• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Flames Sign Nazem Kadri to 7-Year/$49M Contract; $7M AAV

LindG1000

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

At the coliseum the last few years, I used to go often to games when it was like 20 a ticket to see out of town teams. Park in tbe super secret Police parking and I also was friends with the guy who’s job it was to flick the switch on the light that told the refs it was a tv timeout. 

good times. 

if you didnt have a gun i'd call you some bad names

31 minutes ago, Pete said:

Only on this forum is the prevailing logic "The fans leave, so let's pick the arena up and move it to where fans are", rather than "develop new fans".

It's far easier to move a nearly billion-dollar facility than to successfully acquire new fans. #justislandersthings

• LOL 2

52 minutes ago, Pete said:

Only on this forum is the prevailing logic "The fans leave, so let's pick the arena up and move it to where fans are", rather than "develop new fans".

I mean.. they were moving anyway and Suffolk is 20 mins from the coliseum anyway 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pete said:

But it makes more sense than "move away from the fans". Only on here can the logic of "move to a more sensible location that is easier for everyone to get to, in areas where there is plenty of undeveloped land, an airport and 3 railroad lines" be considered "not logical". Go you. 

18 minutes ago, The Dude said:

But it makes more sense than "move away from the fans". Only on here can the logic of "move to a more sensible location that is easier for everyone to get to, in areas where there is plenty of undeveloped land, an airport and 3 railroad lines" be considered "not logical". Go you. 

Actually what you said is it's easier for fans who live there to get to... Franchises don't pick up entire arenas and just move them to follow fans, but in any case the Islanders mismanaged the whole thing so it doesn't really matter. 

Edited by Pete

29 minutes ago, Pete said:

Actually what you said is it's easier for fans who live there to get to... Franchises don't pick up entire arenas and just move them to follow fans, but in any case the Islanders mismanaged the whole thing so it doesn't really matter. 

Weird. I thought I said build a new arena. Not pick up a whole arena and move it. 

They were trying for a new arena for a decade. It wasn't some new thought about getting a new home that just developed 2 years ago.

They never even mentioned central or eastern Long Island. A few areas of Long Island have been gentrified or simply been bought up by developers to rip down housing developments, and industrial parks to build mega hubs, shopping areas, and other newer retail space as well as housing along the Ronkonkoma rail line. Most notably at the Ronkonkoma station area. I believe there were/are plans for a minor league stadium/arena to be built as a part of the new development.  It's right next to MacArthur airport too. Perfect area for their needs as well as a fairly large hockey loving community..  There's other areas that make sense too. These areas would cater to a disgruntled fanbase that obviously wanted their team to stay in the Island area. They didn't draw in Brooklyn. Doesn't look promising at Belmont either. 

They mismanaged,  because they didn't cater to the fans. They tried to move into Ranger territory. Just a matter of time before it fails, orrrr the Rangers move into their arena. Lol

6 hours ago, The Dude said:

Weird. I thought I said build a new arena. Not pick up a whole arena and move it. 

They were trying for a new arena for a decade. It wasn't some new thought about getting a new home that just developed 2 years ago.

They never even mentioned central or eastern Long Island. A few areas of Long Island have been gentrified or simply been bought up by developers to rip down housing developments, and industrial parks to build mega hubs, shopping areas, and other newer retail space as well as housing along the Ronkonkoma rail line. Most notably at the Ronkonkoma station area. I believe there were/are plans for a minor league stadium/arena to be built as a part of the new development.  It's right next to MacArthur airport too. Perfect area for their needs as well as a fairly large hockey loving community..  There's other areas that make sense too. These areas would cater to a disgruntled fanbase that obviously wanted their team to stay in the Island area. They didn't draw in Brooklyn. Doesn't look promising at Belmont either. 

They mismanaged,  because they didn't cater to the fans. They tried to move into Ranger territory. Just a matter of time before it fails, orrrr the Rangers move into their arena. Lol

Sure, I get all that. 

But the Islanders aren't the ones choosing. They aren't sole owners of the arena. There are other things happening in that arena besides hockey. There are also zoning laws and bureaucracy and politics and payoffs.

It's not as simple as "Move the arena where the fans find it convenient."

