• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#72) Rangers at Carolina Hurricanes — Upgraded Back to Hurricane

48 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

If they are able to keep both, it probably means one large contract is going to be moved. (Goodrow most likely, as his AAV is absurd)

You're probably right but Goodrow fills an important role on this team.  I'm not sure I see someone else in the system that can do what he does.  So his replacement has to come from outside which will cost at least $2 mil.  Is that $1.6 mil savings worth it?  Goodrow seems to be a true leader on this team as well and has chipped in more points than was probably expected.  

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

If they are able to keep both, it probably means one large contract is going to be moved. (Goodrow most likely, as his AAV is absurd)

I love Goodrow and what he brings. He’s a playoff player. I’m looking forward to seeing him (hopefully) healthy in this years playoffs compared to last years. Talk about a guy who raises his game and ups the ante come that time of year.

That being said, if moving him allowed us to keep 91, I’m all for it. I’d love to see Tarasenko and Zibanejad team up for the long haul. I’d love to see that whole line together for the long haul.

And like I said earlier, not that he’s about to sign for the league minimum, but I do think Kane is going to work with us to stay here. Almost like Shanahan did. At this stage, I don’t see him wanting to hop around all too much.

• Phil unpinned this topic
26 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Igor! Igor!

Expected goals was what I thought it might be though. Carolina just throws rubber to the net. Clearly an effective strategy for them but I thought the Rangers had more quality chances.

I’m not taking anything away from

Carolina. But the Rangers learned a lot about them last year. It is a painfully difficult defensive team. And the first few times we met last year, they ran laps around us. Even the 1 regular season win we had, they kicked our ass and Georgiev stood on his head.

We've come a long way. We know how to win games against teams like that now. And we know we can win games like that. Getting to play teams like this in the playoffs last year was just gigantic for this whole group.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

You're probably right but Goodrow fills an important role on this team.  I'm not sure I see someone else in the system that can do what he does.  So his replacement has to come from outside which will cost at least $2 mil.  Is that $1.6 mil savings worth it?  Goodrow seems to be a true leader on this team as well and has chipped in more points than was probably expected.  

I feel like Will Cuylle could learn from playing with him for a year or so but that opportunity may not arise with our current cap situation.

37 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

The Canes really are just chuckers. I guess it works for them, but the Rangers did a decent job keeping them to the outside. 

They're literally the Corsi Canes. Limit shots against, take as many as you can. Hopefully some go in. Forget looking for a quality shot, just take any shot.

• LMFAO 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

This is peak GG and why someone needs to call the cabs. Nothing about sticking to the system or trusting the process. Just "Play hard. Compete."

Reporter: "How'd your team turn it around and get it in gear?"

GG : "I don't know."

Fucking clown.

Mtv Cabs GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation

• VINNY! 1

I noticed the Rangers started flipping the puck high from DZ to NZ and it neutralized Carolina’s forecheck significantly, while boosting the Rangers chances to pick up a loose/bobbled puck for a rush the other way. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a strategy they employ regularly against them in the playoffs should they meet.

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I noticed the Rangers started flipping the puck high from DZ to NZ and it neutralized Carolina’s forecheck significantly, while boosting the Rangers chances to pick up a loose/bobbled puck for a rush the other way. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a strategy they employ regularly against them in the playoffs should they meet.

I don't think that was proactive, I think that was reactive because they were getting suffocated by Carolina and couldn't even make a pass.

It worked, but I wouldn't expect that over seven games it would be effective. 

9 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah, last season, I think it was on Dimitri Filipovic's pod, Jack Han (formerly of the Maple Leafs org) was on and he said the way to neutralize Carolina is to basically create a jump ball in the NZ and try to win a puck battle or use speed to get their before their D can settle it. They forecheck so aggressively, there's no time to have a structured breakout or even carry the puck out.

So I wouldn't be surprised if it was the strategy. Definitely not pretty, but it can work, as we saw. 

29 minutes ago, Pete said:

This is peak GG and why someone needs to call the cabs. Nothing about sticking to the system or trusting the process. Just "Play hard. Compete."

Reporter: "How'd your team turn it around and get it in gear?"

GG : "I don't know."

Fucking clown.

Mtv Cabs GIF by Jersey Shore Family Vacation

Are we really to believe the small talk he feeds reporters so they have a quote for their next tweet has anything to do with the Xs and Os they go over with the team in the locker room?

