• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Dubois Requests Trade From Jets

Phil

6 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

The Jets still very much have his rights, and if PLD signs a contract elsewhere, they'll be appropriately compensated.

He's out of contract. He owes them nothing more.

That has nothing to do with what I said. 

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

That has nothing to do with what I said. 

It's a direct response to your assertion that "all they ask is that they keep your rights for a few years and you don't bolt and they get nothing". It's inconvenient to your argument, but not irrelevant.

4 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

It's a direct response to your assertion that "all they ask is that they keep your rights for a few years and you don't bolt and they get nothing". It's inconvenient to your argument, but not irrelevant.

My post was a direct response to "players bent over a barrell" nonsense. 

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

My post was a direct response to "players bent over a barrell" nonsense. 

I don't think it's a nonsense assertion or an out-of-line statement, but it's more cultural pressure than truth.

Teams own the rights to most drafted players for nearly 10 years post-draft unless they forfeit those rights or accelerate the 7 years of service. That's a really long time to be tied down to a city you may not like or a club that's not a good fit for you, but players do have leverage around that. PLD is using one of those leverage points, the same as Adam Fox, Kevin Hayes, and Jesperi Kotkaniemi did. Players don't often use them not because they don't exist but because it's culturally unacceptable in the NHL and it's often weaponized against younger players - not only in this RFA situation but in contract negotiations (as we often see younger players signing contracts that aren't representative of their true value to the team). A player could refuse to sign their ELC and completely reclaim their destiny - or refuse an extension, or hold out for a trade, but it's a risk for all but the best players to do so.

7 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I don't think it's a nonsense assertion or an out-of-line statement, but it's more cultural pressure than truth.

Teams own the rights to most drafted players for nearly 10 years post-draft unless they forfeit those rights or accelerate the 7 years of service. That's a really long time to be tied down to a city you may not like or a club that's not a good fit for you, but players do have leverage around that. PLD is using one of those leverage points, the same as Adam Fox, Kevin Hayes, and Jesperi Kotkaniemi did. Players don't often use them not because they don't exist but because it's culturally unacceptable in the NHL and it's often weaponized against younger players - not only in this RFA situation but in contract negotiations (as we often see younger players signing contracts that aren't representative of their true value to the team). A player could refuse to sign their ELC and completely reclaim their destiny - or refuse an extension, or hold out for a trade, but it's a risk for all but the best players to do so.

He is a whiny little bitch. You don't want to stay in Winnipeg, that's fine You go to management and quietly request the trade. There's a professional way to operate, and taking your business to the press and Twitter is not the way to do it.

Especially when you're not as good as you think you are. 

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

He is a whiny little bitch. You don't want to stay in Winnipeg, that's fine You go to management and quietly request the trade. There's a professional way to operate, and taking your business to the press and Twitter is not the way to do it.

Especially when you're not as good as you think you are. 

He...didn't? The initial tweet starting this thread is that his agent informed the team that he is unwilling to sign a contract. It's not like he held a press conference and surprised the team by saying he's taking his talents outside of Manitoba. Did Brisson leak that to the press? Potentially, but that's not Dubois doing it.

But this is what I mean by cultural pressure in the NHL. Even if it is well within his rights to do so, he can't decide to leave if a team owns his rights because the sentiment like the one you shared becomes the narrative instead.

6 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

He...didn't? The initial tweet starting this thread is that his agent informed the team that he is unwilling to sign a contract. It's not like he held a press conference and surprised the team by saying he's taking his talents outside of Manitoba. Did Brisson leak that to the press? Potentially, but that's not Dubois doing it.

But this is what I mean by cultural pressure in the NHL. Even if it is well within his rights to do so, he can't decide to leave if a team owns his rights because the sentiment like the one you shared becomes the narrative instead.

He created his own narrative by requesting trades from every team he's ever been on. 

36 minutes ago, Pete said:

He created his own narrative by requesting trades from every team he's ever been on. 

He's not requesting a trade out of Winnipeg. He's out of contract and saying he won't sign a new contract. If Winnipeg chooses to trade him to resolve that, that's their choice. They could also go to arbitration and get a binding contract agreement. They could tell him to seek out a contract with another team and they'll decide if they like the compensation enough to let him go. They could also just let him twist in the wind.

1 minute ago, LindG1000 said:

He's not requesting a trade out of Winnipeg. He's out of contract and saying he won't sign a new contract. If Winnipeg chooses to trade him to resolve that, that's their choice. They could also go to arbitration and get a binding contract agreement. They could tell him to seek out a contract with another team and they'll decide if they like the compensation enough to let him go. They could also just let him twist in the wind.

He asked for a trade dude, stop spinning.

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

He asked for a trade dude, stop spinning.

First, it was "he owes the Jets something". Then it was "he's a whiny bitch". Then it was "he always requests trades".  That shit's spin. 

He has no contract. Bottom line. Winnipeg has dibs, basically, but they don't have pen to paper. I see no issue in a guy using the leverage afforded him to leave a bad situation. Doubly so when it's crystal clear that Winnipeg is about to clean house and tear it down anyway.

38 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

First, it was "he owes the Jets something". Then it was "he's a whiny bitch". Then it was "he always requests trades".  That shit's spin. 

He has no contract. Bottom line. Winnipeg has dibs, basically, but they don't have pen to paper. I see no issue in a guy using the leverage afforded him to leave a bad situation. Doubly so when it's crystal clear that Winnipeg is about to clean house and tear it down anyway.

He doesn't have a contract with the team that holds his rights and has stated that he's not going to sign with the team that holds his rights, therefore he is requesting to be moved. For the second time. The metal gymnastics on your part are staggering. It is what it is, I don't know why you're trying to make excuses.