• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Bruins Sign Then Rescind Offer to Mitchell Miller After Backlash Among Fans, Bruins' Players

jsm7302

56 minutes ago, Flynn said:

Craig MacTavish killed a guy and played 14 more season AFTER (including winning a fairly important draw at the Garden in a fairly important game) 

the kid was a twat for sure. But if he’s legitimately remorseful and “changed”, he has paid his debt for what he did in 8th grade.. this seems like a bit of an over correction- again- as long as he’s changed and learned.

Shit- his value as a living breathing bully is invaluable. hearing from those bullied are important in the dialogue, hearing from the bully might even be more impactful. 

he did pretty fucked up shit.  Mean shit

Was listening to the Daily Faceoff podcast where they talked about this and from what I understand (based on what they discussed)

Miller spent years racially abusing a disabled kid, calling him racial slurs since they were even younger children. You learn that behaviour from your parents. While other people involved in the bullying expressed remorse and apologized, Miller only ever sent a recent apology over snapchat a couple weeks ago when he probably knew he might get another NHL chance. In statements they have touted Miller's volunteer work to show he's become a better person while neglecting to mention that it was all court-ordered community service. His agent also touted how a charitable organization considered working with him (but didn't) as proof of turning a new leaf

seems like all damage control by someone who isn't actually sorry for their past actions, just sorry for the consequences they have to face and refusing to accept responsibility. 

remember, playing in the NHL isnt a right, it's a privilege. Seems like the Bruins did little to no homework on this and now they have egg on their faces. the players were pissed about it and Cam Neely sends his GM who actually publicly said it was a bad idea to sign him out to face the wolves instead of facing the music for what seems like was a decision he pushed through.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

50 minutes ago, Flynn said:

For sure, it was some really repugnant stuff..  if he is legitimate in his remorse it’s been mismanaged. If he’s sorry because he got caught, fuck him. 

I’m forcefully  trying to get a little more open minded with old age, but it’s hard for me to get away from thinking that zebras don’t change their stripes. 

I saw that his parents are going around retweeting people who tweet that he should be allowed to play for whatver reasons. 

Ill loosely quote Trailer Park Boys here. Shit apples don't fall far from the shit tree. If what I've read is correct, the racial abuse of this kid has been going on for many years, not just a couple of times when he was 14. this is learned behaviour. and if their parents are spending more energy trying to keep their son from facing any consequences instead of teaching him to be better, than the zebra's stripes are not gonna change and are very much inherited 

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Flynn said:

For sure, it was some really repugnant stuff..  if he is legitimate in his remorse it’s been mismanaged. If he’s sorry because he got caught, fuck him. 

I’m forcefully  trying to get a little more open minded with old age, but it’s hard for me to get away from thinking that zebras don’t change their stripes.

Certainly not without the incentive of pain — like the pain of watching your future NHL career go up in smoke because you're an open racist and bully.

For the record, I recoil at the cancel culture, banned-for-life-style of repudiating these events. I think everyone deserves a second chance, but that chance has to come as the result of humility (as opposed to humiliation) and a genuine desire for the individual to want to rehabilitate their own image. As of this moment, I have no idea what to think of Miller or his position on any of this. But the public probably needs to see or hear more on this before he can begin to think about a potential career in the NHL in the future.

• Applause 1

14 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I saw that his parents are going around retweeting people who tweet that he should be allowed to play for whatver reasons. 

Ill loosely quote Trailer Park Boys here. Shit apples don't fall far from the shit tree. If what I've read is correct, the racial abuse of this kid has been going on for many years, not just a couple of times when he was 14. this is learned behaviour. and if their parents are spending more energy trying to keep their son from facing any consequences instead of teaching him to be better, than the zebra's stripes are not gonna change and are very much inherited 

Racism is also taught/learned, so if a 14-year-old bully felt empowered to humiliate his victim and call him racial epithets, I find it really hard to believe that came out of nowhere.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Flynn said:

Craig MacTavish killed a guy and played 14 more season AFTER (including winning a fairly important draw at the Garden in a fairly important game) 

the kid was a twat for sure. But if he’s legitimately remorseful and “changed”, he has paid his debt for what he did in 8th grade.. this seems like a bit of an over correction- again- as long as he’s changed and learned.

Shit- his value as a living breathing bully is invaluable. hearing from those bullied are important in the dialogue, hearing from the bully might even be more impactful. 

Probably killed an unemployed white guy.

like Dany Heatley did.

but since the bullying was deemed “worse” maybe we should go with all the team Canada rapes? 

