• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be Our Hero?

Keirik

2 hours ago, jamsim1967 said:

They all have to do their job, but I'm going with Patrick Kane. He was brought here for exactly this moment, and this time. Up to this point he hasn't exactly looked like the Patrick Kane we'd hoped for, so why not now?

I saw something the other day that said Patrick Kane was 2-3 all time in Game 7s with 0 goals

Now it's time for Kane!

Yeah Shesty will be called upon seemingly to the end.  At this point, that's a "given".  But tonight is Kane's turn to shine again!

Honestly I'd like to see the whole team come up with an effort for the ages.  We're going to need it!

38 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

It's kind of amazing they're in position to win this series despite getting no goals from Panarin and no goals from Zibanejad until the last game.

I thought they said during game 6 that Zibby didn't score a goal until game 6 against the Pens last playoff season.

Zibanejad has had a lot of defensive responsibility this series with the Devils team speed.  That doesn't mean he can vanish in the offensive end but given his mindset it does explain where his effort has been.

6 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I thought they said during game 6 that Zibby didn't score a goal until game 6 against the Pens last playoff season.

I believe that is correct and then he totally went off and was a big reason they were able to come back in that series. He wound up having a really good postseason overall after the slow start.

• Bullseye 1

17 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, Kakko is really the only member of the kid line that looks good right now. Lafreniere has been 'woof' and Chytil not that great.

Kids at 5v5 this playoffs (https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason=20222023&thruseason=20222023&stype=3&sit=5v5&score=all&stdoi=oi&rate=n&team=NYR&pos=F&loc=B&toi=30&gpfilt=gpdate&fd=&td=&tgp=410&lines=single&draftteam=ALL )

Kakko 58.50 xGF%, 57.64 CF% (both metrics lead the team)

Chytil 45.78 xGF%, 48.77 CF% (5th and 4th on team)

Laffy  47.38 xGF%, 50.00 CF% (3rd and 4th on team)

Metrics confirm your theory, while also making me wonder if my eyes deceive me on Lafreniere. Maybe he hasn't been that bad, and I'm just looking for a scapegoat for lack of overall production. And, as usual, Kakko needs to figure out how to translate consistently tilting the ice in his favor with real production.

The other part of this is the fact the kids are top 5 on the team in these metrics. What does that say about the rest of the team?

Edited by BrooksBurner

25 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Kids at 5v5 this playoffs (https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason=20222023&thruseason=20222023&stype=3&sit=5v5&score=all&stdoi=oi&rate=n&team=NYR&pos=F&loc=B&toi=30&gpfilt=gpdate&fd=&td=&tgp=410&lines=single&draftteam=ALL )

Kakko 58.50 xGF%, 57.64 CF% (both metrics lead the team)

Chytil 45.78 xGF%, 48.77 CF% (5th and 4th on team)

Laffy  47.38 xGF%, 50.00 CF% (3rd and 4th on team)

Metrics confirm your theory, while also making me wonder if my eyes deceive me on Lafreniere. Maybe he hasn't been that bad, and I'm just looking for a scapegoat for lack of overall production. And, as usual, Kakko needs to figure out how to translate consistently tilting the ice in his favor with real production.

The other part of this is the fact the kids are top 5 on the team in these metrics. What does that say about the rest of the team?

Your eyes don't deceive you. Those numbers are in great, they're just average overall, when that line is out the only person who has been able to get to the middle with the puck is Kakko. It's just nothing but board battles from the other two. It's almost like their content to just keep the puck up against the wall and not get scored on. At least KK is trying to make goals happen. 

You're also looking at five on five production, and we know this team only scores on the power play. 

Edited by Pete
  • Keeps it 100 1

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

Your eyes don't deceive you. Those numbers are in great, they're just average overall, when that line is out the only person who has been able to get to the middle with the puck is Kakko. It's just nothing but board battles from the other two. It's almost like their content to just keep the puck up against the wall and not get scored on. At least KK is trying to make goals happen. 

You're also looking at five on five production, and we know this team only scores on the power play. 

I guess I just meant I have walked away from these games thinking Lafreniere has looked worse than most of the roster, such that I've suggested scratching him. Even if his numbers are just average, he's placing higher metrics-wise than most others on the team. Feels like I've picked a scapegoat, but IDK.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

I guess I just meant I have walked away from these games thinking Lafreniere has looked worse than most of the roster, such that I've suggested scratching him. Even if his numbers are just average, he's placing higher metrics-wise than most others on the team. Feels like I've picked a scapegoat, but IDK.

He's easy to pick on because he SHOULD be so much better than he is, but he's really been fine in the role he's currently deployed in. Yes, he should be doing better but he's not why we're in game 7 on this series, and he's been consistently taking the body and causing turnovers in the O-Zone. 

Still, I expect him to do more than just above average on the team as a 1OA, but I'm not worried about this guy during this series. We're in Game 7 because our powerplay went to sleep for three games and Igor got outplayed in two of them. Laf has little to do with that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

The eye test trumps the advanced stats, always and forever. The metrics can be used as part of the data set to make an informed decision but the eyeballs and the boxcar stats can't be discounted due to favorable metrics.

41 minutes ago, Valriera said:

He's easy to pick on because he SHOULD be so much better than he is, but he's really been fine in the role he's currently deployed in. Yes, he should be doing better but he's not why we're in game 7 on this series, and he's been consistently taking the body and causing turnovers in the O-Zone. 

Still, I expect him to do more than just above average on the team as a 1OA, but I'm not worried about this guy during this series. We're in Game 7 because our powerplay went to sleep for three games and Igor got outplayed in two of them. Laf has little to do with that. 

But why can't they score 5v5? Lafreniere is probably (whole third line, really) the poster boy for that particular problem and that is part of the reason they are here.

Edited by Pete