• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who Will Be Our Hero?

Keirik

Shesterkin has to keep us in each game, but for most of the series he's been solid without stealing a game.  IMO, too much to expect him to steal BOTH game 6 and 7 (with the Rangers being outshot/outchanced in both games and chaos in the Rangers defensive zone).

It's pretty boring to say but games 4 and 5 were a collective egg by almost all the skaters, so have to see better from the whole roster.  I thought game 3 was a toss-up and it was unfortunate that Devils got the OT goal.

Who's capable of a Messier-like performance (multiple point game in Game 6, not necessarily a hat trick)?

Zib

Panarin

Tarasenko

Kane

Fox

Kreider

Miller

I'll say the Laf line scores the first goal of the game in Game 6 and gets us off to a good start, but Zib has a multi-point game to force an elimination game in NJ.  Quiet determination.

I'll say game 7 is a tight game decided by special teams, and Kreider is the hero with a couple of power play points.

As bad as games 4 and 5 looked for the Rangers, remember games 1 and 2 looked that bad (or worse) from the Devils.  It sucked giving up an early goal in game 4 and 5.  If Rangers are tied or have the lead after the first TV timeout in the first period, the outlook will be a lot better than game 4 and 5.  And I'd still rather have the Rangers roster than the Devils roster to win a 7 game series.  We're just to the elimination game stage, so no more margin for error.  That should help the Rangers' intensity and focus.  I do think we're heading toward a game 7, with the same keys.  Score first, put the scoreboard pressure on the Devils, get the crowd nervous, and be able to dictate how the game is played because of having the lead.

• Applause 1

Kreider.  There was a shot of him at the end of the 2nd period, waiting at the bench for I think Trocheck to get off the ice.  The look on his face was something like "wtf is going on right now?"  Dude just looked so perplexed on how they are where they are right now.  I think he starts where he left off after the first two games.  I think he gets a breakaway goal after leaving the box after a penalty, and he gets a tip in PPG.  Someone else will get an ENG with the Rags winning 3-1 and Igor putting on a clinic.

Jason Sudeikis Good Luck GIF by Apple TV+

Edited by SaveByRichter35
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

If Gallant had half a brain they would be trying new power play combinations out today and working on dump and chasing.

I would look into a first unit of Zibby, Kreider, Fox, Chytil & Tarasenko

2nd unit Panarin, Kane, Trochek, Kakko & Miller.

Doesn't hurt to try some new units at this point.

I understand the frustration, but I don't think dumping it in is the answer. I believe there are a ton of statistics that show when you dump the puck you don't really get it back often. Especially on the power play, that is a losing strategy. 

When you're one man up you need to be supporting the puck with two players, create two all ones in small areas all over the ice. The Rangers aren't doing that, it's not getting into the zone that's the problem on the power play it's the lack of movement once they've established possession. 

If you want to play that chip and Chase game, then you have to put a fourth liner on your top three lines, and then who's on the fourth line? Cuz on the top three lines there is no one who's going to chase and retrieve the puck successfully. They are all either small or soft. 

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

I understand the frustration, but I don't think dumping it in is the answer. I believe there are a ton of statistics that show when you dump the puck you don't really get it back often. Especially on the power play, that is a losing strategy. 

When you're one man up you need to be supporting the puck with two players, create two all ones in small areas all over the ice. The Rangers aren't doing that, it's not getting into the zone that's the problem on the power play it's the lack of movement once they've established possession. 

If you want to play that chip and Chase game, then you have to put a fourth liner on your top three lines, and then who's on the fourth line? Cuz on the top three lines there is no one who's going to chase and retrieve the puck successfully. They are all either small or soft. 

The power play really is the only time they are getting into the zone.

5 on 5 is when they haven't been able to gain entry into the offensive zone.   The Rangers are a terrible dump and chase team.  That's why they always struggle against teams that don't allow carrying the puck into the zone.

On 4/28/2023 at 7:03 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Kreider.  There was a shot of him at the end of the 2nd period, waiting at the bench for I think Trocheck to get off the ice.  The look on his face was something like "wtf is going on right now?"  Dude just looked so perplexed on how they are where they are right now.  I think he starts where he left off after the first two games.  I think he gets a breakaway goal after leaving the box after a penalty, and he gets a tip in PPG.  Someone else will get an ENG with the Rags winning 3-1 and Igor putting on a clinic.

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

• Believe 1

On 4/28/2023 at 7:03 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Pretty impressive right now. Hope it’s just as impressive after G7.

• Believe 1

24 minutes ago, Dunny said:

It's clearly Shesterkin 

Yea no kidding; key saves at key times. Gotta say though....Without Kreider, we really don't stand much of a chance. He was the creater last night and for much of the series has been the guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Mika woke up and so did the team. 

Kreider had a great game but the goal was a fluke. Yea it still counts, but Mika still gets the hero status. 

The goal was a fluke, but he had two great assists as well. Kreider was definitely the 1st star and «hero of the game».

Mika can get it in game 7.

• Keeps it 100 2