• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Flames Sign Nazem Kadri to 7-Year/$49M Contract; $7M AAV

LindG1000

Do you love casual racism, ugly accents, heavy traffic, and unaffordable housing? Boy, do we have the answer for you. COME TO LONG ISLAND! As a bonus, we'll throw in a free Target Circle™ Rewards program membership for six months and a $100 gift card to Starbucks (good for about four drinks).

• LMFAO 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Wherever it is, it also sucks. 🤣

Lol so weird you have such a disdain for Long Island. I love it, but I’m on the North Shore. I really dislike central LI and the south shore. It’s like concrete jungle and douchebags everywhere. North shore though is amazing to me. Literally there is a church 5 minutes from me that has bullet holes from the Revolutionary War and is historic as hell from the Washington Spy Ring. 

The village in which I grew up on the North Shore has triple the population that it had in 1960 (Much of LI was near its current population by then).  Not much charm left.  Just the highest property taxes in the nation and people hardened by the rat race to pay those taxes.  

In addition to recalling Revolutionary War lore, older posters can recall the halcyon days on LI before the plague known as the Islanders (and their fans) existed.  You could stop by Warren Eckel's Sport Shop in Syosset and talk about the Rangers game the night before without the foul stench of Islanders fans driving you out.

10 hours ago, Keirik said:

Lol so weird you have such a disdain for Long Island. I love it, but I’m on the North Shore. I really dislike central LI and the south shore. It’s like concrete jungle and douchebags everywhere. North shore though is amazing to me. Literally there is a church 5 minutes from me that has bullet holes from the Revolutionary War and is historic as hell from the Washington Spy Ring. 

I mean, you're not wrong about that. It's like the US in a lot of ways. LIE is the Mason-Dixen line. North shore is generally richer and less shitty, but it's still Long Island.

20 hours ago, Tonybologna said:

Always happy to see the Islanders and Islander fans suffer. But as a Long Island native and a now Queens resident, should I be offended no one wants to go there? 🤔

Anyone who plays on the island usually loves it here. It’s more an issue with how terrible the organization is and I wouldn’t be surprised if many don’t want to play for Lou. 

At a loss why they were so disinclined to embrace  Brooklyn. Understand the arena had issues, but they did nothing to try to get it addressed. Biased that I'm from and still living in Brooklyn and hate the Islanders. Barclays has great transit access, and lots of good restaurants and bars all around Barclays. But Islanders insisted on keeping team and practice facilities on LI, that was never going to work. 

And the UBS site is so poorly thought out; traffic nightmare weeknights, no transit, lousy parking. Why they did take Wang's offer to build "Lighthouse" and be done with it, will never understand. The Coliseum area is central to most of LI, but was very mangeable. 

Edited by Bugg
  • Like 1

Building the same arena on the site of the Coliseum would have been a better idea.  It is nearer the center of gravity for their fans, and while it may not be a transit mecca, their fans out on LI are going to be resistant to taking transit to games, anyway.

On 8/20/2022 at 9:16 AM, siddious said:

Anyone who plays on the island usually loves it here. It’s more an issue with how terrible the organization is and I wouldn’t be surprised if many don’t want to play for Lou. 

Funny story about Lou and the kind of petty bullshit he pulls as a GM.  The Islander's EBUG sometimes comes down to my team's practices to work with the goalies.  He was telling us how one day Lou handed him 2 hockey sticks.  He told him to have anyone who came in prior to 10am to autograph this stick and everyone who showed up after 10am to sign another stick.  Everyone who signed the 2nd stick was fined.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Funny story about Lou and the kind of petty bullshit he pulls as a GM.  The Islander's EBUG sometimes comes down to my team's practices to work with the goalies.  He was telling us how one day Lou handed him 2 hockey sticks.  He told him to have anyone who came in prior to 10am to autograph this stick and everyone who showed up after 10am to sign another stick.  Everyone who signed the 2nd stick was fined.

I mean I get disciplining your team when it needs it but it just always seems like he’s doing shit like this. Similar to torts I’m sure it just gets old after a while. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2022 at 12:31 AM, Sod16 said:

Building the same arena on the site of the Coliseum would have been a better idea.  It is nearer the center of gravity for their fans, and while it may not be a transit mecca, their fans out on LI are going to be resistant to taking transit to games, anyway.

The only knock on that location was no LIRR nearby. It’s not AS huge a deal as say in the city where no one drives, but still.

otherwise i agree. My In laws live 5 mins away even on game days you didn’t really notice much traffic outside of the normal at that time. Eisenhower is a 5 min drive if even that. Wang was a wang but Uniondale wasn’t much help either. The town itself isn’t much of a hockey town these days (not sure if it ever really was?)

5 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

i personally would never knock on Lou.  3 cups with NJ.  if he only did that with the Rangers

11 minutes ago, CCCP said:

i personally would never knock on Lou.  3 cups with NJ.  if he only did that with the Rangers

What have you done for me lately? He hasn't won anything in the entire salary cap era. His last Cup was '03. That's going on two decades ago. If every Cup-winning GM was given this kind of lifetime security, Neil Smith would still be in charge somewhere.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

12 minutes ago, Phil said:

What have you done for me lately? He hasn't won anything in the entire salary cap era. His last Cup was '03. That's going on two decades ago. If every Cup-winning GM was given this kind of lifetime security, Neil Smith would still be in charge somewhere.

This.

lou isn’t made for todays NHL. 

25 minutes ago, Phil said:

if Neil Smith won us 3 cups, he'd still have a job here instead of Slats

Just now, CCCP said:

if Neil Smith won us 3 cups, he'd still have a job here instead of Slats

And if he went two decades without winning shit after, I'd be here, saying the same thing I am about Lou: you're no longer relevant.

1 minute ago, CCCP said:

really?  what about Slats?  he hasnt won shit and is still here.  

Also should have been gone a long time ago. Hell, he should have been fired after telling the hockey world that if he had the Rangers' budget he'd win the Cup every year, then went on to do exactly not that.

1 minute ago, CCCP said:

Lou won 3 cups with NJ who had an internal cap.  Lou is old but you cant deny his achievements. 

No one is denying his 3 cups and general success but he’s clearly not a top dog anymore.

Just now, CCCP said:

really?  what about Slats?  he hasnt won shit and is still here.  

man argument can be made that slats had done more since being hired by the rangers than Lou has for the devils/isles if you discount that 03 cup.