• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Kaapo Kakko to 2-Year/$4.2M Extension; $2.1M AAV

LindG1000

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

It happens, but you can't blame the Rangers as anybody who picked in their position would have made the same picks.

You really have to wonder what they were thinking with Andersson and VK.

I hope they learn not to draft Russians that early anymore, unless it's a can't Kaprizov type. They're not coming over for 4 or 5 years, if they're even coming at all, and then when they get here, there's usually an adjustment period that no one wants to acknowledge.  

Oh, no doubt. I just meant mistimed as far as the players that were considered top picks go. But I mean, you still really can't complain too much. The Rangers were never really that lucky in that past and they still came out with two excellent players anyway.

3 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Sometimes that’s the case.

And both those guys are going to be very good players with long NHL careers.

It could have been the 99 Draft for perspective. 

Right. Kakko has already shown tremendous progress already. You could say his goal against Minnesota was more bad defense, but going by the eye test there, you can see that he's stronger and much more confident in himself. It also didn't help that he basically missed half a season with a wrist injury, that I'm sure is very difficult to come back from and get the feel for your stick back.

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

It happens, but you can't blame the Rangers as anybody who picked in their position would have made the same picks.

I hope they learn not to draft Russians that early anymore, unless it's a can't Kaprizov type. They're not coming over for 4 or 5 years, if they're even coming at all, and then when they get here, there's usually an adjustment period that no one wants to acknowledge.  

The Andersson pick was just a mistake from the word go. You can’t pick a guy with no element to his game being superlative, even in a lesser draft class.

Though I will say, we should all keep in mind that Andersson was never the target nor intended pick.

They made the deal with Arizona for that pick to get Stepan off the books before his NTC kicked in, but also to acquire that pick at 7OVA with the intent of flipping that pick with other asset(s) to move into the top-5, with the intention of drafting Pettersson, Glass,  or one of Heiskanen or Makar if they happened to be there. And they had a deal in principle in place with Vancouver. It just so happened that the Canucks backed out at the last minute. 

I still don’t know why they took him though.

No one had a top-10 grade on him. No one. 

Edited by RangersIn7

1 minute ago, RangersIn7 said:

The Andersson pick was just a mistake from the word go. You can’t pick a guy with no element to his game being superlative, even in a lesser draft class.

Though I will say, we should all keep in mind that Andersson was never the target nor intended pick.

They made the deal with Arizona for that pick to get Stepan off the books before his NTC kicked in, but also to acquire that pick at 7OVA with the intent of flipping that pick with other asset(s) to move into the top-5, with the intention of drafting Pettersson, Suzuki, or one of Heiskanen or Makar if they happened to be there. And they had a deal in principle in place with Vancouver. It just so happened that the Canucks backed out at the last minute. 

That was the pick that totally ended Gordie Clark.

7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Oh, no doubt. I just meant mistimed as far as the players that were considered top picks go. But I mean, you still really can't complain too much. The Rangers were never really that lucky in that past and they still came out with two excellent players anyway.

Right. Kakko has already shown tremendous progress already. You could say his goal against Minnesota was more bad defense, but going by the eye test there, you can see that he's stronger and much more confident in himself. It also didn't help that he basically missed half a season with a wrist injury, that I'm sure is very difficult to come back from and get the feel for your stick back.

He’s still very much within the development phase of his career. He’ll be fine

17 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

They made the deal with Arizona for that pick to get Stepan off the books before his NTC kicked in, but also to acquire that pick at 7OVA with the intent of flipping that pick with other asset(s) to move into the top-5, with the intention of drafting Pettersson, Glass,  or one of Heiskanen or Makar if they happened to be there. And they had a deal in principle in place with Vancouver. It just so happened that the Canucks backed out at the last minute. 

Yeah, it's almost like the Rangers couldn't make the draft because they had other plans and set their choices to Auto draft but when someone took their first round pick, it defaulted to their second round pick. 

• LOL 2
  • Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I hope they learn not to draft Russians that early anymore, unless it's a can't miss Kaprizov type. They're not coming over for 4 or 5 years, if they're even coming at all, and then when they get here, there's usually an adjustment period that no one wants to acknowledge.  

Agree with all of this, but it's also important to remember that they tried to move up to grab higher-profile players.

In 2017, they wanted Cale Makar, and tried to deal with Dallas to get the third overall pick to take him. When that failed, they were praying Pettersson would fall, and if my memory serves, they tried to deal again to move up and take him, but VAN wasn't interested. They basically got stuck with their "safe" pick.

I can't explain the VK pick, at all. Everyone on earth thought they were going Wahlstrom there. McKenzie's final list had him ranked ninth overall.

55 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I don't recall them being linked to Glass at all. Or Heiskanen, but I'd imagine they'd have had a ton of interest. The scuttle at the time was that they wanted Cale Makar badly, and were hoping Pettersson would fall when they failed to deal with Dallas.

