• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

K'Andre Miller Suspended for Three Games for Spitting on Drew Doughty

Keirik

45 minutes ago, The Dude said:

What does one have to do with the other? 

Maybe stay on topic is a good idea here. 

Just calling it like I see it. 

The kid has an entire college career, not to mention three seasons in the NHL, where he's had one suspect incident on record... And he's having his character questioned by the same people who didn't question ADA's character at all. I'm not bringing it up because ADA has anything to do with Miller, I'm bringing it up because it's a really odd "coincidence".

Maybe staying on topic means discussing what happened on the ice and his punishment for it, instead of asking "how do we know who he really is."

Edited by Pete

28 minutes ago, Pete said:

The kid has an entire college career, not to mention three seasons in the NHL, where he's had one suspect incident on record... And he's having his character questioned by the same people who didn't question ADA's character at all. I'm not bringing it up because ADA has anything to do with Miller, I'm bringing it up because it's a really odd "coincidence".

Maybe staying on topic means discussing what happened on the ice and his punishment for it, instead of asking "how do we know who he really is."

Just pointing out how that’s a bit unfair of a take. I was an “ADA guy” yet here I am defending Miller. I’m not so sure there is some connection.   As for the last bit of staying on topic, I 100% agree. We should discuss what happened on the ice. There is no evidence to any underlying reason besides just the isolated incident on Sunday. 

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Pete said:

Fair but it gets in the weeds when intent is discussed relating to punishment. 

37 minutes ago, Pete said:

I didn't even know he had a suspect incident on record. What was it? 

Wondering if the kid is starting to hang out with the wrong crowd after an uncharacteristic "punk" thing he did somehow is an issue?  And it relates to ADA how? Whats the coincidence?

Before I mistake your tone for something it isn't..... But it sure looks like it is... 

Is this a "ADA supporters are racist" thing? 

Like WTF does one thing have to do with the other? 

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I didn't even know he had a suspect incident on record. What was it?

He doesn't. That's the point. Why are we asking if we "really know him"? Yea, we do. The same way we "really knew" ADA. And he kept being the person we all knew he was the whole time.

Wondering if the kid is starting to hang out with the wrong crowd after an uncharacteristic "punk" thing he did somehow is an issue?  And it relates to ADA how? Whats the coincidence?

It's unnecessary, because it's an uncharacteristic one time thing. Jesus at least wait for a pattern before calling his character into question.

Before I mistake your tone for something it isn't..... But it sure looks like it is... 

Is this a "ADA supporters are racist" thing? 

Like WTF does one thing have to do with the other?

I didn't say anything about racism. What I'm saying is, the very same people who refused to dig into ADA's character despite all the evidence that he's a massive jerk off, are now digging into Miller's because he once did a thing that one time. It's hypocritical. And I'd say that if Miller were white, black, red yellow, green, whatever.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2023 at 5:56 AM, fletch said:

So I am going to speculate with no support.  My evidence is that this was out of character for Miller and sometimes players trash talk.  Maybe Doughty said something that crossed a line between acceptable trash talk and what Miller thought was unacceptable.  I won't speculate here but I can think of a few things that would have crossed the line for me when I was playing sports.  The problem everyone is having is with what Miller did.  If Miller dropped the gloves and fought Doughty then no one would care.  I am not defending the spiitting.  But I am saying unless Miller says what provoked him (unlikely... He will probably just take the NHL discipline) we don't have the whole story.

23 hours ago, fletch said:

Let's pretend roles were reversed and Doughty was the one who was spitting on Miller.  Your interpretation might be the same, that Doughty only deserved a game.  I don't have a strong opinion whether a fine is sufficient, or whether 1,2, or 3 game suspension is appropriate.  But maybe if a Ranger was the recipient of the spit, then some might have a different reaction.

I do think it is a slippery slope to read a player's intent into punishment.  My sense is the reason why the NHL hauls players in front of a disciplinary board for hearings is A. That procedure is in the collective bargaining agreement.  B.  It was agreed that players should have an opportunity to plead their case.  When the league has held a hearing, they have support for taking into account circumstances, explanations, other extenuating circumstances.  

