• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022-23 Interactive Power Rankings

josh

15 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I said the same thing after G1 somewhere around here.

He’s not been good recently though, which is what the rankings are about. I don’t know how he gets a +1 after last night, especially over Kreider, Kane, Tarasenko, Goodrow, etc. after the games they had. Smells like favoritism.

Bro, you have no rights in this thread to talk about favoritism when you've been geesing Chytil at inopportune times all season.

Miller is more important to this team than Motte, Lafreniere, and a handful of others currrently sitting above him. I watched both games and Miller is leading the team in TOI in games they've won by a collective score of 10-2. His mistakes are magnified because he plays important minutes in crucial situations (like Fox).

Also the reactions by 75% of the people here are 75% overblown. There is not one team in the NHL who wouldn't want Miller on their defense, despite the warts. If there's any undeserved bias, it's the bias against him. He's fantastic and a budding star.

Edited by Pete

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

I am LOL. Schneider has 2 RD ahead of him and plays sheltered minutes.

Miller plays top minutes, produces, and who else is on LD? Mikkola and Harpur? Not who I'd want moving up in the playoffs.

I was not looking specifically at LD.

My point was that if things get chippy you'd much rather have Schneider on the ice than Miller.  Again, that's just an overall chemistry thing.  There's no doubt that right now Miller is more talented but I'm not 100% sure that Miller's overall contributions are more important to the Rangers right now than Schneider's.

Just now, Br4d said:

I was not looking specifically at LD.

My point was that if things get chippy you'd much rather have Schneider on the ice than Miller. 

OK, so the 10% of the time it get's chippy?

Again, that's just an overall chemistry thing.  There's no doubt that right now Miller is more talented but I'm not 100% sure that Miller's overall contributions are more important to the Rangers right now than Schneider's.

The rest of the world is 100% sure.

Just now, Pete said:

Miller is more important to this team than Motte, Lafreniere, and a handful of others currrently sitting above him.

That is totally irrelevant tho. If this was a "who's most important for the team" ranking there wouldn't be any movement at all.

It's "who's been best recently" and Miller has not been great. Yes he's played most minutes the first two games, but he's not been dominating by any means. Giving him a +1 is okay, but I don't think he's valued too low relative to his performance recently.

• Applause 1

19 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I said the same thing after G1 somewhere around here.

He’s not been good recently though, which is what the rankings are about. I don’t know how he gets a +1 after last night, especially over Kreider, Kane, Tarasenko, Goodrow, etc. after the games they had. Smells like favoritism.

I moved up Kane. Others moved up or will move up the other players.

1 minute ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

That is totally irrelevant tho. If this was a "who's most important for the team" ranking there wouldn't be any movement at all.

It's "who's been best recently" and Miller has not been great. Yes he's played most minutes the first two games, but he's not been dominating by any means. Giving him a +1 is okay, but I don't think he's valued too low relative to his performance recently.

The only people who think this live on this board. It's bullshit group think that I don't subscribe to.

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Bro, you have no rights in this thread to talk about favoritism when you've been geesing Chytil at inopportune times all season.

Miller is more important to this team than Motte, Lafreniere, and a handful of others currrently sitting above him. I watched both games and Miller is leading the team in TOI in games they've won by a collective score of 10-2. His mistakes are magnified because he plays important minutes in crucial situations (like Fox).

Also the reactions by 75% of the people here are 75% overblown. There is not one team in the NHL who wouldn't want Miller on their defense, despite the warts. If there's any undeserved bias, it's the bias against him. He's fantastic and a budding star.

You're speaking medium-to-long term and you need to pick a lane. I adapted my view of the rankings based on the discussion over the last page.

Miller moving up after last night and G1 is just weird, especially when choosing to do it after so many actually deserving players played great games last night. He actually hasn't been too good since he got suspended, which is probably why he had worked himself down to where he was in the rankings. It's just a weird move man, especially from the guy who said it was an exercise in recency bias.

4 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

You're speaking medium-to-long term and you need to pick a lane. I adapted my view of the rankings based on the discussion over the last page.

Miller moving up after last night and G1 is just weird, especially when choosing to do it after so many actually deserving players played great games last night. He actually hasn't been too good since he got suspended, which is probably why he had worked himself down to where he was in the rankings. It's just a weird move man, especially from the guy who said it was an exercise in recency bias.