Patrick kanes arrests.

how about rick Tochett who sits behind a desk that advertises sports betting, ironically?

Didnt Montgomery lose his job for an undisclosed sexual harassment case only to win a cup with St. Louis? 

again, good ole boys club. You’re in or you’re out. The others were already grandfathered in. 

it’s like the department of player safety wheel of justice 

3 hours ago, josh said:

Probably killed an unemployed white guy.

like Dany Heatley did.

but since the bullying was deemed “worse” maybe we should go with all the team Canada rapes? 

Patrick kanes arrests.

how about rick Tochett who sits behind a desk that advertises sports betting, ironically?

Didnt Montgomery lose his job for an undisclosed sexual harassment case only to win a cup with St. Louis? 

again, good ole boys club. You’re in or you’re out. The others were already grandfathered in. 

it’s like the department of player safety wheel of justice 

What you’re saying isn’t necessarily wrong in most ways but I don’t think it’s fair to use old examples as comparison to acceptable behavior today. I’m not even sure it’s fair to use any examples of different behavior.  Is it wrong that we’ve raised the bar as a society and culture that we have to continually conform to years/decades past lowest common denominator? 

I hate cancel culture. Mostly because it doesn’t even always fact check until it’s way too late to even matter to fact check. But as it’s already been said here, playing in this league is a privilege, not a god given right. If you have a past that includes potentially years of unacceptable behavior, certain career paths just might not open for you. It’s no different than being disqualified during a background check for a multitude of careers in civil service. The Bruins needed to do a better job of investigating him. Plenty of other leagues/careers for this young man to try. 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

Let’s start by establishing that nothing in my post was wrong.

The problem in this entire situation is that the first part of your post and the second part of your post are contradicting eachother, especially in a response to my post.

Kane is still in the league. An all star last year, probably.  (Not to mention the other Kane and those issues)

tochett is on a Panel now, joined after the Miller incidents, when betting on the NHL was illegal, and still is for players and staff. They literally chose him to represent the league (and Milbury before him!).

montgomery is the head coach in… *checks notes* oh wow… and that all that was when *checks notes* oh wow… after the Miller incidents?!? *gasp!* 

you also ignored the ongoing team Canada issues - who got the cover of NHL23 this season - cool!

2 minutes ago, Keirik said:

What you’re saying isn’t necessarily wrong in most ways but I don’t think it’s fair to use old examples as comparison to acceptable behavior today. I’m not even sure it’s fair to use any examples of different behavior.  Is it wrong that we’ve raised the bar as a society and culture that we have to continually conform to years/decades past lowest common denominator? 

I hate cancel culture. Mostly because it doesn’t even always fact check until it’s way too late to even matter to fact check. But as it’s already been said here, playing in this league is a privilege, not a god given right. If you have a past that includes potentially years of unacceptable behavior, certain career paths just might not open for you. It’s no different than being disqualified during a background check for a multitude of careers in civil service. The Bruins needed to do a better job of investigating him. Plenty of other leagues/careers for this young man to try. 

2 minutes ago, josh said:

The problem in this entire situation is that the first part of your post and the second part of your post are contradicting eachother, especially in a response to my post.

Kane is still in the league. An all star last year, probably.  (Not to mention the other Kane and those issues)

tochett is on a Panel now, joined after the Miller incidents, when betting on the NHL was illegal, and still is for players and staff. They literally chose him to represent the league (and Milbury before him!).

montgomery is the head coach in… *checks notes* oh wow… and that all that was when *checks notes* oh wow… after the Miller incidents?!? *gasp!* 

you also ignored the ongoing team Canada issues - who got the cover of NHL23 this season - cool!

Honestly,let’s start with this.  Is it possible for you to reply to me without the diatribe or attitude behind it? It’s a conversation on varying opinions, not a “checks notes I have to win the internet” argument. 

A juvenile court of law found him delinquent of assault and violating the Ohio Safe Schools Act while a junior in high school for his acts towards a mentally challenged African American disabled student. There’s surveillance of him punching and kicking the kid. Racist names thrown at the kid, allegedly for years. Making him lick candy that was in a toilet bowl. This is absolutely disgusting behavior. Sorry, sometimes that behavior alone does close doors. Believe me, if my background check included things like this, I wouldn’t have been hired in my career. The “I was a teenager, I’m over that. Just look at how I finished my court ordered community service” wouldn’t fly as an acceptable explanation to allow me to the next step. 

There is a distinct difference between joining the league and turning into a shithead and bringing your shitheadiness with you. That’s not just in the NHL but it’s in a whole lot of aspects of life. Is it always right? No. It still has zero to do with this situation. 