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952769b186e86704ca83c

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

I know there’s a lot of talent in that room. But to turn around and call the man stupid after the team put up 110+ points last year and might just do the same again this year? And after the November/December that they had? It can’t just all be on the players and not the coach.

I know some like him and some don’t. I think fans of any sports team will have some grouping of the fanbase who love or hate the man leading them.

16 minutes ago, Karan said:

Are we really to believe the small talk he feeds reporters so they have a quote for their next tweet has anything to do with the Xs and Os they go over with the team in the locker room?

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952769b186e86704ca83c

Actually, yes. Is it that far fetched? This guy hasn't kept a job longer than 2.5 seasons. There's a reason for that.

6 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I know there’s a lot of talent in that room. But to turn around and call the man stupid after the team put up 110+ points last year and might just do the same again this year? And after the November/December that they had? It can’t just all be on the players and not the coach.

I know some like him and some don’t. I think fans of any sports team will have some grouping of the fanbase who love or hate the man leading them.

So he gets credit for the hot streaks and no blame for the ice cold ones?

This is a classic case of the team winning despite the coach. Not because of him. And it isn't just him, it's his whole staff, amirite @Drew a Penalty ?

Edited by Pete

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't think that was proactive, I think that was reactive because they were getting suffocated by Carolina and couldn't even make a pass.

It worked, but I wouldn't expect that over seven games it would be effective. 

Maybe. Or maybe it was actually coaching. I’m inclined to lean towards the latter on this one. It’s not in the Rangers typical DNA to dump the puck like that, and they’ve shown no interesting in doing it as a reactive measure in previous games against the Canes where they are getting swarmed most of the game.

They can use it later to force Carolina off their aggressive forecheck style, which then opens up other breakout styles that favor the Rangers.

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

Maybe. Or maybe it was actually coaching. I’m inclined to lean towards the latter on this one. It’s not in the Rangers typical DNA to dump the puck like that, and they’ve shown no interesting in doing it as a reactive measure in previous games against the Canes where they are getting swarmed most of the game.

They can use it later to force Carolina off their aggressive forecheck style, which then opens up other breakout styles that favor the Rangers.

Could be coaching. It's really just the defense where there is zero structure or plan.

36 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Yeah, last season, I think it was on Dimitri Filipovic's pod, Jack Han (formerly of the Maple Leafs org) was on and he said the way to neutralize Carolina is to basically create a jump ball in the NZ and try to win a puck battle or use speed to get their before their D can settle it. They forecheck so aggressively, there's no time to have a structured breakout or even carry the puck out.

So I wouldn't be surprised if it was the strategy. Definitely not pretty, but it can work, as we saw. 

Interesting. I didn’t realize it was a thing that had been noted before. I haven’t seen the Rangers do it before so it was pretty noticeable to me. It makes sense because I think outside of Slavin and Pesce, the Canes defensemen are covered up by scheme rather than actually being good defensively. I am A-OK with jump balls in the NZ against them.

14 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Interesting. I didn’t realize it was a thing that had been noted before. I haven’t seen the Rangers do it before so it was pretty noticeable to me. It makes sense because I think outside of Slavin and Pesce, the Canes defensemen are covered up by scheme rather than actually being good defensively. I am A-OK with jump balls in the NZ against them.

Agreed. We have game breakers on every line that can convert in situations like that. 

52 minutes ago, Pete said:

So he gets credit for the hot streaks and no blame for the ice cold ones?

This is a classic case of the team winning despite the coach. Not because of him. And it isn't just him, it's his whole staff, amirite @Drew a Penalty ?

No no, I’m not saying that. I’m saying that at the end of the season, hot and cold streaks and all, if we have back to back 110 point seasons, I just don’t see how he can be as bad as some of us make him out to be.

He isn’t perfect, I’ll say that. Believe me I see it. No coach really is.

But again, if we do happen to finish at around 110 points for the 2nd year in a row, I’m not sure he deserves all of the criticism I see of him, is all I was saying. I think 82 games is a fair judge.

8 minutes ago, CCCP said:

Where's Kane?  anyone see Kane?  Dude looks like he wants to go back to Chicago

Dude looks like he's playing with linemates who aren't suited to his game. Shame he and Kakko are both RW, they think the game similarly. They aren't holding the puck looking to make any play, they're looking for the right one.