• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Kaapo Kakko to 2-Year/$4.2M Extension; $2.1M AAV

LindG1000

• LindG1000 changed the title to Kaapo Kakko Signs a 2-Year, $4.2M Contract $2.1M AAV
  • Phil changed the title to Rangers Re-Sign Kaapo Kakko to 2-Year/$4.2M Extension; $2.1M AAV

With Kakko signed, the Rangers have about $900k in space with a 22 man roster (1 extra F, 1 extra D). If Hunt or Carpenter are removed, it’s about $1.6M if they want to attempt to upgrade (Motte?). I think Drury will want that wiggle room though so I’m kind of expecting him to be done here. Most you might see is a Trivigno or Cuylle over Hunt/Carpenter which will add a $1-200K more against the cap. Those guys are going to have to really earn it.

• Applause 1

47 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Squeezed him to be less than Chytil’s. Yikes.

The kid must have had no offer sheet offers, or he’s simply committed to trying to make it work in NY.

No leverage. Chytil, arguably, showed "more" by this point, too.

• Bullseye 1

30 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

With Kakko signed, the Rangers have about $900k in space with a 22 man roster (1 extra F, 1 extra D). If Hunt or Carpenter are removed, it’s about $1.6M if they want to attempt to upgrade (Motte?). I think Drury will want that wiggle room though so I’m kind of expecting him to be done here. Most you might see is a Trivigno or Cuylle over Hunt/Carpenter which will add a $1-200K more against the cap. Those guys are going to have to really earn it.

Yup. I figured maybe a veteran PTO LD signing in camp (Andy Greene), but I'm not even sure about that anymore. They already have a shitty in-house 7D (Hajek). With Kakko signed, this is the team. I think there's an outside chance that someone who can handle fourth-line duties cracks the lineup (Cuylle or Trivigno). Otherwise, Robertson and Jones battle for 6LD and we're done here. See you all in camp.

49 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

My boy!!!   Gonna make his mark over these 2 years!!! 

So glad they got this done!!!

I'm with you this season when it comes to Kakko.

Kid is about to have that break out season. I'm expecting pretty much 40 points or more out of him. He's just gotta stay healthy and the production will come. 

• Applause 1
  • Believe 1

Just now, The Dude said:

I'm with you this season when it comes to Kakko.

Kid is about to have that break out season. I'm expecting pretty much 40 points or more out of him. He's just gotta stay healthy and the production will come. 

We're on the Kakko-Train my Dude!!!!   Hell yeah!!

• Cheers 2

Just now, Karan said:

Feels to me like a 'Perform, or we're moving on' type of a contract. 

Oh, it's 100% this:

It's believed that the 6-foot-3, 205-pounder is no longer in the untouchable category for potential trade talks, but that doesn't mean that Drury is actively shopping him. In fact, as the roster is currently constructed, the Rangers will need him to play a prominent role.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2022/07/28/kaapo-kakko-signs-two-year-bridge-deal-with-ny-rangers/65373450007/

It's been four years. He's got a year or a year and a half at most to figure it out. If he doesn't there's no way they're keeping him.

4 minutes ago, Slobberknocker said:

exactly.  still only 21 and was hurt much of last year.  hopefully he's training and filling out the bod.

Filling out his body isn't an issue. He has plenty of size. He's slow as fuck, skates like shit, and never shoots the puck.

• Bullseye 1
  • TroCheckmark 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

This is a good contract for both parties. That said, there's reason for optimism and for doubt. 

If you want to be an optimist - find a weirder three years. He hasn't been healthy. He hasn't had consistency. He's got the harder part of the NA Pro game right. 

If you want to doubt - numbers don't lie. Guy doesn't/hasn't produced. There are a couple of stories about guys who really start slow and hit their strides (Adam Graves, Elias Lindholm, maybe Kevin Fiala?) but they're really not common and the overwhelming likelihood is that Kakko will top out as more of a Jamie Langenbrunner than a Rick Nash.

• Like 1

Call me a pessimist, but I'm not very hopeful.

I get that "star" in this case is specific to whatever model they're using, but regardless of their definition versus yours, the warning lights are flashing red all across the dash. He's gone nowhere in four years. Hard to keep believing it'll just magically turn on out of the blue when all the evidence we have suggests exactly the opposite.

He's starting to feel like Benoit Pouliot.

• Keeps it 100 1