• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Bruins Sign Then Rescind Offer to Mitchell Miller After Backlash Among Fans, Bruins' Players

jsm7302

• Phil changed the title to Boston Bruins Players React to Mitchell Miller Signing: 'Hard for us to swallow'

I remember this kid's situation coming out last year or whenever but I don't remember the details of what he did.  I assume it was something racial or homophobic.  That said, I'm sure no one here would agree that their own lives should be ruined by something they did in the 8th grade.  I know I wouldn't.  I was a much different person when I was 18-20 than I was when I was 13-14.  I'm sure the same goes for most people.  

37 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I remember this kid's situation coming out last year or whenever but I don't remember the details of what he did.  I assume it was something racial or homophobic.  That said, I'm sure no one here would agree that their own lives should be ruined by something they did in the 8th grade.  I know I wouldn't.  I was a much different person when I was 18-20 than I was when I was 13-14.  I'm sure the same goes for most people.  

I agree but from what I read his behavior supposedly continued throughout high school til he was older. But that’s just hearsay. The NHL should do due diligence here, but they should make sure to deal with the facts of the situation. I have no faith that the public or the people writing articles either bashing Miller or promoting a second chance for Miller actually know the facts.

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

I agree but from what I read his behavior supposedly continued throughout high school til he was older. But that’s just hearsay. The NHL should do due diligence here, but they should make sure to deal with the facts of the situation. I have no faith that the public or the people writing articles either bashing Miller or promoting a second chance for Miller actually know the facts.

That's fine.  I don't know shit about fuck when it comes to this kid.  If he is still a little dick head then he can kick rocks.  You reap what you sow.

5 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That being said, as long as it isn't our club giving him a shot.  Seems kind of Bostonish to do something like this 🤣

It’s actually pretty funny hearing the Bruins players talk about values and such, while they play for and make all their money in front of probably one of the most racist fan bases in the country. Pretty well documented on the Red Sox and the same fans are backing the Bruins so…

• Like 1

I’m a little torn on this topic. We had a similar one with another draft pick recently iirc but that was about sharing a private image.

I don’t really believe anyones entire life should be cancelled from something they do as a kid. However, this is pretty egregious. Playing in the NHL is a privilege and not a right. There are codes of morals and ethics that need to be proven in certain fields. He  still has a very long road that’s he’s going to need to prove at every step. It doesn’t just end because he went through counseling. 

• Applause 1

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

I’m a little torn on this topic. We had a similar one with another draft pick recently iirc but that was about sharing a private image.

I don’t really believe anyones entire life should be cancelled from something they do as a kid. However, this is pretty egregious. Playing in the NHL is a privilege and not a right. There are codes of morals and ethics that need to be proven in certain fields. He  still has a very long road that’s he’s going to need to prove at every step. It doesn’t just end because he went through counseling. 

Bettman getting on his high horse here is a bit much. This guy did this  awful stuff at 14,so  in most US jurisdictions he's a juvenile offender, which is not the same of being an adult convicted of a felony. In some cases, after completing probation or any court-ordered programs, such convictions can be expunged. And such people can become attorneys, cops, military. Unless the NHL has a matrix regarding offenses and how they impact eligibilty, this looks arbitrary. Recall Craig Mactavish and Danny Heatley both were suspended for killing people in DWI accidents, and Don Murdoch was suspended for half a season for criminal possession of cocaine. All returned to play in the NHL. 

Sounds like he is a bad guy, but you are depriving him of his ability to earn a living without specific parameters beyond...makes Gary Bettman unhappy. 

27 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Bettman getting on his high horse here is a bit much. This guy did this  awful stuff at 14,so  in most US jurisdictions he's a juvenile offender, which is not the same of being an adult convicted of a felony. In some cases, after completing probation or any court-ordered programs, such convictions can be expunged. And such people can become attorneys, cops, military. Unless the NHL has a matrix regarding offenses and how they impact eligibilty, this looks arbitrary. Recall Craig Mactavish and Danny Heatley both were suspended for killing people in DWI accidents, and Don Murdoch was suspended for half a season for criminal possession of cocaine. All returned to play in the NHL. 

Sounds like he is a bad guy, but you are depriving him of his ability to earn a living without specific parameters beyond...makes Gary Bettman unhappy. 

Who cares what the league did decades ago?  

Depriving him of making a living?  So it's either hockey or homeless for him?

7 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Who cares what the league did decades ago?  

Depriving him of making a living?  So it's either hockey or homeless for him?

Fair enough; what is the perosnal code of conduct for NHL players? What is the schedule for offenses, be they criminal or on ice, and penalties for each?  Is there one at all? 

