• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

14.9 Million - Roster Decisions for 23/24

jsm7302

Phil
This post was recognized by Phil!

jsm7302 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 1 points.

Cap Gymnastics

3.4 million of dead cap space (Thank you Kevin Shattenkirk, Dan Girardi and not so much Tony DeAngelo) and a 1 million dollar increase to the cap will help to make some key signings.

14.9 million dollars with 14 players under contract for 23/24. 

Signings:

KAndre Miller

54gp- 6g- 24a (Career high in assists and soon to be goals expected) (RFA- Current salary 925k)- Continuing to develop into an elite-lite D man. His reach, his willingness to enter the O zone, and his ceiling all seem like good reason to keep this man around. Hoping we can grab him with a team friendly deal; 4.5 mil/4 years.

10.4 mil remaining

Filip Chytil

46gp- 19g- 14a (Career highs/ties)- (RFA- Current salary 2.3 mil)- Fil the thrill deserves his money. The kid went from whipping boy to creative and dangerous this year. Assuming a Trochek mirror deal here; 5.625 mil/ 5 years.

4.775 mil remaining

Alexis Lafrenierre

53gp- 8g-18a (Career high in assists but goals lagging behind) (RFA- Current salary 925k) Kid is fighting but struggling. Not sure where the ceiling is. With that said, anything more than 2.5 mil/ 3 years will be an overpayment imo.

2.275 mil remaining

Jaro Halak

8-6 (8 in a row btw) 2.62 GAA, .907 SV%

Shaky start with the team but he has settled in nicely (as has the team after a long rough patch) I'll take him for another year at 1.5 mil.

.775 mil remaining

Departures:

18 players under contract which means some salary must be shipped out. There is no way around Barclay Goodrow saying good bye this summer. Cuylle will hopefully step into his role here. This will add 3.64 mil to the cap assuming we deal for picks, prospects. 

4.415 mil remaining

Unfortunately sometimes we must say goodbye to battle tested and roster strongholds. Ryan Lindgren is another cap casualty. At 3 mil and his skill set we should be able to get a decent return.

7.415 mil remaining

Vlad Tarasenko

Vitali Kravtsov

Julien Gauthier

Niko Mikkola

With the signing of Harpur who has been serviceable this year, I see no need to extend Mikkola. Gauthier and Kravtsov warmed seats in the press box for long stretches this year so I'm also not seeing the need to spend $$ there. We just don't have the cash to offer Tarasenko a deal which will move the needle for him imo. So at the end of the day we still need RW's.

Available FA's:

Patrick Kane is my target here. The guy has made his money and is going on 34 years old. I'm offering him a 4 mil/ 4 year contract to finish his career with a cup contender and play with a friend in Panarin.

Tyler Motte was a good fit here. He would fill a fourth line role, we need to define. Coming off a 1.35 mil contract, I'd give him 1.2 mil/ 2 years. (Noel Accairi for the same amount if Motte doesn't work out).

2.215 mil remaining 

20 players under contract

We will need to fill Lindgrens spot and other extra roster spots with up and coming kids including Cuylle for Goodrow's spot. I wanted to send Laffy packing in exchange for keeping Lindgren but know that is not a possibility or reality.

23/24 NY Rangers

Panarin- Zib- Kane

Laf- Chytil- Kakko

Kreids- Tro- Vesey

Cuylle-Motte/Acciari-Pajuniemi

Miller-Trouba

Schneider- Fox

Harpur- Jones/Robertson

Shesty

Halak

(All data sourced from https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/new-york-rangers/)

• Applause 3

I mean, nice work on the thread, but it's just too early to get into the weeds on any of this, because so much of what happens in the playoffs is going to directly influence these decisions. Everything from contract values to who might get shipped out.

I'll say this, though: Lindgren might be a cap casualty one way or another, but they're gonna miss the hell out of him the moment they agree to trade him.

• Keeps it 100 5

Great job on the thread, I don't agree with most of your decisions there, 

Lindgren at 3M is the best value in the entire league. Name someone better. It's borderline MacKinnon on his last deal value. The guy plays top pair D minutes, is indestructible, and consistent as they come. You don't ship out that value when you're in a cap crunch.

To be honest, the guy to ship is either Trochek or Chytil. 3 centers at 5M plus is a nice to have, but you're not getting any value there. I'd love it to be Tro, but honestly? Chytil is fine too. That slots Goodrow in at 3C, which is fine, and we fill out the rest with whomever. Your lineup looks roughly the same as it did to start this year, and that's realistically how it will be until Panarin's contract expires. Which is fine. 