He's playing better and more important hockey than Motte is, right now. And that's who I moved him past.

I also moved Kane. Other users moved other players and you can't move players that have already been moved a couple times.

Edited by Pete

19 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Because despite his poor play, he continues to eat more minutes than anyone else on the team - which might also contribute to the opportunity for more mistakes.

So you acknowledge he has played poorly. It's weird to move up a player playing poorly, but that's just me.

54 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Miller has been the worst defenseman we’ve got the first two games. Game 1 was especially brutal out of him.

Y'know, I meant to post that I thought he picked his game up last night. Still not great, but serviceable. A marked improvement. Hopefully he keeps the momentum going and gets back to his level of last year's playoffs or his mid-season form.

1 minute ago, Cash or Czech said:

Y'know, I meant to post that I thought he picked his game up last night. Still not great, but serviceable. A marked improvement. Hopefully he keeps the momentum going and gets back to his level of last year's playoffs or his mid-season form.

Let's hope. We just need him to play solid defense. We don't need offense from him.

6 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Let's hope. We just need him to play solid defense. We don't need offense from him.

This is an unreasonable point of view though.

Part of what Miller brings to the ice is his ability to facilitate scoring in the offensive end.  Without that he's just a mediocre defenseman whose primary value is his ability to get back in a hurry when the other team is in transition.

Saying that we don't need the offense is dramatically marking down his value because that's a big part of his game.

11 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

So you acknowledge he has played poorly. It's weird to move up a player playing poorly, but that's just me.

Trouba and Miller are playing the toughest minutes on the team, leading the team in TOI and 66% D zone starts. The Devils have 2 goals, last in the playoffs in S/GP. He's not playing poorly. He's getting it done.

14 minutes ago, Br4d said:

This is an unreasonable point of view though.

Part of what Miller brings to the ice is his ability to facilitate scoring in the offensive end.  Without that he's just a mediocre defenseman whose primary value is his ability to get back in a hurry when the other team is in transition.

Saying that we don't need the offense is dramatically marking down his value because that's a big part of his game.

I don't think it's unreasonable to want solid defense out of a 2nd pairing defenseman in the playoffs. Other than the onset of puck fumbling he's experiencing right now, he's been trying to make riskier plays to generate offense at inopportune times when game script doesn't call for it. That's the offense I'm talking about. If he wants to utilize his biggest strength, his speed, to try a rush up the ice when his teammates have plenty of time to cover for him on the backend to do so, have at it, but I shit bricks when the team is in the OZ and he's got the puck on the blue line.

I feel your comment is more geared towards long term value though, which I can agree with. His strength is offense and will probably always be offense. It's just not what the team needs for this run. They need responsible defensive play first.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

I don't think it's unreasonable to want solid defense out of a 2nd pairing defenseman in the playoffs. Other than the onset of puck fumbling he's experiencing right now, he's been trying to make riskier plays to generate offense at inopportune times when game script doesn't call for it. That's the offense I'm talking about. If he wants to utilize his biggest strength, his speed, to try a rush up the ice when his teammates have plenty of time to cover for him on the backend to do so, have at it, but I shit bricks when the team is in the OZ and he's got the puck on the blue line.

I feel your comment is more geared towards long term value though, which I can agree with. His strength is offense and will probably always be offense. It's just not what the team needs for this run. They need responsible defensive play first.

I get what you're saying but asking a defenseman known primarily for speed and offense to instead be a solid defensive player is like asking for a giraffe to be an elephant because right now you need an elephant.

There have been a few plays already in this series where Miller stuck his neck out when we'd all have preferred he had a trunk instead.  Odds are really good that continues to be a thing moving forward this year.

Can Miller really grow into that two-way solid defenseman capable of leading an odd-man rush?  Time will tell.

