to either match any contract he signs or receive some amount of compensation should they choose not to. Arbitration isn't a good outcome for him - it'll bind him to Winnipeg for another year or two - and I see no reason why he'd want to pursue that route.

Does it suck for the fans of Winnipeg? Sure.

Would the NHL potentially shun him for it? Maybe.

Will he be mercilessly booed in Winnipeg when he returns? Assuredly.

Is this forbidden by the CBA? Absolutely not.

Of course it's outside the CBA. That's why it's called holding out, and that's why you don't get paid, and that's why you're not covered by insurance and you have to take out your own, etc. The club holds his rights, but he's not under contract, and therefore he's not protected by the CBA.

The only right he has within the CBA is arbitration. 

26 minutes ago, Pete said:

Of course it's outside the CBA. That's why it's called holding out, and that's why you don't get paid, and that's why you're not covered by insurance and you have to take out your own, etc. The club holds his rights, but he's not under contract, and therefore he's not protected by the CBA.

The only right he has within the CBA is arbitration. 

I would understand the reason you don't get paid, or have insurance, and so on if you don't have a contract is because you don't have a contract and are therefore unemployed. All of that has everything to do with your contract status and not with the CBA itself. That said, this is at best a semantics distraction from the core of the issue - nothing PLD is doing here is against the rules because as an RFA he is under absolutely no obligation to sign with Winnipeg. 

38 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I would understand the reason you don't get paid, or have insurance, and so on if you don't have a contract is because you don't have a contract and are therefore unemployed. All of that has everything to do with your contract status and not with the CBA itself. That said, this is at best a semantics distraction from the core of the issue - nothing PLD is doing here is against the rules because as an RFA he is under absolutely no obligation to sign with Winnipeg. 

Right. He can then stay at home or practice with a beer league.

On 6/12/2023 at 8:44 AM, LindG1000 said:

Agree 100%. Players are already bent over a barrel and can't do much about it for the first 7+ years of their pro careers. If they want to walk it to UFA, and undoubtedly risk millions by not locking into an immediately available contract with the team they are stuck with, then I have zero issue with that. PLD should be respected for being upfront about it. The good players play for 15 years, and we just expect them to live and play it out where they are drafted. It's insane. It sucks for places like Columbus and Winnipeg. It's just too bad that few people would actually want to live there.

Edited by BrooksBurner

Amazing what "bent over a barrel" means today. Franchise drafts you, invests in your development, pays you handsomely to play a game... All they ask is that they get to keep your rights for a few years so you don't bolt and they get nothing for you.

Must be terrible.

That's a real millennial POV for sure. 

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Amazing what "bent over a barrel" means today. Franchise drafts you, invests in your development, pays you handsomely to play a game... All they ask is that they get to keep your rights for a few years so you don't bolt and they get nothing for you.

Must be terrible.

That's a real millennial POV for sure. 

The Jets still very much have his rights, and if PLD signs a contract elsewhere, they'll be appropriately compensated.

He's out of contract. He owes them nothing more.