You also don't sign Kane. There's no need, it is and always has been a luxury to have him on the team. We have Panarin, we don't need two Panarins. The lineup looks like this:

Laf - Zib - Kakko

Bread - Trochek - Krav

Kreider - Goodrow - Vesey

Plugs

Lindgren-Fox

Trouba-Miller

Harpur-Schneider

Shesty

Halak

Works with your math just fine, but the elephant in the room is miller on that deal. Only time will tell what his contract will be. The ceiling is Sergachev, which is just never happening on the team right now. If it's that high, unfortunately Miller is gone unless we can move Trouba OR some combination of forwards. Highly doubt it. If its around 6M, it becomes a little more plausible but it's going to be ridiculously tight. 

52 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, nice work on the thread, but it's just too early to get into the weeds on any of this, because so much of what happens in the playoffs is going to directly influence these decisions. Everything from contract values to who might get shipped out.

I'll say this, though: Lindgren might be a cap casualty one way or another, but they're gonna miss the hell out of him the moment they agree to trade him.

Thank you. This type of future outlook post and saying goodbye to current, dependable, players is kind of depressing. 

👏🏻 on laying out the thread. 

Lindgren brings so much to the table but you have to wonder how much punishment this guy can take before really breaking down? It’s a shame too because he’s solid. The comment about the impact on the Fox pairing is legit concern though. They’re an effective pairing. Need some strong Drury magic to replicate that part of our team. 

Goodrow has provided us with some reason to stand and applaud but I still think he’s too invisible in too many situations. I’d package him out and roll the dice. 

Miller is a must keep player. The adage about D-men needing a few years to grow into their NHL role is spot-on with him. Costly, but I say he has to stay. 

Edited by 4EverRangerFrank
  • Like 1

Not desirable but not unfathomable: keep Lindgren and trade Miller at his peak value.  I think he would bring a pick in the 4-6 overall range.  Jus sayin, because this guy is going to be looking for $7m and term, and there are plenty of teams who would be happy to pay it.  Given a choice between Miller at 7 and Lindgren at 5, they might be better off with the latter.

Besides, Lindgren hasn't been bleeding much this year.  He might last a little longer than feared.

Certainly Chytil and/or Miller are the priorities here. Whether you can afford to let one of them go depends on whether there will be any prospects (via trade, draft, free agent...) we can  gamble on.

Laf is expendable, especially with Othman on the horizon. Gotta consider using his dollars elsewhere (unless its possible to trade kreider).

Goodrow is expendable.

Would be tough to move on from lindgren, but perhaps its time for schneider to elevate and figure out replacements that can help make the rd-ld pairings work.

Edited by Jdog99

3 hours ago, Br4d said:

You can't let K'Andre Miller go unless somebody trades for his ceiling and gives us a young star player at a position we need in return.  Picks just aren't going to do it.  Miller's ceiling is way, way up there.

A young star is probably also coming off an entry level contract and ready to get paid, just like Miller.

4 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Not desirable but not unfathomable: keep Lindgren and trade Miller at his peak value.  I think he would bring a pick in the 4-6 overall range.  Jus sayin, because this guy is going to be looking for $7m and term, and there are plenty of teams who would be happy to pay it.  Given a choice between Miller at 7 and Lindgren at 5, they might be better off with the latter.

Besides, Lindgren hasn't been bleeding much this year.  He might last a little longer than feared.

I’m with you. Lindgren/Fox is a special pairing. Miller/Trouba has flaws. 

Plus, I don’t know how they can have a $9.5M and $8M defenseman, and justify another high paid defenseman. Unless the $8M defenseman goes away.

• Bullseye 1

This talk of trading Miller kind of opens my eyes a bit to others trains of thought because to me....trading Miller is a non starter. I get the idea of trading Lindgren as a non starter for others but I feel like Millers ceiling is infinitely higher. Don't get me wrong, I love what Lindgren brings 100% but concessions must be made and his contract is the easy play. There is no way they extend Miller and then trade him. So if this is Drury's plan, I would imagine a trade deadline deal and I just don't see it happening.

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

This talk of trading Miller kind of opens my eyes a bit to others trains of thought because to me....trading Miller is a non starter. I get the idea of trading Lindgren as a non starter for others but I feel like Millers ceiling is infinitely higher. Don't get me wrong, I love what Lindgren brings 100% but concessions must be made and his contract is the easy play. There is no way they extend Miller and then trade him. So if this is Drury's plan, I would imagine a trade deadline deal and I just don't see it happening.

I personally just think he’s a pretty soft player,  especially given his size, and mediocre in his own zone. He’a gifted offensively, no doubt about that, but maximizing what he has to offer offensively is completely blocked by Fox on PP1. For the record, I don’t think they have any interest in trading him.

5 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

I think losing Miller could be one of those things you really regret long term. He could be a real special player in this league, especially under an actual coach.

He is shadowed by Fox but in all reality is a super capable kid who stepped onto the big stage and never looked back. Ceiling is up to the imagination. I think he will explode offensively one of these years. Schneider is quietly doing his job efficiently and while not flashy has really shown a proclivity to protect the backend. Losing Lindgren or Miller is going to be tough to swallow. maybe Miller will bridge to when Trouba is off the books?