Add into that, they've either sucked or played the most boring hockey imaginable for years, it's easy to see why their bandwagon fans are the way they are. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Dude said:

I grew up right near and still live not far from the Ronkonkoma station.  There is no way the proposed arena(which is being heavily fought against by locals) could support a professional franchise.  Well, maybe the Coyotes lol.  Last I read it is only going to be a 5k-ish seat arena.  That's NCAA/ECHL level seating.  Even if the plans changed back to a pro arena, which one of the proposed plans originally called for, the roads to the area would never be able to support all the traffic without a major overhaul.  Its a great spot as far as geographical location.  A mile from the LIE, 2-3 miles from Sunrise.  LIRR access, regional air access at ISP.  Its just all the roads that get you to that area are all too small and without claiming even more land via imminent domain, which is already happening to a lot of property for this project, there is no room for the roads to be widened to accommodate more traffic.  Honestly I think the biggest reason for this arena is Stony Brook University.  They have a killer hockey program but they're being held back from going NCAA D1 because they don't have an arena.  This gives them that.

If the Isles were to ever come more east, I think the Pilgrim State area would have been their best bet.  Its a real shame that the local government screwed Wang from building his Lighthouse Project with his own money.  That would have been the best thing for that franchise.  Sucks to suck lol.

Edited by SaveByRichter35

9 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I grew up right near and still live not far from the Ronkonkoma station.  There is no way the proposed arena(which is being heavily fought against by locals) could support a professional franchise.  Well, maybe the Coyotes lol.  Last I read it is only going to be a 5k-ish seat arena.  That's NCAA/ECHL level seating.  Even if the plans changed back to a pro arena, which one of the proposed plans originally called for, the roads to the area would never be able to support all the traffic without a major overhaul.  Its a great spot as far as geographical location.  A mile from the LIE, 2-3 miles from Sunrise.  LIRR access, regional air access at ISP.  Its just all the roads that get you to that area are all too small and without claiming even more land via imminent domain, which is already happening to a lot of property for this project, there is no room for the roads to be widened to accommodate more traffic.  Honestly I think the biggest reason for this arena is Stony Brook University.  They have a killer hockey program but they're being held back from going NCAA D1 because they don't have an arena.  This gives them that.

If the Isles were to ever come more east, I think the Pilgrim State area would have been their best bet.  Its a real shame that the local government screwed Wang from building his Lighthouse Project with his own money.  That would have been the best thing for that franchise.  Sucks to suck lol.

I was only giving a  hypothetical location. Though that area could no doubt have the roads revamped to accept arena traffic. I haven't seen the land in 3 years over there, but I'm very familiar with the area. The area by ocean avenue and the south side of the rail hub can be completely revamped to a high volume exit/ intersection. All that industrial park stuff by the airport, the dirt motels along vets and ocean. 

There's spots everywhere to build along the rail road though. Not just Ronkonkoma. Farmingdale by THAT airport has a bunch of available land that should be buildable with a small train station there by Pinelawn that can absolutely be made bigger. Obviously creepy with the cemetery,  but it's the Islanders...

Wyndanch train station had/has quite a bit of empty lots and or attainable garbage industrial land.

Out east too.

Besides stuff by rail lines theres other area's that make sense.  What are they doing with the old Grumman land? You mentioned Pilgrim State grounds. There's also Kingspark. All these malls and big stores are closed. CI, Bayshore, Sunvet malls. Just wastelands of concrete that are eyesores of changing times. 

Since Covid happened there are a LOT of office buildings everywhere that are now empty and look like they may remain empty due to businesses either downsizing, realizing their employees can work from home (why lease a space you don't need), or just went under. Melville/Farmingdale, Hauppauge, Medford all have industrial parks that are likely half empty. 

There's so much run down garbage area's of central and eastern Long Island that could be better landing spots for an arena. 

Why not by where the Ducks play? Alllll that land that was part of CI hospital grounds, not just Pilgrim..

Just saying. I don't understand why better locations were never thought of or ventured. 

Edited by The Dude
  • Like 1

Ultimately, it was Dolan who rescued them, and I doubt he had any interest in Suffolk.