22 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

It’s also not only the stuff he did when he was 14. It’s that he’s shown no remorse, and made no attempts to make amends. Yeah, if the kid is a piece of shit and continues to be, I don’t feel bad that he isn’t extended the privilege of playing in the NHL. 

Bingo. He can make a living, for now and the foreseeable future he doesn't have the privilege of possibly playing in the NHL.  Brutal the Bruins didn't do their homework here and good on the players not holding back and speaking up about how big of a mistake they thought the signing was.  Neely comes off looking like a huge clown here.

Neely Explains Walking Away From Prick

BOSTON - Bruins President Cam Neely announced today, November 6, that the Boston Bruins will part ways with Mitchell Miller.

Statement from Bruins President Cam Neely:

"Today the Boston Bruins have decided to part ways with Mitchell Miller, effective immediately. 

The decision to sign this young man was made after careful consideration of the facts as we were aware of them: that at 14-years-old he made a poor decision that led to a juvenile conviction. We understood this to be an isolated incident and that he had taken meaningful action to reform and was committed to ongoing personal development. Based on that understanding we offered him a contract.

Based on new information, we believe it is the best decision at this time to rescind the opportunity for Mitchell Miller to represent the Boston Bruins. We hope that he continues to work with professionals and programs to further his education and personal growth.

We owe it to our fans, players, staff, partners and community to make sure that our practices and protocols are in keeping with the ethos that we demand from ourselves and as an organization. As such, we will be reevaluating our internal processes for vetting individuals who wish to earn the privilege of playing in the National Hockey League for the Boston Bruins.

We are sorry that this decision has overshadowed the incredible work the members of our organization do to support diversity and inclusion efforts. We will continue to stand against bullying and racism in all of its forms.

To Isaiah and his family, my deepest apologies if this signing made you and other victims feel unseen and unheard. We apologize for the deep hurt and impact we have caused.

Finally, as a father, I think there is a lesson to be learned here for other young people. Be mindful of careless behaviors and going with the group mentality of hurting others. The repercussions can be felt for a lifetime."

Edited by jsrangers

One of the wisest men I've ever known said something to me around ten years ago when we were talking about a similar incident and I have always been on the "one stupid thing as a kid shouldn't ruin your life" train until he said it; now I am firmly planted on the other side. Here is that quote:

"When your balls drop, you're old enough to ruin your own son's life for one dumb thing you did, that's about when you should be held fully accountable for your actions to other people. If we don't on Earth, God will."

I'm not religious but it really stuck with me.

• Phil changed the title to Bruins Sign Then Rescind Offer to Mitchell Miller After Backlash Among Fans, Bruins' Players

Craig MacTavish killed a guy and played 14 more season AFTER (including winning a fairly important draw at the Garden in a fairly important game) 

the kid was a twat for sure. But if he’s legitimately remorseful and “changed”, he has paid his debt for what he did in 8th grade.. this seems like a bit of an over correction- again- as long as he’s changed and learned.

Shit- his value as a living breathing bully is invaluable. hearing from those bullied are important in the dialogue, hearing from the bully might even be more impactful. 

2 minutes ago, Flynn said:

Craig MacTavish killed a guy and played 14 more season AFTER (including winning a fairly important draw at the Garden in a fairly important game) 

the kid was a twat for sure. But if he’s legitimately remorseful and “changed”, he has paid his debt for what he did in 8th grade.. this seems like a bit of an over correction- again- as long as he’s changed and learned.

Shit- his value as a living breathing bully is invaluable. hearing from those bullied are important in the dialogue, hearing from the bully might even be more impactful. 

Only if he's genuinely repentant and looking to use his experience as a teachable moment to future generations.

Based on what I've read since this story broke, I'm not seeing much here to suggest he's that candidate. I'm sure he's sorry for what he did, but the question is, is he sorry because he's paying the price for it, or sorry because he's actually remorseful? If I'm reading the NHL tea leaves right here, it sure sounds like it's the former, not the latter, so I can understand the league's refusal to effectively reward him for being a Grade-A piece of shit human.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Only if he's genuinely repentant and looking to use his experience as a teachable moment to future generations.

Based on what I've read since this story broke, I'm not seeing much here to suggest he's that candidate. I'm sure he's sorry for what he did, but the question is, is he sorry because he's paying the price for it, or sorry because he's actually remorseful? If I'm reading the NHL tea leaves right here, it sure sounds like it's the former, not the latter, so I can understand the league's refusal to effectively reward him for being a Grade-A piece of shit human.

For sure, it was some really repugnant stuff..  if he is legitimate in his remorse it’s been mismanaged. If he’s sorry because he got caught, fuck him. 

I’m forcefully  trying to get a little more open minded with old age, but it’s hard for me to get away from thinking that zebras don’t change their stripes.