• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Lose More Scouting Staff: Kevin Maxwell and Chris Morehouse Leave for Other NHL Jobs

Phil

56 minutes ago, Phil said:

In Morehouse's case, I think he's going to CBJ to work for JD again (his father-in-law).

That makes sense....I can see that.

We could use some new blood in the scouting ranks anyway, I think.

The Rangers have done a particularly bad job of scouting frontline talent in the draft over the last decade.  Good at finding defensemen and pretty poor at finding impact forwards.

Change is generally good.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Br4d said:

The Rangers have done a particularly bad job of scouting frontline talent in the draft over the last decade.  Good at finding defensemen and pretty poor at finding impact forwards.

Change is generally good.

Good thing you mentioned just the last decade because the one prior included Dylan McIlrath, Bobby Sanguinetti and Michael DelZotto...........

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Slobberknocker said:

clearly drury has the keys to the kingdom now.  jd/gorts did good work since the letter.  drury will be judged on if he gets us a parade.

This can’t be worse for drafting and player development.

look at how shitty Hartford has been in recent memory. And it’s not because they had top two draft picks that made them unable to develop players at any  level 

The house cleaning in the scouting department is long overdue.

With the exception of Shesty and Kreider the Rangers best players all came in from outside the organization.  You can't do that for long without getting capstrung and the Rangers are capstrung right now.

41 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The house cleaning in the scouting department is long overdue.

With the exception of Shesty and Kreider the Rangers best players all came in from outside the organization.  You can't do that for long without getting capstrung and the Rangers are capstrung right now.

Current players* sure

I don’t know how far back you want to go but they’ve had decent success drafting;

I’ll start with 2020:

-laf (okay a freebie)

-schneider

-cuylle

-garand 

2019:

-krappo busto

-robertson

-henriksson (okay jury is still out?)

-jones

2018:

-kravtsov

-miller

-lundqvist 

-lindbom (jury is still out)

-keane (traded for something if I remember correctly)

-pauuniemi 

2017:

-andersson (okay first major whif)

-chytil

-barron 

(no second or third round picks this year)

2016 (no first or second round pick):

- Sean day 

-reunanen

-gettinger

-wall

-ronning

(no diamond in the rough but prospects that at least made the AHL you draft late rounds for depth and that’s exactly what they got I guess)

2015 (no first, two third rounders):

-huska in the 7th

(okay bad draft)

2014 (no first, 6th or 7th):

-halverson (played in the ahl? I think?)

-shesty

(bad draft- but also got our franchise goalie so not really)

2013 (no first, no second, 3 thirds, no fifth or seventh)

-buch

-duclair

-graves

-skapski

2012 (no third, 6th or 7th)

-sjkei

-nieves

i think I’ll end it there. 

I’m not saying they’re a shining example of drafting but I think this is far from a terrible draft record.

Since 2012 they had 10 picks (10 in 10) in the first round and all except for Anderson are nhl players or projecting to be;

-othman

-laf

-schneider

-busto

-kravtsov

-miller

-lundqvist

-Anderson ( *might just be cursed after throwing his wjc medal)
-chytil

-skjei 

2014, 2015 & 2016 I guess you can call bad drafts (I would love to compare to how other teams did those years to get the full picture but I also don’t care enough to do that) but you’re basically getting 2-3 players who made it to the show in each draft - keeping in mind a lot of these years the picks were late in the rounds too.

Edited by siddious

2 minutes ago, CCCP said:

if drury fails he'll have no one else to blame but him.  this is his team/organization now.  

I'm actually pretty good with that, Simon.  It might just be a better philosophy than having "too many cooks in the kitchen".

I'm also pretty keen on having some new blood in the scouting ranks.  Pete (@siddious) already pointed out we haven't been too terrible in that area, but some new ideas and new thinking could very well land us some solid players that fit better in the years to come.

On 8/10/2022 at 9:10 AM, siddious said:

Current players* sure

I don’t know how far back you want to go but they’ve had decent success drafting;

2014, 2015 & 2016 I guess you can call bad drafts (I would love to compare to how other teams did those years to get the full picture but I also don’t care enough to do that) but you’re basically getting 2-3 players who made it to the show in each draft - keeping in mind a lot of these years the picks were late in the rounds too.

Who are the star players the Rangers have drafted in the 1st round over the last decade?

I could be wrong but I think they are 0-fer-10 at this point in actually drafting a major star in the 1st round.  This is a *huge* failure on the part of the scouting and drafting apparatchiks on the Rangers the last decade.

The last star the Rangers drafted in the 1st round who became a star with the Rangers was Chris Kreider in 2009!

45 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Who are the star players the Rangers have drafted in the 1st round over the last decade?

I could be wrong but I think they are 0-fer-10 at this point in actually drafting a major star in the 1st round.  This is a *huge* failure on the part of the scouting and drafting apparatchiks on the Rangers the last decade.

The last star the Rangers drafted in the 1st round who became a star with the Rangers was Chris Kreider in 2009!