Let them stew in their juices in Elmont; it will just take a little longer than Brooklyn to establish that it is not a good location.  

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 5:41 PM, The Dude said:

I was only giving a  hypothetical location. Though that area could no doubt have the roads revamped to accept arena traffic. I haven't seen the land in 3 years over there, but I'm very familiar with the area. The area by ocean avenue and the south side of the rail hub can be completely revamped to a high volume exit/ intersection. All that industrial park stuff by the airport, the dirt motels along vets and ocean. 

There's spots everywhere to build along the rail road though. Not just Ronkonkoma. Farmingdale by THAT airport has a bunch of available land that should be buildable with a small train station there by Pinelawn that can absolutely be made bigger. Obviously creepy with the cemetery,  but it's the Islanders...

Wyndanch train station had/has quite a bit of empty lots and or attainable garbage industrial land.

Out east too.

Besides stuff by rail lines theres other area's that make sense.  What are they doing with the old Grumman land? You mentioned Pilgrim State grounds. There's also Kingspark. All these malls and big stores are closed. CI, Bayshore, Sunvet malls. Just wastelands of concrete that are eyesores of changing times. 

Since Covid happened there are a LOT of office buildings everywhere that are now empty and look like they may remain empty due to businesses either downsizing, realizing their employees can work from home (why lease a space you don't need), or just went under. Melville/Farmingdale, Hauppauge, Medford all have industrial parks that are likely half empty. 

There's so much run down garbage area's of central and eastern Long Island that could be better landing spots for an arena. 

Why not by where the Ducks play? Alllll that land that was part of CI hospital grounds, not just Pilgrim..

Just saying. I don't understand why better locations were never thought of or ventured. 

I know you were being hypothetical.  I am just giving real life info to the idea.  As far as the Ronkonkoma Hub plan, it would not be very easy to just add road capacity to the area around the proposed arena without claiming more land to expand them.  We're not talking about Vets nor Ocean Ave.  Its Ronkonkoma Ave/Smithtown Ave south of the LIE that would be the issue.  Agreed that there are so many other areas that could have worked.

On 8/23/2022 at 4:31 PM, Sod16 said:

Admins need to start a contest for the poster who identifies the lowest price sought for an Islanders ticket on the secondary market this year.

Candidates; Coyotes, Thursday, 11/10. Kraken, Tuesday, 2/7, Sens, Tuesday 2/14, or Jets, Wednesday 2/22. 

• 7 months later...
On 8/18/2022 at 8:52 PM, BrooksBurner said:

The deal isn’t that bad. I think the AAV is lower than most thought Kadri would get pre-free agency.

However, if I was a Flames fan, I’d probably be a bit unthrilled with the future being mortgaged on Huberdeau and Kadri. They have basically created a 3 year window or so and their team isn’t really any better on paper with them plus Weegar than with Gaudreau and Tkachuk. I would have preferred a young players/picks haul from a Tkachuk deal, an eventual Lindholm trade, and a rebuild.

And the survey says!

Terrible move and they should have collected assets to rebuild instead. Now they have no direction and are tied long term to two players who aren't worth the contracts they signed less than 12 months ago. Especially Huberdeau. What an unmitigated disaster. It's the kind of thing that gets GMs fired. Treliving's head should be rolling.

Marek and Wyshynski were talking about this on Wysh's weekly hit on JM's Sportsnet show yesterday and I thought JM kinda nailed it when he basically said that he didn't really blame the Flames for trying to backfill as best they could. It's nothing against Huberdeau, but he's not Tkachuk, and losing he and Gaudreau back-to-back like that just tore the heart out of the team. They did a good job of trying, but when you account for Markstrom's collapse, there was just no surviving this.

And it's mostly that. Their failure this season can be squarely placed on garbage goaltending.

1 hour ago, Sod16 said:

It annoys me that the Islanders dodged a bullet when their Kadri deal fell through, which thus opened the door for a younger better player in Horvat.

Have you checked his stats since the trade? Basically cut his points per game in half. 

1 hour ago, Sod16 said:

It annoys me that the Islanders dodged a bullet when their Kadri deal fell through, which thus opened the door for a younger better player in Horvat.

Yeah, at the cost they signed for, I'd rather have Kadri.