I remember reading something from Brooks at the time talking about how the Rangers tried to trade like half their draft capital to Dallas for the third overall for Makar.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I hope they learn not to draft Russians that early anymore, unless it's a can't miss Kaprizov type. They're not coming over for 4 or 5 years, if they're even coming at all, and then when they get here, there's usually an adjustment period that no one wants to acknowledge.  

A can't miss 5th rounder that spent 5 years post-draft in Russia? Lol the contradictions here.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

I don't recall them being linked to Glass at all. Or Heiskanen, but I'd imagine they'd have had a ton of interest. The scuttle at the time was that they wanted Cale Makar badly, and were hoping Pettersson would fall when they failed to deal with Dallas.

I remember reading something from Brooks at the time talking about how the Rangers tried to trade like half their draft capital to Dallas for the third overall for Makar.

You are correct. They were not directly linked to either Glass or Heiskanen. 
They were in love with both Pettersson , who was the primary target, and Makar.

But had either Heiskanen or Glass been there as BPA instead of the former 2 I mentioned, they’d have taken one of them. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Yeah, it's almost like the Rangers couldn't make the draft because they had other plans and set their choices to Auto draft but when someone took their first round pick, it defaulted to their second round pick. 

They just made the mistake of overvaluation of intangibles. 

2 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

A can't miss 5th rounder that spent 5 years post-draft in Russia? Lol the contradictions here.

Can't miss 100pt player the second he comes over. Didn't realize that needed to be explained, guess it did.

Edited by Pete

6 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

https://nypost.com/2022/10/19/kaapo-kakko-may-have-solved-rangers-top-line-dilemma/amp/

I bumped this yesterday with some negative and today I'll add a lil positive. He has looked good with Zib and Kreids. Hopefully he has arrived.

He was bumped off the line midway through the 3rd last night. Goodrow took his place. O didn't hear anything about an injury... Gallant may be a little hard on this kid. 

I think he's played better. Not sure he fits on the 1st line,  but he can adjust his style a bit and maybe be a guy that can collect loose pucks down low. 

He's solid on the puck, but I don't see him clicking with Zib or Kreider with where he currently goes with the puck. Im feeling like he over does it. IMO, tying to slow down the play doesn't fit the way that line plays at even strength. It's something I need to pay a bit more attention to next game,  if he's still on that line. 

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

He was bumped off the line midway through the 3rd last night. Goodrow took his place. O didn't hear anything about an injury... Gallant may be a little hard on this kid. 

I think he's played better. Not sure he fits on the 1st line,  but he can adjust his style a bit and maybe be a guy that can collect loose pucks down low. 

He's solid on the puck, but I don't see him clicking with Zib or Kreider with where he currently goes with the puck. Im feeling like he over does it. IMO, tying to slow down the play doesn't fit the way that line plays at even strength. It's something I need to pay a bit more attention to next game,  if he's still on that line. 

If he is moved off that line already then I really question GG. Kid took his scratch in the playoffs to heart and is reported to have trained extra hard this off season. I think he can anchor that line in down low and let the other guys get open for opportunities. He is playing great this far. The whole team sucked last night.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

If he is moved off that line already then I really question GG. Kid took his scratch in the playoffs to heart and is reported to have trained extra hard this off season. I think he can anchor that line in down low and let the other guys get open for opportunities. He is playing great this far. The whole team sucked last night.

Agree The entire team played horribly last night but it seems that Gallant singled Kakko out. 
I get that the Rangers surpassed expectations last year with Gallant as coach but I am not sold on him. Makes too many head scratching decisions as far as I am concerned 

18 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Except for Chytle

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, The Dude said:

Sometimes I sense that GG may be infected with periodic bouts of Colin Campbell Anti-European Syndrome.

46 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

He didn't get bumped off the line.  He was out on the 4v4 so Goodrow filled in for a shift when 4v4 ended.

My bad. It was very late in the game too.

I must have heard Sam away Goodrow is on the line with Kreider and Zibanejad and took that as Kakko being bumped off. Quick look at the DVR shows Kakko out there with them in the final few seconds of the 3rd. 

I apologize  

16 hours ago, Long live the King said:

He didn't get bumped off the line.  He was out on the 4v4 so Goodrow filled in for a shift when 4v4 ended.

Thank you. I didn’t think he was bumped but by that point in the game I was only casually watching.

• 4 months later...

https://hockeyroyalty.com/2023/03/21/la-kings-a-star-is-emerging-in-quinton-byfield/

I know Kakko was the defined #2 OA but teams go off the board sometimes and this was our opportunity to grab a center at #3 OA. I know Byfield hasn't lit the world on fire but by the looks of progression, I'll go out on a limb and say by next year, the gap will widen a bit between production of Byfield v Kakko. Just some conjecture and conversation. If I could do it again, I'd def take the center over the winger at #2OA during a rebuild. 

Byfield- 21pts- 42 games

Kakko- 34pts- 71 games