Major stars are like two to three per draft. Last 10 years, excluding 2022:

Brennan Othmann - Jury is out

Alexis Lafreniere - Top-6 forward level goal scoring. 2nd on the team in ES goals last year. Jury is still out on ceiling but trending the right way

Kaapo Kakko - Jury is still out but not looking great

Vitali Kravtsov - Potential but also his last chance to prove it with the Rangers this upcoming season

K'Andre Miller - Top-4 NHL defenseman

Nils Lundkvist - stuck behind better and more established RHD, no space for triggermen on the PP. Probably trade bait

Lias Andersson - bust

Filip Chytil - inconsistent middle-6 center

2013 to 2016- no firsts

Brady Skjei - Top-4 NHL defenseman

JT Miller - Top-6 NHL forward

So from 2011 to 2020 (excluding Othmann), we've drafted 10 players in the first round.

1. 4 of them are top-6 forwards or top-4 defensemen (JT Miller, Skjei, K'Andre Miller, Lafreniere).
  2. Two more are NHL players (Chytil and Kakko).
  3. One still has potential to be a scoring winger (Kravtsov).
  4. One is a bust (Andersson) and another is stuck behind depth and trade bait (Lundkvist).

0/10? Please. That first round drafting record is fine IMO. It's the 2nd to 7th round where we always fall short. 

Edited by Cash or Czech
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

You’re not drafting many elite players at 23-32. 

2 hours ago, Br4d said:

And yet here you are in three or four different threads talking about how good K'Andre is... 

4 hours ago, Pete said:

And yet here you are in three or four different threads talking about how good K'Andre is... 

Good prospect is not star.  I do think K'Andre through two seasons is on the best pace a Ranger has been on in awhile.  He's big and has his head in the game.  It's just a question of whether he will clean up the small gaps in his play and become a very good or great player instead of just a solid top 4 guy.  He's huge and if he puts it all together he's going to be great.

Lafreniere is in a similar position.  He still has some gaps but there is no shortage of effort on his part. He needs to turn it up some this year or he's going to become hard for the Rangers to hold on to, particularly if K'Andre steps it up.

We should probably do a list at some point of who the best players who have been drafted in the 1st round each year are and where they were drafted.

The Rangers have now had a #1 overall pick and another guy up near the top.  Those are the guys who have the best chance to be very good right off the bat and with the Rangers it just hasn't happened.

8 hours ago, Br4d said:

Good prospect is not star.  I do think K'Andre through two seasons is on the best pace a Ranger has been on in awhile.  He's big and has his head in the game.  It's just a question of whether he will clean up the small gaps in his play and become a very good or great player instead of just a solid top 4 guy.  He's huge and if he puts it all together he's going to be great.

Lafreniere is in a similar position.  He still has some gaps but there is no shortage of effort on his part. He needs to turn it up some this year or he's going to become hard for the Rangers to hold on to, particularly if K'Andre steps it up.

We should probably do a list at some point of who the best players who have been drafted in the 1st round each year are and where they were drafted.

The Rangers have now had a #1 overall pick and another guy up near the top.  Those are the guys who have the best chance to be very good right off the bat and with the Rangers it just hasn't happened.

Scouting is more about the quality you get in +3R. The first 2 rounds you're pretty much guaranteed an NHL player, provided your scouting staff are not total idiots.

You could look at taking guys like Sean Day and Olaf Lindbom as bigger whiffs than some other guys mentioned. 

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Scouting is more about the quality you get in +3R. The first 2 rounds you're pretty much guaranteed an NHL player, provided your scouting staff are not total idiots.

You could look at taking guys like Sean Day and Olaf Lindbom as bigger whiffs than some other guys mentioned. 

Day is an example of a player that they should go for. Granted exceptional status and expected to be a top pick who fell to the late third. He didn't pan out, but that's not a scouting error.

Lindbom is a whiff and was when he was selected. Ryan Gropp, in a draft class as loaded as 2015, was as well.

1 hour ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Day is an example of a player that they should go for. Granted exceptional status and expected to be a top pick who fell to the late third. He didn't pan out, but that's not a scouting error.

Lindbom is a whiff and was when he was selected. Ryan Gropp, in a draft class as loaded as 2015, was as well.

Day had well known issues on and off the ice. IIRC He was our first pick in that draft, we needed a sure thing, not a big swing at that point of the draft. 

Might have been the right kind of player, but it was the wrong time to make a play like that IMO. 

I think when we're talking about picks after like...40 in the average draft, you have to redefine what hitting on the pick means. It's EXTREMELY rare to pick a high-end player outside the first round. It happens - but it's not common, and that we did it twice in two consecutive drafts (Buchnevich and Shesterkin) may cloud our thinking some. Hitting on a pick like Gropp or Day would have meant picking guys who actually played meaningful bottom-of-the-lineup minutes - maybe talking more about a mid-six forward w/Gropp.

For that reason, I appreciate a pick like Sean Day; the third round is the time to take a massive defenseman with a few warts. If he returned to being the player everyone thought he was a year or two beforehand, that's a great pick. If he doesn't...well...are you really throwing anything of value out? We can retcon this and say we'd have loved to take Jesper Bratt here....but so would every other team picking in the 90 picks between Day and Bratt.