• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Possible Trade Target: Max Domi

The Dude

10 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

If you want to replace Hunt with a cheap option go get Cody Eakin who plays PK, wins faceoffs, has playoff experience, and played well for Gallant in Vegas.

You want a 3C that's cheaper than Pavelski or Giroux go get Andrew Copp.  More offense than Domi, plays PK, wins faceoffs, has playoff experience. 

I had mentioned Copp elsewhere as well. He would be a fit and is a decent option for a rental. He would likely cost a bit more but he’s certainly an upgrade. I can’t imagine it taking a haul to get him though. 

Domi isn’t a skillset that really fits a bottom 6 role. I’m not sure he’s better than Hunt at like a 4th line role either tbh. If I’m choosing between flexing Hunt up with Panarin and Strome, versus Domi, ok, sure, I’d go Domi. But at that point I’d rather go Kakko over Domi. So I don’t view this as Domi vs any one particular Ranger. I just don’t see where he fits. We can do better in general, but if we can’t, we really might as well just not do anything.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I think we can do better than Max.  I think the ship has sailed on him.

Probably, but he's an interesting name to keep in the back pocket. The underproduction dont scare me much. Last season was Torts, this season he's slightly below his career average with way less ice time and no PP time. He'd be brought in as an energy guy that could chip in a few points here and there.

Bigger issue being he doesnt PK and he doesnt win faceoffs. He took many more draws last season, and was still in the 48% range. But along with not killing penalties.. he has 8 hits this season? (Panarin has 11, for comparison) 

But he's going to be cheap, which is the only reason his name is still mentioned... unless JD really doesnt want to deal with the Rangers.

14 minutes ago, josh said:

Probably, but he's an interesting name to keep in the back pocket. The underproduction dont scare me much. Last season was Torts, this season he's slightly below his career average with way less ice time and no PP time. He'd be brought in as an energy guy that could chip in a few points here and there.

Bigger issue being he doesnt PK and he doesnt win faceoffs. He took many more draws last season, and was still in the 48% range. But along with not killing penalties.. he has 8 hits this season? (Panarin has 11, for comparison) 

But he's going to be cheap, which is the only reason his name is still mentioned... unless JD really doesnt want to deal with the Rangers.

Yeah, I'm not saying he's terrible, but with the amount of cap we have, I'm hoping we hold out for a guy that may check a couple more boxes, Josh.  Possibly even a guy we can hang on to for another season or 2, if the price is right.  

I hear where you're at though.  Point taken!  😉

• 4 months later...

Bump just for you @The Dude.

If Drury starts looking at centers who will go short on term, Domi may be an option. I didn't like him as a deadline target to make a run, but I'd consider him a good option on a 1 year deal. He still has good potential and can compete with Chytil for the 2C spot. He's also a bit of a dick, which adds some spice to the lineup. Decent production last year with 39 points in 72 games last year. He's shown he's capable of a lot more in the past. I'd look for him to revive that production playing with Panarin. At the very least, he might be a good guy to serve as [beatable] competition for Chytil to earn the 2C spot if the Rangers go the cheaper/internal route for trying to fill it.

5 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Bump just for you @The Dude.

If Drury starts looking at centers who will go short on term, Domi may be an option. I didn't like him as a deadline target to make a run, but I'd consider him a good option on a 1 year deal. He still has good potential and can compete with Chytil for the 2C spot. He's also a bit of a dick, which adds some spice to the lineup. Decent production last year with 39 points in 72 games last year. He's shown he's capable of a lot more in the past. I'd look for him to revive that production playing with Panarin. At the very least, he might be a good guy to serve as [beatable] competition for Chytil to earn the 2C spot if the Rangers go the cheaper/internal route for trying to fill it.

I'd look to him as a cheap alternative to Vatrano on the wing,  whom I really liked, but likely can't be retained. 

Domi would be a solid pick up as a guy you move aroundthe lineup. Just not sure about him at 2C as a target right now, considering there's probably a few better options. Maybe 3C? Move the kid line up, create a new 3rd line. Opposite wing of Panarin, could work. 

Domi may not be a great all around player, but he plays pretty gritty for what he is. He can be a pest and pot some goals. Hard to play against. 

I'd imagine he wants to stay with Carolina though. He had some success there and it seemed like Brindamour wasn't all over him and bitching about him. He's a good supporting player in a middle 6 role. For some reason people here say he sucks and like Brendan Lemieux, is only in the league because of his last name. I dunno. I think they both would fit nicely here and contribute more than they are given credit for.  

25 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Didn't Domi make almost double what Vatrano made this year?

Yes. Close

But Domi is hanging on by a thread to stay relevant and is considered more of a lower line player these days. I don't think he gets more than 2-per on a short term deal. Could maybe get more from a shitty team, but I'd think better teams can offer him better spots as long as he comes cheap. I'd imagine he knows that he isn't going to be a top option for anyone these days. 

Edited by The Dude

• 7 months later...
26 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

feel like he's a playoff ghost the few times he's been there. Seems like he's the type of guy whose always playing on a bad team, which isn't necesarilly his fault but also doesn't get me excited for bringing him in for a playoff run. I'd personally avoid

In 14 playoff games last season he had 3g, 3a with 10 mins TOI. That included 2g, 1a in Game 7 vs. BOS.

So you could say he's a big game performer, or that he had half of his points in one game - depends on what kind of argument you want to make. In any case, that's pretty good for a 4th liner. 

He's getting 1st line minutes in Chicago, so that's partially why his production is up significantly. So you're definitely dealing for an inflated asset. 

It wouldn't be the worst idea, but I'm mostly with @BrooksBurner on this. I feel like Domi should be pretty low on their list of targets and would really only be a true target in the event they miss on nearly everyone else of significance.

He's done well enough to resurrect his career, but I just feel there are better options available, or reportedly available, that I'd rank much higher than him.

6 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I'm 50-50. I hated it when Dude mentioned him months ago. I've warmed up to it because Domi has made the best of it on an absolutely terrible Chicago team. He might be a good pull for 4C or mid-6 wing flex when/if needed.

The issue with Domi is that his stats are very inflated due to overplaying. It’s still not a bad trade option in a lower tier of trade options. 

29 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

In 14 playoff games last season he had 3g, 3a with 10 mins TOI. That included 2g, 1a in Game 7 vs. BOS.

So you could say he's a big game performer, or that he had half of his points in one game - depends on what kind of argument you want to make. In any case, that's pretty good for a 4th liner. 

He's getting 1st line minutes in Chicago, so that's partially why his production is up significantly. So you're definitely dealing for an inflated asset. 

fair enough. Realistically though if we're getting a 4th line guy to bolster the depth, I'd rather bring back Motte or someone of that ilk

14 minutes ago, Keirik said:

The issue with Domi is that his stats are very inflated due to overplaying. It’s still not a bad trade option in a lower tier of trade options. 

They are for sure. He does have some

bite to his game though too. I’m not thrilled about it, but he’s infinitely better than AHL Lechyschysnhdiekanz

• Bullseye 1