All parties probably just want this incident in the rear view window, and that is probably more important than the punishment.  If there was an injury that caused Doughty to miss time, than it would be a different story.

I was among those guilty of speculation in this thread.  Ultimately I'm not sure it matters what narrative you believe, although it will definitely influence how you view Miller.  I am going to treat it like an isolated incident, an outlier, until any additional future events cause me to rethink that this was an isolated incident.  NHL discipline will be delivered, any suspension will be served, and then Miller will be under additional scrutiny until he shows that this was an isolated incident.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

He doesn't. That's the point. Why are we asking if we "really know him"? Yea, we do. The same way we "really knew" ADA. And he kept being the person we all knew he was the whole time.

It's unnecessary, because it's an uncharacteristic one time thing. Jesus at least wait for a pattern before calling his character into question.

I didn't say anything about racism. What I'm saying is, the very same people who refused to dig into ADA's character despite all the evidence that he's a massive jerk off, are now digging into Miller's because he once did a thing that one time. It's hypocritical. And I'd say that if Miller were white, black, red yellow, green, whatever.

Glad you weren't going with the racist thing. Really thought that's where you were going. 

I can see your point, butI think one issue such as this, has type cast ither players. 

I'm being hypothetical. Trying to figure out why a person,  any person would do that. If thats calling out his character.... So what? This instince is pretty low. Do we not try most every athlete after something low like this? I mean,  people did it to your favorite subject  ADA.  He's still carrying his mistake on his back.  Everything else about him is attitude and politics. But it always sweeps back to the big whammy. This is kind of a whammy 

We agree it was done on purpose. Yes? We agree it's pretty disgusting and low. No? I think this might be a no. 

This doesn't get a 2nd chance or a pattern to come to the conclusion that something is "off" here with him.

We DON'T know him. Much like we don't know what every other athlete does off ice. Am I writing him off? No. I'm trying to talk about what got him to do this. It could be a childish stupid thing. It could be that we really don't know hom. 

Spitting on someone deserves speculation as to why. 

• LindG1000 changed the title to K'Andre Miller Suspended for Three Games for Spitting on Drew Doughty
3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Glad you weren't going with the racist thing. Really thought that's where you were going. 

I can see your point, butI think one issue such as this, has type cast ither players. 

I'm being hypothetical. Trying to figure out why a person,  any person would do that. If thats calling out his character.... So what? This instince is pretty low. Do we not try most every athlete after something low like this? I mean,  people did it to your favorite subject  ADA.  He's still carrying his mistake on his back.  Everything else about him is attitude and politics. But it always sweeps back to the big whammy. This is kind of a whammy 

We agree it was done on purpose. Yes? We agree it's pretty disgusting and low. No? I think this might be a no. 

This doesn't get a 2nd chance or a pattern to come to the conclusion that something is "off" here with him.

We DON'T know him. Much like we don't know what every other athlete does off ice. Am I writing him off? No. I'm trying to talk about what got him to do this. It could be a childish stupid thing. It could be that we really don't know hom. 

Spitting on someone deserves speculation as to why. 

Seems odd that a “good guy” would spit in someone’s face, and then lie about intentions after when it’s clearly on video. A one time incident? OK. That matters when determining suspension length, or if he might be a repeat offender later, but the one incident being what it was says a lot about his character as a grown man at 23 y.o.

You know what...fuck it...it's a one-time incident, and he's been a solid citizen all along.

I say just do your 3 games, put this one in the rear view, and move on.  There are guys out there doing a whole lot worse shit than this.  PK Subban has a network broadcasting gig after slew-footing half the league, during his career for Pete's sake!!  LOL

At least I get to see my new favorite defenseman, Harpur!  😉

1 minute ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

So with a suspension on Miller and Lindgren injured but not on LTIR, will they have to play with 5 D’s for a few games?

Watch Lindgren be back for the Philly game!  I never count him out...he's a freak of nature!

Edited by Ozzy
  • The Chyt! 1