1. Igor Shesterkin

2. Vladimir Tarasenko 

3. Mika Zibanejad -2

4. Adam Fox 

5. Artemi Panarin

6. Chris Kreider

7. Vincent Trocheck

8. Filip Chytil

9. Ryan Lindgren

10. Patrick Kane

11. Jacob Trouba

12. Kaapo Kakko

13. Alexis Lafrenière

14. K'Andre Miller

15. Barclay Goodrow

16. Tyler Motte

17. Niko Mikkola

18. Jaroslav Halak

19. Jimmy Vesey

20. Braden Schneider

21. Ben Harpur

1. Igor Shesterkin

2. Vladimir Tarasenko 

3. Mika Zibanejad

4. Adam Fox 

5. Artemi Panarin

6. Chris Kreider

7. Vincent Trocheck

8. Filip Chytil

9. Ryan Lindgren

10. Patrick Kane

11. Jacob Trouba

12. K'Andre Miller

13. Kaapo Kakko -1

14. Alexis Lafrenière -1

15. Barclay Goodrow

16. Tyler Motte

17. Niko Mikkola

18. Jaroslav Halak

19. Jimmy Vesey

20. Braden Schneider

21. Ben Harpur

Edited by Pete

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

1. Igor Shesterkin

2. Vladimir Tarasenko 

3. Mika Zibanejad

4. Adam Fox 

5. Artemi Panarin

6. Chris Kreider

7. Vincent Trocheck

8. Filip Chytil

9. Ryan Lindgren

10. Patrick Kane

11. Jacob Trouba

12. K'Andre Miller

13. Kaapo Kakko -1

14. Alexis Lafrenière -1

15. Barclay Goodrow

16. Tyler Motte

17. Niko Mikkola

18. Jaroslav Halak

19. Jimmy Vesey

20. Braden Schneider

21. Ben Harpur

Bro how you gonna -1 two guys who…have done absolutely fuckall. Good move nvm

1. Igor Shesterkin

2. Vladimir Tarasenko 

3. Mika Zibanejad

4. Chris Kreider +2

5. Adam Fox 

6. Artemi Panarin

7. Vincent Trocheck

8. Filip Chytil

9. Ryan Lindgren

10. Patrick Kane

11. Jacob Trouba

12. K'Andre Miller

13. Kaapo Kakko

14. Alexis Lafrenière

15. Barclay Goodrow

16. Tyler Motte

17. Niko Mikkola

18. Jaroslav Halak

19. Jimmy Vesey

20. Braden Schneider

21. Ben Harpur

For those first two games when he should have moved up but didn't.

• Keeps it 100 1

1. Vladimir Tarasenko

2. Igor Shesterkin -1

3. Mika Zibanejad

4. Chris Kreider

5. Adam Fox 

6. Vincent Trocheck

7. Artemi Panarin -1

8. Filip Chytil

9. Ryan Lindgren

10. Patrick Kane

11. Jacob Trouba

12. K'Andre Miller

13. Kaapo Kakko

14. Alexis Lafrenière

15. Barclay Goodrow

16. Tyler Motte

17. Niko Mikkola

18. Jaroslav Halak

19. Jimmy Vesey

20. Braden Schneider

21. Ben Harpur

• Keeps it 100 1

1. Vladimir Tarasenko

2. Igor Shesterkin

3. Chris Kreider

4. Mika Zibanejad -1

5. Adam Fox 

6. Vincent Trocheck

7. Artemi Panarin

8. Filip Chytil

9. Ryan Lindgren

10. Patrick Kane

11. Jacob Trouba

12. K'Andre Miller

13. Kaapo Kakko

14. Barclay Goodrow

15. Alexis Lafrenière -1

16. Tyler Motte

17. Niko Mikkola

18. Jaroslav Halak

19. Jimmy Vesey

20. Braden Schneider

21. Ben Harpur

1. Igor Shesterkin +1

2. Vladimir Tarasenko

3. Chris Kreider

4. Mika Zibanejad 

5. Adam Fox 

6. Vincent Trocheck

7. Artemi Panarin

8. Filip Chytil

9. Ryan Lindgren

10. Patrick Kane

11. Jacob Trouba

12. K'Andre Miller

13. Barclay Goodrow +1

14. Kaapo Kakko

15. Alexis Lafrenière 

16. Tyler Motte

17. Niko Mikkola

18. Jaroslav Halak

19. Jimmy Vesey

20. Braden Schneider

21. Ben Harpur

Igor made some unbelievable saves to only give up 3 goals.  I was tempted to have this as my only move, but wanted to recognize Goodrow for the fight with Kevin Bahl.  Serious size disadvantage and tried to rile up his teammates while it was still 2-0.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1