• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Bruins Sign Then Rescind Offer to Mitchell Miller After Backlash Among Fans, Bruins' Players

jsm7302

1 hour ago, Flynn said:

I read all kinds of stuff about this site this morning. 

Fuck this kid. He can go live the life in the KHL. 

I was all for letting this kid live, but you can't let this kind of person have advantages of station and platform. 

Let the world know that racism and bullying even at a young age will cost you. 

I'll start by saying I condemn bullying and acts of racism. This whole situation made me sit down with my 6 and 8 year old and explain the longevity of consequences and reminded them of our house rules to be kind and help others. We spoke about celebrating differences and helping those who need assistance as opposed to pointing out and making fun of people's differencea. We also talked about not allowing the actions of others to sway us into making poor decisions.

I chose to have those conversations as a parent. Mitchell Miller committed terrible acts of racism and bullying from ages 6 through 13. Everyone wants a pound of flesh for decisions this child made when his brain was barely half developed. This issue should be out back on his parents. If he can show he willfully has made choices to show he learned the error of his ways and takes responsibility for it then he should be able to move on with his life.

This cancel culture is out of hand. There may be no amount of justice acceptable for his victim or his victims family. Some people don't have it in them to forgive.

We live in a time where everything is documented and nothing is forgotten and any mistake you make can be called on the carpet at any point in your life. This is crazy. Humans change. Humans make progress. We should be urging people to make progress and not holding people back with their feet to the fire for eternity.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I'll start by saying I condemn bullying and acts of racism. This whole situation made me sit down with my 6 and 8 year old and explain the longevity of consequences and reminded them of our house rules to be kind and help others. We spoke about celebrating differences and helping those who need assistance as opposed to pointing out and making fun of people's differencea. We also talked about not allowing the actions of others to sway us into making poor decisions.

I chose to have those conversations as a parent. Mitchell Miller committed terrible acts of racism and bullying from ages 6 through 13. Everyone wants a pound of flesh for decisions this child made when his brain was barely half developed. This issue should be out back on his parents. If he can show he willfully has made choices to show he learned the error of his ways and takes responsibility for it then he should be able to move on with his life.

This cancel culture is out of hand. There may be no amount of justice acceptable for his victim or his victims family. Some people don't have it in them to forgive.

We live in a time where everything is documented and nothing is forgotten and any mistake you make can be called on the carpet at any point in your life. This is crazy. Humans change. Humans make progress. We should be urging people to make progress and not holding people back with their feet to the fire for eternity.

This is all fine and well, butgoing back to the point a few of us have made in this thread- forgiveness isn’t automatically given after a certain amount of time. You have to work for it. Show that you’re different now. 

22 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Here's my issue with people that say "cancel culture is out of hand".  "Cancel culture" is a term generally used for celebrities (which includes athletes these days).  Well, these people are famous, rich, and privileged (potentially rich and privileged in this case) because fans want to spend money to see them.  If you outrage the fanbase then yes, they cancel you and deservedly so.  It's part of the business.  As a Human he isn't cancelled.  Cool make progress and change as a human kid and then go be a bank teller, or stock shelves at Costco, but you lost your shot at being a famous, rich, and privileged NHL player.

• Keeps it 100 2

25 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

And Miller hasn't. At all. Except a snapchat apology.

The victims statement says Mitchell reached out and apologized between the two of them regardless of the media used to do so. The victim wouldn't answer more traditional means of communication nor should he have to. The victim also doesn't have to accept the apology but at the same time Mitchell has no need to prove anything to him. The victim doesn't rule how someone apologizes nor drive the rules how someone else may live.

Miller also read an apology in court which he did NOT have to do. So to say he hasn't apologized outside of Snapchat is incorrect. I'm scratching my head and trying to see where the rules for apologizing are held.

As we have seen through out the past decade, a single victim speaking out is usually the crux for more victims to come forward. If this has not happened in Mitchell's case, I'd give a fair shake that he probably has not continued his condemned activities he was committing from ages 6-12.

"Cancel culture is a marketing spin on being held responsible for your actions by the general public." I agree, but my issue is the stone throwing from glass houses. Everyone has made mistakes, a road to redemption should exist.

The public wants to cancel people; cancel those with no remorse or continue to claim innocence when they have been proven guilty.

And the road to redemption exists. Guys like Aziz Ansari persevered despite being thrown under the Me Too bus with an accusation that I believe proved untrue. And Louis CK has continued his career as well, and has started the circuit again, though he has actually been using what he's done as his comedy routine and continues to be disgusting. In those cases, I'll continue to support Aziz because I like what he does, and I'll never see Louis or any of his work again because he's shown he's not actually remorseful. It's not a "road ends here" thing. It continues, so show improvement.

Edited by Cash or Czech

32 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

And the road to redemption exists. Guys like Aziz Ansari persevered despite being thrown under the Me Too bus with an accusation that I believe proved untrue. And Louis CK has continued his career as well, and has started the circuit again, though he has actually been using what he's done as his comedy routine and continues to be disgusting. In those cases, I'll continue to support Aziz because I like what he does, and I'll never see Louis or any of his work again because he's shown he's not actually remorseful. It's not a "road ends here" thing. It continues, so show improvement.

I was a big Louis CK fan. Can't even look at the dude anymore. Still filthy; was hoping for more from him coming back. Same, I won't waste $$ on him. Great example.

3 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

2 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

I was a big Louis CK fan. Can't even look at the dude anymore. Still filthy; was hoping for more from him coming back. Same, I won't waste $$ on him. Great example.

Comedians are solo acts.  If they can generate money from fans, book shows, and land roles good for them.  Same does not apply when you are representing a league or franchise.

21 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Comedians are solo acts.  If they can generate money from fans, book shows, and land roles good for them.  Same does not apply when you are representing a league or franchise.

This, and this is is welcome to try and get a contract from the Swiss D league. No one is saying he can't play hockey. Only the NHL is. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

This, and this is is welcome to try and get a contract from the Swiss D league. No one is saying he can't play hockey. Only the NHL is. 

Yeah. I'm not even really understanding how there is any disagreement here. Think of the NHL as just thr best version of ANY job. No one is saying Mitchell can't be a hockey player any more than they are saying he can't be a banker, a professor, or whatever. The NHL is just saying he can't be in their league, very much as probably a Goldman Sach would say in their firm, or a Harvard would say on their staff. 

We aren't talking about an isolated mistake. We are talking about years of patterned behavior. And just as the victim doesn't need to forgive Mitchell, the highest level of a professional sport in the world doesn't need to have its doors open and turn a blind eye to adolescent behavior if egregious enough.  He can still make a living elsewhere with his God given talents. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1