Im not ignoring other situations. I’m explaining that we don’t lower the bar even further just because there are other areas it needs to be set higher. 

• Like 2
  • Bullseye 1

Must be those “old examples” I listed, most of which happened after the Miller incident. 

they are STILL protecting players Ana’s management who participated in acts/actions that also violate the same league policies they are using against this kid. There is no rhyme or reason, which is exactly why it’s an ole boys club. 

14 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Honestly,let’s start with this.  Is it possible for you to reply to me without the diatribe or attitude behind it? It’s a conversation on varying opinions, not a “checks notes I have to win the internet” argument. 

A juvenile court of law found him delinquent of assault and violating the Ohio Safe Schools Act while a junior in high school for his acts towards a mentally challenged African American disabled student. There’s surveillance of him punching and kicking the kid. Racist names thrown at the kid, allegedly for years. Making him lick candy that was in a toilet bowl. This is absolutely disgusting behavior. Sorry, sometimes that behavior alone does close doors. Believe me, if my background check included things like this, I wouldn’t have been hired in my career. The “I was a teenager, I’m over that. Just look at how I finished my court ordered community service” wouldn’t fly as an acceptable explanation to allow me to the next step. 

There is a distinct difference between joining the league and turning into a shithead and bringing your shitheadiness with you. That’s not just in the NHL but it’s in a whole lot of aspects of life. Is it always right? No. It still has zero to do with this situation. 

Im not ignoring other situations. I’m explaining that we don’t lower the bar even further just because there are other areas it needs to be set higher. 

Ohhhhhh that's right now I remember this piece of shit.  Yea, fuck this kid.  Kick rocks douchebag.

• Applause 1

I should note I really don’t care about this kid. It’s more the professional side of my life weighing in.

kinda like how the NYS division of human rights doesn’t allow you to disqualify someone for employment solely based on committing a crime. Most likely, nowadays, that wouldn’t prevent you from getting your job. Unfortunately, I’m being serious when I say that. 

Just now, josh said:

I should note I really don’t care about this kid. It’s more the professional side of my life weighing in.

kinda like how the NYS division of human rights doesn’t allow you to disqualify someone for employment solely based on committing a crime. Most likely, nowadays, that wouldn’t prevent you from getting your job. Unfortunately, I’m being serious when I say that. 

Look, this is why I prefaced my original post with “what you’re saying isn’t necessarily wrong.” I get it. I think there is a lot else wrong with pro sports, but that was bound to happen in any strong union profession. Donald Febr.  Members get protected, to some ridiculous extremes at times. I’ve seen both sides of it in my own profession. I was fortunate to only once need union help and I ended up just taking care of it myself in a more rational way rather than listen to my reps idiotic advice. 

13 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Look, this is why I prefaced my original post with “what you’re saying isn’t necessarily wrong.” I get it. I think there is a lot else wrong with pro sports, but that was bound to happen in any strong union profession. Donald Febr.  Members get protected, to some ridiculous extremes at times. I’ve seen both sides of it in my own profession. I was fortunate to only once need union help and I ended up just taking care of it myself in a more rational way rather than listen to my reps idiotic advice. 

We know. 
you crossed the line recently, and it shows! 

i loved loved loved going against the union in hearings and court. They’re so predictable. Protecting the unions reps income, and nothing else. Getting a case thrown out in the first few minutes…

f21d02b3-25e7-4aab-9925-87cdc67cc504_tex

• LMFAO 1

11 hours ago, josh said:

It's fair to call out that there is a triple standard in the NHL when it comes to who or what gets protected. It's very clear that sexual predators get protected by the NHL and the powers that be. It's very clear that criminals who make serious errors in judgment get second chances. Drug users do too, but that's not really controversial nor should it be. It's also been - at least historically - the case that racists in the NHL get that second chance too, so I'm glad to see the NHL draw a line on something, somewhere, to move the needle just a little bit in the right direction. Even if it is historically unfair, it's the right call and person to make an example of, especially as hockey continues to grow and hockey culture continues to (painstakingly and slowly) erode its old boys club mentality around race and sexuality. 

I'm of a mind similar to Phil in that if he's shown genuine remorse, he's changed as a person, he's doing the work to make sure the next kids know better? Have your shot, kid. But by all accounts, we're not talking about an isolated incident, we're not talking about genuine remorse, we're not talking about this guy being a better person than he was. Dude's a shithead who should know better and should have known better, didn't, and hasn't changed. Why bother with a second chance here?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1